Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2014, 05:29 AM

SMP Composite Saddle - Ride Report

I spent 9 hours in this saddle yesterday riding 210 k ms.

It did very well, and even though my sit bones started to feel tender after 7 hours in the saddle (as expected for any saddle of this time I believe), I feel it performed really well and was able to ride on through this as the pain was tolerable.

I am feeling good today, 24 hours after the event had completed.

Riding the stiff carbon Oltre XR frame on the road with tubulars at 110psi with this saddle was great. I really tested this bike yesterday, and despite a few high speed scary moments, I am happy.

After riding without any traffic light impediments in NT for 2 years, I am now down in the big city with traffic lights galore, grrrr.

Tips on approaching lights (red and green)? In terms of gear shift downwards, breaking, clipping in/out, etc?

Splash
Old 10-20-2014, 09:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
I spent 9 hours in this saddle yesterday riding 210 k ms.

It did very well, and even though my sit bones started to feel tender after 7 hours in the saddle (as expected for any saddle of this time I believe), I feel it performed really well and was able to ride on through this as the pain was tolerable.

I am feeling good today, 24 hours after the event had completed.

Riding the stiff carbon Oltre XR frame on the road with tubulars at 110psi with this saddle was great. I really tested this bike yesterday, and despite a few high speed scary moments, I am happy.

After riding without any traffic light impediments in NT for 2 years, I am now down in the big city with traffic lights galore, grrrr.

Tips on approaching lights (red and green)? In terms of gear shift downwards, breaking, clipping in/out, etc?

Splash
SMP Glider got me back on the bike post saddle sore. I noticed first couple of rides my sitz bones were sore. Could be the first time I'm actually sitting on them while on bike. Yes saddle seriously ugly but don't see it when riding on it and butt comfort the top of the hit parade when it comes to riding. Even got a red one on my Moots, matches HS and stem/seat post red bits.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:32 AM

Moots and smp. Cant really go wrong there can ya!!
Old 10-20-2014, 10:06 AM

Put my eye in one for a long time but never been able to try one, my other thing is that I'm not a person that needs assistance from the saddle keeping my position and saddles that are like curved in the back did not work for me at all.

Saddle sores sucks.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

As you approach a green light just keep riding but still don't trust cars to blow through a red light in your path.
When approaching a red light I usually downshift a couple of gears. 3-5 meters before you reach the intersection unclip one foot so it's free to balance yourself when you stop. Most people when they first start riding clip in pedals wait too late then find themselves clipped in and stopped- then they fall over because they can't get out quickly enough . It's embarrassing and count me in this group. You don't repeat the mistake.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:07 PM

I am the most conservative rider I know so take this with a grain of salt.

I slow down significantly prior to arriving at the intersection so that I will not be tempted to keep my speed since I am already slowed down. Gets me completely out of speed mode to safety priority. I try to time lights so I can go through without stopping. Always shift to a power gear for quick acceleration capability. Clip out depending on speed; if going slow and not pedaling then it is easier to clip out quickly versus soft pedaling at a faster speed.

Last edited by dekindy; 10-20-2014 at 02:10 PM.