Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2014, 10:37 AM
not banished

Gonna pile on

Let me just pile on here: there are 2 types of people. The people that say "I can get 7 planet bike rear red lights for the same price." And then the people who actually have a Dinotte and will never, ever, ever use any other tail light. So, yea, it's worth 7 of them and then some!!!!

I have the light this one replaced - fantastic quality, USB charger is great and as others have said: a driver will change their habits when they see this light.

Seems Dinotte improved on perfection (though I will say mine is a tad heavy, but I'm not complaining).
Old 10-14-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velomonkey View Post
Let me just pile on here: there are 2 types of people. The people that say "I can get 7 planet bike rear red lights for the same price." And then the people who actually have a Dinotte and will never, ever, ever use any other tail light. So, yea, it's worth 7 of them and then some!!!!
100% true. I have 7+ types of all the other lights and they're sitting in a box somewhere. I take care of my Dinotte like any other expensive piece of bike gear and if it gets lost, stolen, breaks, etc...I'll go right out and gladly buy another.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:26 AM

Which ever approach one takes, be safe out there folks, it is getting really dark...
Old 10-14-2014, 11:32 AM
not banished

Review

So here is a review I did a few years ago, sorry about being too verbose. It's the Dinotte, the planet bike and a cateye - it's really no comparison. Damn, my old colnago EPQ makes an appearance - never should have gotten rid of that bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIhEV3cPzKE

Last edited by velomonkey; 10-14-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:41 AM

The Dinotte web site says the Quad is 200 lumens bright. Can't really compare that to the Cygolite I currently have which only gives its specs in watts used. Google search turns up a post by some guy saying it is 60 lumens, perhaps 100. Who knows. It is very bright and you can definitely see it during the day. Definitely brighter than my former Super Turbo blinky.

The only comparisonn I can come up with is vis-a-vis the Quad is my Cygolite 280 front light, which claims to be 280 lumens. This is really quite bright, and definitely too bright for a rear light. Bike riders coming the other way during the day have actually complained a couple times, and cars sometimes will pull over at dusk to let me descend past them because it is so annoying to them (just happened again yesterday). Makes me wonder if the Dinoette Quad's 200 lumens are too bright for a rear light? Can you turn it down while on flash mode? Or do its four LEDs somehow give off more light but at a lower intensity than the Cygolite 280 single LED?

I also just noticed Dinotte has an amber version of the Quad which is supposed to be used as a front blinky. I like this a lot since I don't really ride at night so a front headlight is not ideal.

Last edited by professerr; 10-14-2014 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spell mfg name wrong
Old 10-14-2014, 11:48 AM
aka RAEKWON

Anyone use one in the city? I feel like it would blind cyclists behind you.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
So here is a review I did a few years ago, sorry about being too verbose. It's the Dinotte, the planet bike and a cateye - it's really no comparison. Damn, my old colnago EPQ makes an appearance - never should have gotten rid of that bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIhEV3cPzKE
lol, your video was one of the reasons I splurged on the 300R! Dinotte should give you a Quad as commission.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:35 PM

Planet Bikes and other lights in the same class, are good for not getting rear ended by other bicycles.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:47 PM

Thanks guys for all the great replies. I didn't intend to reopen the best blinky discussion again as that was pretty well beaten to death here:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...hlight=dinotte

I did a 100 mile weekend ride on Angeles Crest Hwy and we had a variety of taillights in our group of five. I was using a PB Superflash Turbo, most others were Cygolite Hotshot, with my buddy running two Hotshots one above the other. Otherall, nothing we had was good enough for the bright sunny conditions when viewed at a distance. The 2x Hotshots was marginally acceptable.

So that's way I came home and decided to try a Dinotte. What I may get is the Dinotte 400R AA powered light ($129) and use my own Eneloop rechargeable AA's (2 or 4 cell). Not a big fan of USB recharging
Old 10-14-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:

I have the light this one replaced - fantastic quality, USB charger is great and as others have said: a driver will change their habits when they see this light.

Seems Dinotte improved on perfection (though I will say mine is a tad heavy, but I'm not complaining).
Incorrect. I have the dinotte and prefer using the turbos because I think they make more sense. As far as how bright it is, there is a point where bright enough is bright enough...and for my needs, the PB turbo is plenty bright enough.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:55 PM

I have a Niterider 2W USB Solas. It is a nice light, rechargeable via USB.

http://robonza.blogspot.com/2012/09/...hargeable.html

But its not the dinotte. I don't ride in the city or on roads much anymore so I have no tried a 400 lumen rear light out yet.

-Joe
Old 10-14-2014, 02:10 PM
Epic=No Smiles

I have a SOLAS. I have a L&M 180 Vis. I have a Dinotte 300R, which this light replaces.

When it comes to bright light and a lot of light, they're basically a UPS truck, a Fedex truck, and the Maersk McKinney Moller. Not quite the same.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:17 PM
not banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O View Post
Incorrect. I have the dinotte and prefer using the turbos because I think they make more sense. As far as how bright it is, there is a point where bright enough is bright enough...and for my needs, the PB turbo is plenty bright enough.
The same discussion is had about weight with regard to a bike. Here is all I know - the whole "too bright" thing is way, way overplayed.

I mean, whatever, exception to the rule I guess - there is literally no scenario where I would prefer my turbo to my denotte.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
The same discussion is had about weight with regard to a bike. Here is all I know - the whole "too bright" thing is way, way overplayed.

I mean, whatever, exception to the rule I guess - there is literally no scenario where I would prefer my turbo to my denotte.
You are perfectly entitled to feel that way and you are perfectly entitled to prefer whatever light you like. Where you are incorrect is in implying that people who prefer other options do so only on price.

There's a third kind of person - the type that thinks the dinotte is obnoxiously bright for urban conditions (I think they make more sense on higher speed, less used roads), unnecessary, and inferior due to charging. Key words - for where/when I ride.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:01 PM

At some point, is it reasonable to worry that a taillight could be too bright? When it's dark and I stand behind my Planet Bike Superflash, it's pretty disorienting. It seems like a significantly brighter light could impair a driver's vision as they try to pass, similar to driving with your high beams on. Just something I've wondered about...