Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2014, 10:36 AM

How does a colnago master descend

I'm looking at getting a master. I usually ride a 57-59 top tube on most bikes I've had so pretty big bikes. I have had a lot of problems with bikes being too whippy while descending. I've got speed wobbles on a few of those bikes and I live in a really hilly area where I can get up to 50 mph probably once a week.

So for those of you who have had master's did they feel stiff or did you have problems with speed wobbles.

Btw currently riding a peg love #3
Old 10-18-2014, 11:20 AM

Anyone have any scary wobbles on a colnago or have it been solid
Old 10-18-2014, 11:29 AM

May have a bit more to do with weight, yours. I have a Master X Light, size 56. When I was at my (so called) fighting weight, 170-ish, no wobble whatsoever, but at my heaviest, 225-ish, and living in a very hilly area, no hands at 50 mph, yeah some very slight wobble, but gone when I was on the hoods, tops, drops. Back under 200 and no wobble. Not sure on a 57 59, although with those longer pipes......... Fwiw the Colnago is one of my favorite bikes, still in regular rotation.

Last edited by binxnyrwarrsoul; 10-19-2014 at 03:36 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:31 AM

I have a late 90's Colnago Master. It descends and handles just fine. I've never experienced a speed wobble on it. Of, course I'm old and slow.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:33 AM
Member?

I am at the opposite end of the spectrum - 140 lbs and 49cm Master Piu. Rock solid descender. However I keep my hands on the bars at 50 mph!
Old 10-18-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post
I am at the opposite end of the spectrum - 140 lbs and 49cm Master Piu. Rock solid descender. However I keep my hands on the bars at 50 mph!
Same here, had them off for maybe 2 seconds. I'm fearless on descents, not insane.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:39 AM

I have a Colnago Master (60cm Freuler with 58 top) and it is very stable at all speeds, well balanced and comfortable. All in all a great bike, with no complaints. It's now mostly used as my daily commute bike, but was my "best" bike for 10 years.

I also own a Pegoretti Duende (pretty much stock 58) with identical positioning and find the stability on fast descents to be very similar. All in the Peg is a little more responsive without loosing stability, a little stiffer under power and a touch more comfortable on poor surfaces, although some of that could be the 25mm corsa sc tyres vs the 23 corsa cx on the master, both on H Plus Son Archetypes.

If buying new I would spend the extra on the Duende, if second hand, the Master comes pretty close and far better chance of getting one at a good price.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:51 AM
That guy..

I float 180-190 lbs. 58cm X light. Never had any issues. Ever. Not even descending on the tt at 95+km. Going up the hill though.... Not the stiffest Haha.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bantamben View Post
Anyone have any scary wobbles on a colnago or have it been solid
So did you have problems with wobbles on the De Rosa Neo Primato? A shop owner that sells both has told me that the Master was stiffer and therefore better for heavier riders. But I'm only 180-185 lbs.

But besides the stiffer tubes, IMHO, Colnagos are the best descending bikes EVER! I have a lot more confidence descending my Extreme C and C40 than when I'm on any of my other 8 roadies. I attribute that to the geometry of Colnagos.

Last edited by Nags&Ducs; 10-18-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nags&Ducs View Post
IMHO, Colnagos are the best descending bikes EVER! I have a lot more confidence descending my Extreme C and C40 than when I'm on any of my other 8 roadies. I attribute that to the geometry of Colnagos.
I would have to agree! My C40 HP is rock solid at speed, but so is my De Rosa Primato.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezerboy View Post
I have a Colnago Master (60cm Freuler with 58 top) and it is very stable at all speeds, well balanced and comfortable. All in all a great bike, with no complaints. It's now mostly used as my daily commute bike, but was my "best" bike for 10 years.

I also own a Pegoretti Duende (pretty much stock 58) with identical positioning and find the stability on fast descents to be very similar. All in the Peg is a little more responsive without loosing stability, a little stiffer under power and a touch more comfortable on poor surfaces, although some of that could be the 25mm corsa sc tyres vs the 23 corsa cx on the master, both on H Plus Son Archetypes.

If buying new I would spend the extra on the Duende, if second hand, the Master comes pretty close and far better chance of getting one at a good price.
Agree. My descents almost never go over 45 mph, but my Duende is the most comfortable and stable bike I've ridden downhill. Corner at the bottom or a pothole to dodge… no big deal. The Master X Light I owned was close, though. Never any wobble or instability.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:31 PM

I've got a Colnago Oval Master ti that I've had to 55 MPH. I weigh 171 lbs and am 6'2" - it's plenty stiff enough for me.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:35 PM
The B!

I hear guys talk about wobble on descent... I think every bike I've ever owned (which hasn't really been that many, actually) wobbles if I let it start to resonate, off the saddle. I generally clamp the saddle with my thighs automatically, as soon as I get up off the saddle and tuck, to prevent it.

Is this what people are talking about when they talk about descent wobble? Up off the saddle, aerotucked? Or are we talking while still seated? With saddle thigh-clamped? Other?
Old 10-18-2014, 06:42 PM

BantamBen there is a detail you know... that everybody is telling you that the bike doesnt wooble at fast speeds doesnt mean it wont happen to you, the reason I say this is because probably all the users answering your question are fitted right in the bike.

In general lines there are bikes that have a geometry that pretty much everybody will have problems getting fit, bikes you can't ride no hands or that wooble from giving them the evil eye. But if the fit is wrong any bike will behave like crap you know.

If are we talking about high end racing bikes and having problems with wooble or handling is almost sure the fit is wrong, AKA, the weight distribution you have in the bike is wrong big time. If you fit a colnago wrong it might do the same weird stuff the others had been doing to you too you know. Specially if you have like 95% of the weight in the back of the bike.

Just something to think about.

ps: never had wooble problems ever even with craptastic bikes .
Old 10-18-2014, 06:51 PM
Total Fred

My Master X Light does not have any wobble, but my Oval Master Ti with the same precisa fork does have a slight wobble if I take my hands off the bars. Assuming something is not aligned because the same wheels were fine on another bike.

Tai

Last edited by KidWok; 10-19-2014 at 09:22 AM.