Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2014, 08:45 PM

I have a 1998 Outback with 1998 WRX STI driveline and suspension. Has a boost controller and remote exhaust silencer so can be driven in unobnoxious granny fuel save mode quite easily.

Fun car to drive, loads of room, owes me SFA and nobody pays it a second glance.

Just got some late model stock Liberty/Legacy wheels on it to fit the bigger brakes under them.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:56 PM

Subaru Forester. AWD, unlike an earlier poster said is far superior for snowy driving. 4WD is superior for muddy dirt roads and the like.
For moving bikes and such, a Ford Transit Connect would be great. The newer ones are going to be out of your budget, but maybe you can find an older one. FWD works fine in the snow.
Ford is giving away a new TC for people who have interesting lives. You get to tell a story and win it and a chance to get on a reality show.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:02 PM

I miss my miata. For utility it's hard to beat a 4 cyl 2wd pickup, wagons are nice but ones that are reliable and also get good gas mileage are expensive (or tiny). Not a subaru fan, just don't like how they feel or handle compared to cars with better chassis like BMW or sport specific rwd cars, they also get mediocre gas mileage and seem to need more maintenance with things like axles and wheel bearings than normal RWD cars.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:04 PM

What about a Nissan Xterra?
Old 10-19-2014, 09:11 PM

Get something cheap and dependable to get you by 'till you move. Vehicles have much less rust here, especially if you are looking at 10 year old models.

Lot's of clean unmodified Toyotas around, (other than Tacomas which seem to be a magnet for lift kits and everything else). 4Runners are great before and after the 3.0 6cyl, which ended in '95. Almost called on an '89 with 200k for $2k last week. Perfect vehicle for dogs and bikes.

Previa all-trac, if you can find one that's been well maintained and doesn't have too many miles, is the bomb. Sienna with AWD also good. Wait on an FJ till CO, or buy one in the south.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:14 PM

Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4, 4cyl. 24mpg and a beast in the snow.

-Joe
Old 10-19-2014, 09:17 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
Subaru Forester. AWD, unlike an earlier poster said is far superior for snowy driving.
I would agree with you when it comes to a Subie... I was speaking more to most of the systems they put on passenger cars or passenger car-based SUVs...

also, just curious... why do you think a 4WD is better suited to Mud and AWD to snow? I will admit a locker is nice to have in snow with a 4WD... not trying to argue, just curious...
Old 10-19-2014, 09:25 PM

Honda Element has served my wife and I well as a camping/ninja camping vehicle. We have camped in the element all over the CA coast.
I took out the back seats, there is enough room for my wife and I and our 65lbs Airedale to sleep inside comfortably. On several occasions we also had our two bikes inside with us and the dog

https://plus.google.com/photos/10770...98299235325025
Old 10-19-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
I would agree with you when it comes to a Subie... I was speaking more to most of the systems they put on passenger cars or passenger car-based SUVs...

also, just curious... why do you think a 4WD is better suited to Mud and AWD to snow? I will admit a locker is nice to have in snow with a 4WD... not trying to argue, just curious...
I can't speak for the other person. But my wife has a forester. With studded snows it is great in the snow. One really nice thing about AWD vs 4WD is that you never have to turn it on. So if you encounter bad weather you don't have to shift in to 4WD.

That said, I love my little truck.

Cheers,
-Joe
Old 10-19-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4, 4cyl. 24mpg and a beast in the snow.

-Joe
One of the best ever! Sadly, the single cab Tacoma is no longer offered, AND, the 2.7 4cyl/manual trans/4wd is not available west of PA, at least in my digging around for that configuration for 2015. The T website states, "Not available in your region. Please contact your local dealer for more information."
Old 10-19-2014, 09:40 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
I can't speak for the other person. But my wife has a forester. With studded snows it is great in the snow. One really nice thing about AWD vs 4WD is that you never have to turn it on. So if you encounter bad weather you don't have to shift in to 4WD.

That said, I love my little truck.

Cheers,
-Joe
I hear you Joe... BTW- your pic above makes me so envious! I wish I had that kind of snow and trails here in Kodiak!
Old 10-19-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post

The power split between front and rear axles is not adjustable on 4WD. Torque vectoring can help keep you on the road on AWD. With a 4WD in a turn (at higher speeds), you can swap ends of the vehicle when the wheels on one axle spin out because they are being driven just as hard as the others. A 4WD with traction control (brakes are applied on each wheel as needed) can help relieve that, though. But not many 4WD vehicles have that, since 4WD is more for towing and crawling on really loose and muddy terrain with the low gearing.

Last edited by bikinchris; 10-19-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:41 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
The power split between front and rear axles is not adjustable on 4WD. Torque vectoring can help keep you on the road on AWD. With a 4WD in a turn (at higher speeds), you can swap ends of the vehicle when the wheels on one axle spin out because they are being driven just as hard as the others. A 4WD with traction control (brakes are applied on each wheel as needed) can help relieve that, though. But not many 4WD vehicles have that, since 4WD is more for towing and crawling on really loose and muddy terrain with the low gearing.
I guess I could see that...
Old 10-20-2014, 07:22 AM

Lets see your utility vehicles on a budget

Wow! I made this thread and fell directly asleep. Thanks for the replies guys!

Odyssey is a good option! They are getting cheap. Mileage sucks on all of these of course.

Basically all of my choices are available in my price range but it's all about how beat up a vehicle I'm willing to purchase. I'm going to look at a 2002 highlander with 150k today but that's a lot of miles. In thinking subies will probably be lower miles for the price. Foresters are definitely getting down there.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stien View Post
I'm going to look at a 2002 highlander with 150k today but that's a lot of miles.
I wouldn't worry too much about 150K miles on a Toyota. Have you ever seen the Top Gear episode about killing a Toyota? Classic!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTPnIpjodA8 .

Texbike