Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2014, 09:52 PM
BikeTech

Ride Video from L'Eroica 2014

Here's a little video I put together for a friend who rode L'Eroica this year. Looks like a must do ride for me in the future.

http://www.gravelcyclist.com/videos/...ca-ride-video/

Feel free to check out the other silly articles I've posted
Old 10-18-2014, 10:04 PM

Great video, thanks for sharing. And kudos to your mate!
Old 10-18-2014, 10:08 PM

Looks like beautiful riding. I am ashamed that in the 6.5yrs that I lives in Switzerland, I never once pedaled a bike in Italy. Swiss and French riding is awesome, but it seems that there is a little something extra about riding in Italy (maybe just psychological?)

Anyways, I know this is discussed at length in a million other threads, but what are the tech requirements for bikes in this race/ride? Bikes produces before a certain year? No integrating shifting, clipless pedals, carbon, what else? Is there a limit to gear ranges? What about cassette hubs vs freewheels? Just curious.

Also, it seems there the ride is for the pure joy of riding, but are there go-fast racers who set aside their Dogmas in exchange for a 1970s Pinarello with clips and straps? That would be fun to watch.

Last edited by d_douglas; 10-18-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:31 PM
BikeTech

Here you go - http://en.eroica.it/regulation

A few of the bicycle regulations include:

Pre 1987 steel road bikes only (no CX, no TT), only exceptions are Alan or Vitus screwed and glued bikes.

Downtube shifters, or pre-1980 bar end shifters.

Toe strap pedals, or the death trap Cinelli M71's.

No aero brake levers.

32+ spoke wheels, low profile sub 20mm rims.

Personally, I'm bummed about the frame regulations, because I'd love to ride a Teledyne Titan, Exxon Graftek or (assuming I found one), the Hi-E Cosmopolitan.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:29 PM

Ride Video from L'Eroica 2014

What a great video. Now I have to build my first steel frame back up and try to make this ride in 2015. Thanks for posting this...I think.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:07 AM

Nicely done and I liked the music.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:32 PM
BikeTech

Thank you gents. My friend (Kerry), who rode the event was a little remiss with his camera work. Rather than running the Go Pro in one button-on mode, and turning it on and off, the camera sat mostly in standby mode, and slowly but surely, ran the battery down. Kerry's a good cyclist, but a technology luddite.

Over the course of 11 hours of fun riding, all we have to show is four minutes of footage I was really hoping to see the ride end festivities. I guess this means I'll have to do Eroica sometime soon!

So, if any Aussies are watching this thread, and have a sweet Australian steel frame lurking in their stash, pre-1987 and 54-55cm on the top tube, ping me! Kenevans... mmmm. Or, I'll take a nice Alan or Vitus too. Then, I need to find a nice mid 1980's Mavic gruppo... first world problems
Old 10-20-2014, 05:20 PM

SOOOOOO cool!
Sooooo jealous!!!

I'm bummed & confused about the no CX rule.
I'd LOVE to do this on my mid 80s Guerciotti/Alan CX. I mean, the only difference between the the CX & road version of those bikes is the cantilevers. Otherwise they're exactly the same frames. Plus, many old bikes had cantis & I doubt they'd shun a old tourer or randonneur so equipped...
Old 10-20-2014, 08:16 PM

Surprised to hear no vintage CX bikes. I guess they want everyone to rough it on the dirt.

Even though K-Dogg messed up the camera setting, the editing in time with the music was great.

The L'Eroica will be MY reward when my children graduate from college.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:24 AM
BikeTech

The organizers are sticklers about the rules, and I agree the no CX bike rule is a disappointment. Mrs K-Dogg was disqualified, because she chose to use her regular clipless pedals. She made this decision before heading to Italy, after watching K-Dogg go arse up in front of their house, after he couldn't free himself from the toestraps

K-Dogg wrote an epic ride report, which you can check out here... http://www.gravelcyclist.com/race-re...a-ride-report/