Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2014, 10:40 AM

Santa Fe trip - overthinking tire selection

5 days in Santa Fe. Staying 5 miles or so north of main market area. Sorta rugged up there I hear. Bringing my bike. No epic rides, just some 60-90 jaunts to see some new roads/views before breakfast.

I have 25mm Veloflex on there now. Should I swap those out for 28mm Ruffy Tuffy? No idea what roads are like there.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:02 AM

overthinking tire selection YES

Last edited by nm87710; 04-12-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:04 AM

25's should be fine. Rocky Mtn aggregates are a little rougher than some but I ride further N with 25's all the time. Don't overthink it. The bigger problem would be "goatheads", stay off the grass/weeds on the shoulder.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:39 AM
Engine problems

My 190lb self does just fine on similar roads (and some packed dirt) with 25's. You ought to be just fine. Good advice on the goats heads, though. Those things are a royal PITA-- take extra tubes if they're an issue.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:44 AM

I have zero experience with goatheads. I'm assuming those are a type of thorny somethingorother, and that the New Mexico countryside is not strewn with the heads of goats.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:58 AM

Goatheads
http://imgarcade.com/1/goat-head-thorn/

They can ruin your day on the bike.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:02 PM

[QUOTE=FastforaSlowGuy;1642176]I have zero experience with goatheads. I'm assuming those are a type of thorny somethingorother, and that the New Mexico countryside is not strewn with the heads of goats.[/QUOTE

You should contact me and I will take you on some of my favorite rides.

PM me.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:05 PM

Make at least one trip up the mountain while you're there. It's a nice climb that has a nice reprieve on the way up and speed scrubber on the way down.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Make at least one trip up the mountain while you're there. It's a nice climb that has a nice reprieve on the way up and speed scrubber on the way down.
Where is the reprieve on the way up?

4k feet in 15 miles. It is a grueling climb. I suffer up it at least once a week. The descent is awesome, especially when there is little traffic.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:33 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastforaSlowGuy View Post
I have zero experience with goatheads. I'm assuming those are a type of thorny somethingorother, and that the New Mexico countryside is not strewn with the heads of goats.
Get some sealant, Stans or Orange seal and put in tubes.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_Biker View Post
Where is the reprieve on the way up?

4k feet in 15 miles. It is a grueling climb. I suffer up it at least once a week. The descent is awesome, especially when there is little traffic.
There's that little downhill section past Ten Thousand Waves that curves to the right as I recall (?). It's early in to the climb, but I always appreciated the slight break. It's been a few years since I've ridden it, although I still drive out there to ski with the kids alot.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
There's that little downhill section past Ten Thousand Waves that curves to the right as I recall (?). It's early in to the climb, but I always appreciated the slight break. It's been a few years since I've ridden it, although I still drive out there to ski with the kids alot.
I was just joking. I thought you meant that spot. That is before the real climbing, and suffering begins. The toughest part of that section is when you encounter it after the descend. Legs are still fried from the grueling climb and there it is, a crazy steep section near the end of the ride.

I am probably a bit dramatic. Super fit riders don't have any problem with that section on either the beginning or the end. It is us mortals who suffer on it.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_Biker View Post
I was just joking. I thought you meant that spot. That is before the real climbing, and suffering begins. The toughest part of that section is when you encounter it after the descend. Legs are still fried from the grueling climb and there it is, a crazy steep section near the end of the ride.

I am probably a bit dramatic. Super fit riders don't have any problem with that section on either the beginning or the end. It is us mortals who suffer on it.
Could be that it's just us, but I always appreciate the reprieve no matter how soon it shows up and on the way down I always hope to be going fast enough that I don't have to do any more work.

Last edited by Chris; 10-20-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
My mother lives by that dip. First time I ever tried to climb anything, I started there and climbed VERY slowly to the ski area. I had the wrong gears, too much weight and I wasn't acclimated to the altitude. Just before i got to the top, my wife pulled up in the car. She was surprised that i wasn't dead.