Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2014, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Let's not jab others for their choices in lights. Whatever you like and works for you is great, just use something when it gets dark. Don't be like a lot of the college students in this town who ride with no lights .
Old 10-14-2014, 07:43 PM
not banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O View Post
You are perfectly entitled to feel that way and you are perfectly entitled to prefer whatever light you like. Where you are incorrect is in implying that people who prefer other options do so only on price.

There's a third kind of person - the type that thinks the dinotte is obnoxiously bright for urban conditions (I think they make more sense on higher speed, less used roads), unnecessary, and inferior due to charging. Key words - for where/when I ride.

Wait . . . I'm sorry, a bit to clear up here. I know you're reading - so I'll respond.

1. I never, even remotely implied that people preferred other lights based on price. You said that, not me. Period. Yes, Dinotte is more expensive - they are also direct and don't go through the local bike shop. My point was people don't know - not people can't afford. Please, keep it on task.

2. "dinotte is obnoxiously bright for urban conditions" - um, that is a significant variable. You never said that until now. Now, to show I'm fair - would I ride a Dinotte on the Capital Crescent trail in Washington, DC and MD - a rails to trails that has no cars and only other bikers and pedestrians (DC does classify as urban, right). No, no I wouldn't. It would be obnoxious. Guess what, though, there is ZERO ambient light and bikers, for example, are always looking around their physical surroundings - pot holes, rocks, other riders - these are just some of the things we keep an eye out for. Drivers. They have to deal with tons of ambient light - other cars, stop lights, street lights - and they don't give 2 squats about pot holes or rocks - so add a blinky in there and, well, it better be substantial. Again, a variable you never pointed out.

3. "due to charging" - well, again, your preference - I myself like my batteries to be chargeable, but I digress.

So, in the end, I did a totally scientific experiment. Tonight I had drinks at a bar - rode the half mile from my house, mostly downhill, through town (totally lit up with lights) to the bar. I dusted off the old planet bike superflash (not the turbo, but it works). I went to the bar and met my friends before dark. Drank 3 beers and got buzzed. Sun was down. Rode my bike home with super flash. Went through town, albeit not urban, but a road, not a trail. Rode up the hill to my house, no lights on the road, totally dark - totally slow (and I was buzzed). Dinotte wins - for sure - well unless you don't like to charge batteries - there is literally no competition - it's science, but I digress.

I'm buzzed, that's my take and I shall see you on the road with a bright strobe!!!!!

Last edited by velomonkey; 10-14-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:58 PM

My experience with both the Dinotte 300R and 400R, is they are the only rear lights that have illicit praise from cagers at traffic stops. Have also driven behind Dinotte rear lights at various distance and light conditions, and have never felt they were too bright. On the contrary, I'll be ordering the more powerful Designshine rearlight when it becomes available. Your own riding and traffic conditions may vary.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:16 PM

I've had several compliments on my Magicshine taillight. I don't know who made it, but it is fairly large and bright. It was an option from Geomangear when I bought my headlight. Well worth it.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Barely Hanging On

From the limited time I spend driving, I can say the differences between the various tail lights are quite noticeable. There are the lousy lights that I notice mainly because I am paying a whole lot more attention than the average driver. There are the decent lights that I see because I'm not completely distracted. When I run across someone who has a really good one, which is not that often since most people don't have them and I don't drive much any way, I really notice.

For what it's worth, I use a knog blinder as my current tail light, which I think is somewhere between the pretty good and really good (though not in the really good) categories.

If I rode much during the dark, which I do not any more, I would go all the way and get a Dinotte and then on the Design Shine waiting list. My own opinion is that you cannot be too visible.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:17 PM

The Dinotte resembles more of a Police light then a Bicycle light.
It's that good.

Cars can spot you 1 mile back.

Excellent quality and superior customer service.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Let's not jab others for their choices in lights. Whatever you like and works for you is great, just use something when it gets dark. Don't be like a lot of the college students in this town who ride with no lights .
Yup-when riding home one night, on a frontage road, me with lights, I just 'feel' the guy that passed going to other direction, didn't even see him. I'm kinda on the fence about lights during the day. I don't ride anywhere during the week w/o a shoulder. Too much traffic. I wear bright-ish jerseys/vests/jackets. No lights(and I have been nailed from behind while riding by a lady in a Dodge Dakota..she was asleep-10am on a Saturday).

My determining factor was ease of putting on/off and USB. And what I sold in the shop(duh)..Cateye, Blackburn, L&M..kinda like a helmet, 'may' help, never hurt.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-15-2014 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:26 AM