Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2014, 04:08 PM

What price for killing a cyclist?

A very well-written article on the causes, after-effects and legal and emotional ramifications of a fatal cycling accident. A lot to think about here. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...nson/17538179/
Old 10-19-2014, 04:55 PM

Thanks for posting. Sobering stuff.

The quote that sticks with me: "This 'I didn't see him on the road' is not an excuse. It's a confession."
Old 10-19-2014, 07:15 PM

They don't seem to get much for killing each other.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:27 PM

I'm not sure this is true: "What befell Gosch and Gray was the most common form of car-bike crash: a rear-end collision or "motorist overtaking bicyclist.""
I always heard that we are most likely to get t-boned (some turning incident, either us or the car), but from behind was the most lethal.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
I'm not sure this is true: "What befell Gosch and Gray was the most common form of car-bike crash: a rear-end collision or "motorist overtaking bicyclist.""
I always heard that we are most likely to get t-boned (some turning incident, either us or the car), but from behind was the most lethal.
The rear end collision is far more likely at night. Ten times more likely. The other rear end collision that is likely is at the top of a hill. With the advent of texting and smart phones, the rear end collision is becoming more common on straight roads in daylight. But honestly, I would still worry about collision at intersections more mostly because they are much more likely. The right hook, left cross and drive outs from side streets and driveways are still more common.
For the time being.
The League did a study and found (not surprisingly) that most deadly crashes were from behind. But that doesn't make the more likely, just more notable.

Last edited by bikinchris; 10-19-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:41 PM

If lawmakers want to understand the root cause of this issue, just read the comments. There's a serious disconnect.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:00 PM

The biggest problem in crashes like this is that you never know the whole picture. Half of the people I've seen riding in the street or even in the local trail are a menace for a driver. My driver side say... "give them the room and always let the slower and lighter vehicle the preference".

Sad that everything was reduced to money but court systems are like that, fines and fees for the infractions. Dont want to defend anybody but there is a chance the fat dude really did not see them due to glare. No idea what habits the riders had neither the type of clothing they were using, white, dark color and sometimes even fluorescent colors you can't see them clearly from far away while driving, add that glare and a rider that is wobbling all over the place and you are calling a disaster.

My wife always asks me why I always pick old team jerseys with a lot of colors and brands all over the place... my answer always is... "because I want people to see me from far away"... she thought I was being cocky... "no, If they see me they won't ran over me with their cars".
Old 10-19-2014, 09:07 PM

I say eye for an eye
Old 10-19-2014, 09:08 PM
Post Mod-ern

I've given that same reason . . .

. . . to people who are equally clueless until I explain it to them. As far as I;m concerned, the more outrageous the costume the better. I don't care if they're laughing at me as long as they don't hit me.

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 10-20-2014, 07:48 AM
Retired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
The biggest problem in crashes like this is that you never know the whole picture. Half of the people I've seen riding in the street or even in the local trail are a menace for a driver. My driver side say... "give them the room and always let the slower and lighter vehicle the preference".

Sad that everything was reduced to money but court systems are like that, fines and fees for the infractions. Dont want to defend anybody but there is a chance the fat dude really did not see them due to glare. No idea what habits the riders had neither the type of clothing they were using, white, dark color and sometimes even fluorescent colors you can't see them clearly from far away while driving, add that glare and a rider that is wobbling all over the place and you are calling a disaster.

My wife always asks me why I always pick old team jerseys with a lot of colors and brands all over the place... my answer always is... "because I want people to see me from far away"... she thought I was being cocky... "no, If they see me they won't ran over me with their cars".
What glare? The sun was at their backs on a straight road with no hills. Like the surviving cyclist said, there couldn't have been more ideal conditions out there.

As one commenter wondered...would the same fine have been levied had the driver hit another vehicle and caused a death?

Kevin g
Old 10-20-2014, 08:03 AM

What price for killing a cyclist?

If by some strange factors a cyclist even injures a motorist the hue & cry will tax the bandwidth...
Old 10-20-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
For motorcyclists by far the most common fatality is the left turn in front of you. Car doesn't see the oncoming motorcycle and turns across traffic motorcycle strikes car.

Bicyclist I'm not sure. I've not seen the statistics but most car-bicycle fatalities I hear about seem to be a car drifting over to the right and either striking the cyclist on the edge of the travel lane, shoulder or path and most seem to be from behind. I suppose because cars and bikes travel in the same direction. The very nature of the incidents suggest driver inattention, texting, dialing or somehow involving the phone or some other task being performed when they should be driving the car.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
If lawmakers want to understand the root cause of this issue, just read the comments. There's a serious disconnect.
If I may, I think we can extrapolate that out for almost all of society's ills. Disconnection, bias, hatred etc have found a new outlet, that of the 'Comments' section of any site. Sad state of affairs to be sure, but a good percent of it is down to the beloved troll.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:55 AM

Found this. Talks about three places & what types of accidents happened most often.
http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Library/TaleOfThree.htm
Old 10-20-2014, 10:13 AM

Only if drivers could respect the lighter vehicle, or figure it out that let the bike guy to pass 1st in a intersection using your car to protect him (stop the traffic behind you) will save his life...

Did not read the part of the glare... fat dude screwed up then, lawyer is paid to get the guy off jail, win for the lawyer but from what I felt from the article the driver is really touched by the accident. Hope this changed his life from now on.