Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2014, 06:51 AM

Those things have two exit holes as campy does?
Old 10-20-2014, 03:01 PM
kg

OP here again. I'm living in Madrid now and I made a few calls. No one stocks DA 9000 cables for individual sale and two shops told me that they don't think Shimano even makes individual cables available.

I was prepared to chalk the cable-chewing shifter up to the normal cost of having high-zoot parts but now I'm miffed. Shimano has a know design flaw, apparently not fixed with the 9001 rev, and I'm supposed to pay 50 euros plus installation for an entirely new set of cables and housing every time my shifter eats a cable for lunch? That's too much cost to be acceptable.

Does anyone know what recourse I might have? I'm no longer living in the country where I bought the components. Should I contact the Spanish importer of Shimano or should I contact Shimano in Japan directly?

Thanks for your advice.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:37 PM

Spaniards dont have jagwire cables??? or clarks??

Spain is very interesting, they always do crap like that... the other thing is that if you dont ask them for other brands they wont bother to tell you what else they have like in other places... you ask a question the dude will answer it. Ask if they have jagwire (in this case use spanish JOTA instead of the american J and wire is guire or the dude wont know ˇˇˇ are you saying).

If you continue having issues let me know I might be able to contact one of my friends in madrid that do cycling, he might be able to help you.

Last edited by ultraman6970; 10-20-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:30 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
OP here again. I'm living in Madrid now and I made a few calls. No one stocks DA 9000 cables for individual sale and two shops told me that they don't think Shimano even makes individual cables available.

I was prepared to chalk the cable-chewing shifter up to the normal cost of having high-zoot parts but now I'm miffed. Shimano has a know design flaw, apparently not fixed with the 9001 rev, and I'm supposed to pay 50 euros plus installation for an entirely new set of cables and housing every time my shifter eats a cable for lunch? That's too much cost to be acceptable.

Does anyone know what recourse I might have? I'm no longer living in the country where I bought the components. Should I contact the Spanish importer of Shimano or should I contact Shimano in Japan directly?

Thanks for your advice.
Any Not super slick 9000 inner wires will work, just not as smooth. Yes, shimano still offers individual inner wires, even 9000 ones, just not where you are, unfortunately.

My rec? Not trying to be too Campagnolo centric, sell the shifters/Ders, get Record and be done with it.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-21-2014 at 06:21 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:50 PM

Probikekit.com has them.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:12 AM
kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
Probikekit.com has them.
I don't see individual polymer coated derailleur cables for sale at PBK. I see sets for 32 Euros or individual PTFE cables which were made for DA 7900.

My understanding is that the polymer coated cables go a long way to making the 9000 shifting as amazing as it is, so although a regular cable will work, I think you mostly get regular shifting from it. There's nothing wrong with regular shifting of course but I'm peeved that there's a design flaw AND that I can't seem to buy individual cables.

This is the first time that I'm really frustrated with Shimano. Companies that charge an ultra-premium for their products have to do better.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:38 AM

Arts has them, Western Bike Works has them, so your LBS can get them. Just the inner derailleur wires are $20-25, but I don't know if that's for one or two.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Arts has them, Western Bike Works has them, so your LBS can get them. Just the inner derailleur wires are $20-25, but I don't know if that's for one or two.
Or your LBS has them, $20 per pretty sure, der cable.

Considering 9000/6800 and now 5800
'Depend' on them, I'd say more common.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:03 AM

Di2 does not depend on them
Old 10-21-2014, 10:07 AM

Jagwire Teflon-Coated?

Has anybody tried the Jagwire teflon-coated cables with 9000 or 6800 shifters?

http://jagwire.com/products/v/Shift_..._Teflon_Coated

At first glance, they seem to be a more affordable and widely-available solution.

- Greg
Old 10-21-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I don't see individual polymer coated derailleur cables for sale at PBK. I see sets for 32 Euros or individual PTFE cables which were made for DA 7900.

My understanding is that the polymer coated cables go a long way to making the 9000 shifting as amazing as it is, so although a regular cable will work, I think you mostly get regular shifting from it. There's nothing wrong with regular shifting of course but I'm peeved that there's a design flaw AND that I can't seem to buy individual cables.

This is the first time that I'm really frustrated with Shimano. Companies that charge an ultra-premium for their products have to do better.
.I'd be peeved too. So much so that I'd switch to Campy. Oh wait, I already did that. They have their idiosyncrasies too, but I prefer the quirky Italian.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:19 AM
Vendor

Quote:
OP here again. I'm living in Madrid now...
Go to Bicicletas Felix Perez in San Fernando de Henares. Don't go if you're in a rush, though.... I always go there.

Av de Enrique Tierno Galván, 3, 28830 San Fernando de Henares, Madrid, Spain
Phone:+34 916 69 26 73

Last edited by rain dogs; 10-22-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:01 AM
kg

Thanks for the recommendation. Looks like it's an hour from me by metro. I did buy some used rollers in that area a couple of days ago. There were a lot of cyclists out there.

On another Madrid-related theme, I've been riding in the Sierra to the north, including a Cat 1 climb called la Morcuera that is often used in the Vuelta. It's just shy of 10k at 7% avg with 1k at 10%. It's really cool to get the feel of an actual grand tour climb. It's a lot harder than I thought it would be. Apparently, Contador has done it in 22 mins. I haven't been able to get under 34 yet. I'm sure I can get 32 in the spring but it would take a lot to dip under 30. We get relatively few chances in cycling to compare our efforts to the pros. It's just jaw dropping.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:49 AM

avail at probike kit?

Isn't this what we are all looking for? http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-ge.../10769563.html
Old 10-22-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Isn't this what we are all looking for? http://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-ge.../10769563.html
No...

The PTFE cable (at Probikekit) would be this:

http://www.artscyclery.com/Shimano_S...crumb=RDMCOMPS

What he is looking for is this:

http://www.artscyclery.com/Shimano_S...crumb=RDMCOMPS