Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-22-2017, 03:28 PM

Anyone rented bikes (MTB) out of Anchorage?

Planning a 5-day bike packing trip on the Kenai. Currently we're planning on boxing our bikes, but we won't be returning to where we unpack the boxes, which means either the pain in the ass of finding boxes after our trek, or the expense of dumping at a shop for pack-n-ship. On top of that, the couple hundred in shipping bikes.

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience renting mountain bikes (hard tail - we're looking to cover lots of distance, not shred much gnar, and will be slapping frame handlebar and seat bags on these)

- John
Old 06-22-2017, 04:42 PM

If you will end up in Homer, there's a couple of decent shops there that would likely have boxes available, but yeah the shipping expense is going to be a big hit. There are shops in Soldotna and Homer that rent MTB, but the bikes are nothing special.

This guy may be a good resource and have leads for Anchorage.

http://www.cyclelogicalhomer.com/

Curious about your plans...when? where?

As part of an Anchorage to Homer ride, my son did the Resurrection Trail from Hope to Cooper Landing on a hard tail and said it was brutal...and this kid (30) loves to suffer.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited by Exonerv; 06-22-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:47 PM

Yup, we were planning a loop including the Resurrection Trail - we heard the same thing. Sounds brutal/fun. As to when, probably the end of August/beginning of September, after the undergrowth starts to die off.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:02 PM

Great time to be there! Have fished the Peninsula for the past 15 years and know the area well. Happy to share info. My older son corrected me and noted his brother did the trail on a rigid bike with no suspension on 40's. He said it took much longer than he'd planned. He's in Juneau now, but would likely be willing to chat if you want his experience.

I wondered if the guy in Homer at Cyclelogic might be able to have someone shuttle the bikes to Anchorage that time of the season and let you ride them back down. Lots of folks heading for Anchorage after Labor Day...

There's one section I would make a point to avoid and that's the area from Cooper Landing back to the Seward Highway. Lots of truck & RV traffic on some narrow sections of highway there. The Resurrection Trail heading south brings you out past the worst of it.

Last edited by Exonerv; 06-22-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:25 PM

The Bicycle Shop is where the famed bikepacker lael wilcox works out of when she's home. they may be able to hook you up given they're a big part of her scene.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:00 AM

I actually called the bicycle shop, based on that exact logic - I'm a fan of Wilcox for sure. They gave good tips on riding, and have bikes but for $75 a day, which adds up.

Exonerv, yes, I'd be happy to chat with your son. I'm happy to get as much perspective as I can before we solidify plans.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:41 AM

PM sent...keep us updated. Would love to hear about your trip!