Andy Rooney should of done a segment about this
Chapeau sir!
Old 06-22-2017, 08:11 PM
Serotta Red

Location: Leawood, KS- It is in Kansas City, July west tisbury October tucson
Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I mostly ride alone now. It's way less stressful.
Yes, you are always:
Group leader
Pulling
Decide when to take a break
Always finish first
Never get dropped
SN# HC-54-265
Old 06-22-2017, 08:12 PM
Serotta Red

Location: Leawood, KS- It is in Kansas City, July west tisbury October tucson
Andy RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
Andy Rooney should of done a segment about this
Doing his report⚰️
SN# HC-54-265
Old 06-22-2017, 08:17 PM

Those interactions, like the one you had, are what I miss most about living there. Life can be stressful and even bleak, and then there's a moment like you had. Big props for being in the present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmdesigner View Post
I like to stop at stop signs and traffic lights. I've met some nice people that way.
Last year I met a little girl and her parents in the crosswalk all dressed up for her first communion. All I had was a $20 so I gave it to her and wished her a happy life.
Today a man on a motorcycle honked his horn when he passed me. When I got to the top of the hill he was there and asked me if the horn bothered me. I explained that he didn't have to do it for an individual rider. We had a nice conversation and he initiated it which impressed me. He told me his frustrations and I told him mine. I think we both left with an appreciation of others on the road.
I'm not interested in riding fast in urban areas anymore so I am happy to stop and talk or just say "good morning" to a stranger in the crosswalk. They don't expect it and I think it's appreciated.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfrey1112000 View Post
Yes, you are always:
Group leader
Pulling
Decide when to take a break
Always finish first
Never get dropped
and increasing your odds of getting hit by a car
and lowering your odds of completing 100 miles in under 4 hours and being home by noon (unless you're a tri dork on a goofy bika)

long live group rides.

Last edited by beeatnik; 06-22-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:46 AM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
and increasing your odds of getting hit by a car
and lowering your odds of completing 100 miles in under 4 hours and being home by noon (unless you're a tri dork on a goofy bika)

long live group rides.
i like your roadie style
Old 06-23-2017, 06:41 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
If a driver is showing courtesy and it is just the two of you and the driver is waving you through, then accept the courtesy. This situation usually comes up on a quiet road where it is conducive and safe to communicate this way. When this happens to me, because this happens when the driver is making a left turn, as I go past the driver window I wave and say "Thank You" as I go past - Kill 'em with kindness I say. Because I want to acknowledge their consideration and courtesy, I want them to come away from our encounter as feeling normal and non-confrontational. And I want to give them a reason to continue this safe and coexistence behaviour going into the future with other bicyclists.
This is such nice and sage advice. Are you sure that you are not a fellow Canadian? You are really polite eh.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:03 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by casparwhittey View Post
Exactly my thinking as well. I aim to be courteous to the traffic and others around me (applies to whatever vehicle I'm using on the road). While I will stop and give right of way if traffic is present, (and expect groups I ride with to do the same) I also think it's fine to slow up and roll a stop (after checking you're clear) without coming to a complete stop. It depends on circumstances, location (city/rural), time of day, etc - and mostly just being attentive to what's going on around you.
Me too but way to many don't even slow down at that there stop sign..see that everyday I ride..yesterday in Hygiene, as an example for those who ride around the republic.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:13 AM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
This is such nice and sage advice. Are you sure that you are not a fellow Canadian? You are really polite eh.
  • On a human level I know that courtesy should be reciprocated in kind.
  • On a political level I know that someone, especially a motor vehicle operator, that shows awareness and courtesy towards a bicyclist should be treated as a comrade and kindred spirit because of how he acts towards bicyclists rather than treated as an adversary simply because he is in a car. That would be a foolish rush to judgement that hurts the cause of bicycling in the mainstream by possibly turning-off someone who looks favorably on bicycling & bicyclists but was stupidly treated rudely by a roadie.
  • On a traffic safety level I would prefer the driver strictly adhere to the rules of the road and NOT wave a bicyclist through an intersection because it injects variability into a defined traffic sequence & series of events. But provided it is safe to suspend normal traffic rules for this particular occurrence, I will accept the situation as offered for reasons of positive human interaction and a positive gain in bicycling political capital as described in the two points above
Yes I am polite unless someone gives me a reason not to be. But I am also always aware of a bigger picture and will be calculating towards furthering that end when and where neccesary.