Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post

Of Course I prefer the enduro style a lot more, a much more upright riding position, not so much a body rocket waiting to happen. A motard for what you're describing would be my idea of 250 fun. That aside I say go for it, I look forward to the bike rack on motorcycle thread.
Test ride an enduro bike.
ALso, I am not sure how that 250 will handle a passenger, if you are ever considering that.
Have fun and BE CAREFUL. The paint on the road is very slippery in the rain.
I want a bike again, but three little kids? no way.
I would get a BMW f650gs
Old 04-10-2013, 04:40 PM

An enduro bike is tall and short folks can't get both feet on the ground when they straddle one. This makes most new riders very nervous.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:29 PM

This is really ot in a way, since angry started this thread looking for advice on a very nice small bike. The little Hondas are just great. My first real bike was also small, a Triumph mountain cub, 200cc. I bought it in pieces and rebuilt it. As elegant and as difficult to keep running a bike as there ever was, but endearing in sn un fathomable way. Small bikes have their qualities, and the good ones really over achieve. I think theHondas are in that later category. My second bike, remarkably, after the first, was also a Triumph, but this time the best one they ever made, IMHO : a '68 Daytona 500, aquamarine and silver, with delicious chrome accents, dual carbs, great balance, and stunning acceleration for its time. It was so beautiful, and so much fun to ride fast, that I reassessed my life expectancy with it, and sold it to get seriously into bicycles, which in the end, have been a salvation and balm.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Administrator

OK, got the bike.

Super fun.

Its going to take some learning, for sure.

Someone recommend me a decent lightweight jacket for the warmer months of the year. riding around in a hooded sweatshirt is getting a bit old.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:42 AM

aerostich (sic) makes wonderful stuff and it's worth the $$$ but---cycle gear stores sell a lot of their own brands for very reasonable prices and it's decent.

What bike did you get?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post

What bike did you get?
Thanks Ken,

2012 leftover - cbr 250R

I know the majority recommendation was to go used for a first bike, but for what they were moving the 2012's for brand new, it was hard to say no.

really loving the bike.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
OK, got the bike.

Super fun.

Someone recommend me a decent lightweight jacket for the warmer months of the year. riding around in a hooded sweatshirt is getting a bit old.
I use a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5 for the hot & humid Mid-Atlantic Summers. Mesh is not as protective as full leather but this is something that will actually get worn. Make sure you get good gloves and boots. Then, pants. Jeans don't protect you at all when you go down.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-0-Jacket.aspx

Tim
Old 05-03-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
OK, got the bike.

Super fun.

Gear for motorcycles is probably more diverse and debated than for bikes. There are several online sites that sell as well as review gear.

Personally I think you should always wear a jacket with at least some degree of armor and pants as well. You don't have to be going that fast to sustain an incredible amount of road rash.

I live in the southeast and will admit to occasionally riding without proper gear but I try not to. I own jackets by Klim as well as several others, very expensive but functional and durable, popular with the dual sport crowd. They are many good manufacturers of equally good stuff for much less.

For straight up road I usually wear leather in moderate weather and armored synthetic in hot or very cold/wet. aerostitch makes some very nice leather that is also expensive but surprisingly cool and very nice.

If there is a cycle gear near you they usually have a lot of moderately priced stuff you can look at and try on. The are the performance cycling of motorcycling.

One other thing if this is something you like and will stick with I would highly suggest at some point, maybe not now some professional performance instruction. It will help you tremendously with management in panic situations. Just like cars and drivers many folks with years in the saddle really can't ride or remotely control their bikes in a panic situation. Most of the deaths/serious injury I saw as an ER doc came from a left turn in front of the rider and not much you can do there except always expect it, but many serious injuries from high siding in a curve or just not holding the line and leaving the road usually near the apex. This is an accident that is almost 100% in your control but folks panic and high side. Also learn to really use your front brake. It's a lot of fun but requires practice and awareness. Good luck.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
One other thing if this is something you like and will stick with I would highly suggest at some point, maybe not now some professional performance instruction. It will help you tremendously with management in panic situations. Just like cars and drivers many folks with years in the saddle really can't ride or remotely control their bikes in a panic situation. Most of the deaths/serious injury I saw as an ER doc came from a left turn in front of the rider and not much you can do there except always expect it, but many serious injuries from high siding in a curve or just not holding the line and leaving the road usually near the apex. This is an accident that is almost 100% in your control but folks panic and high side. Also learn to really use your front brake. It's a lot of fun but requires practice and awareness. Good luck.
thanks for all of that advice malcolm. i do indeed plan on taking some good classes once i get the basics down. for right now my plan is to keep working the basics while keeping my speed very low. at this point i dont plan on pushing the bike or myself near it's capabilities. there is a lot to learn, for sure.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Nick, congrats. Please take the MSF Basic Ridercourse as soon as humanly possible.

And get some good protective gear asap.

Best wishes for a fun, motorcycle-filled summer.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Ex-Mr.President

Well, I persoanlly ride in just a mesh shirt and really short cut off shorts. When it rains I use cowboy boots, but flip flops also work well.

ICON has decent stuff. I have liked their stuff for awhile, but since I ride a Ducati I am only allowed to look like a power ranger so I am full racing suit and body armor all of the time. Yeah like Ducati makes anyhting that fits huge fatties like me.

I if you find soemthign that fits well with decent armor then you will be ok. Mesh makes plenty of sense, but a riding pal of mine says he would rather be sweaty then bleeding...he only wears leather.

Hope you enjoy the bike. I don't care what anyone says (especially the know it alls) but riding a motorcycle is truly one of the things a man has to experience. I wish I would have started sooner, but I am loving it now.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
OK, got the bike.

Super fun.

Check out the flea market on ADVRider.com. LOTS of upgrade-itis of riding gear goes on. Buy something semi-used and save $$. I got my entire Whale Foreskin Suit (aka Rallye 2 Pro) for the price of the jacket new.

If you're a size 44 I can make you a deal on a perforated leather jacket. Not my style of jacket, so I haven't worn it but a few times in the few years I've owned it.

M
Old 05-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Thanks Ken,

2012 leftover - cbr 250R

I know the majority recommendation was to go used for a first bike, but for what they were moving the 2012's for brand new, it was hard to say no.

really loving the bike.
Congrats. Honda really does make a superior bike (of course I'm just comparing the Hondas I've owned to the Ducati I owned and the BMW I currently own ). Seriously, if I had to choose a first bike (or a last bike) it would be a Honda.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:47 AM

An old mtb buddy teaches at Rider Education of New Jersey.

www.renj.com

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ri...J/242254837421
Old 05-03-2013, 12:02 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Angry, congrats on the bike. An online store that I can highly recommend for both good prices and service is http://www.motorcyclegear.com/. Ride safe and remember that everyone is out to get you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.President View Post
Mesh makes plenty of sense, but a riding pal of mine says he would rather be sweaty then bleeding...he only wears leather.
I fall into that category as well, no matter what the temps I wear leather pants and jacket. When it's hot I use a perforated leather jacket and I really feel pretty comfortable as long as I'm moving. Fortunately my location means that I don't have to worry about riding in what can even remotely be called "traffic". I know that there is a lot of mesh gear that seems to be highly regarded but I simply can't make myself trust it; if I was going to buy mesh I think that a Kush-itani (remove the space, otherwise it comes out Ku****ani) would be my first choice.