Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2017, 08:17 PM
50 bpm

Dammit, I'm tired of cyclists blowing through stop signs

I don't unless I'm in a large group, and then not even then if there are lots of cars. I just don't. I don't put a foot down, but I slow to an almost track stand. If the group drops me, I catch up.

Sometimes I expect too much of others.

Driving home, at a T intersection and I'm turning left onto the through street, which is a "bicycle boulevard." Cyclist in work clothes runs the stop sign as I head into the intersection, swerves like mad to avoid me (just does by probably millimeters, somehow without falling over) and rides on.

If I'd gunned the accelerator I'd have had the cyclist impaled on my front-right quarter panel, seriously injured, maybe dead.

On this particular bicycle boulevard, which many cyclists use to get out of downtown Berkeley, stop signs appear to be more of a suggestion than law. I've been run up on front behind while riding on the street myself. I have tried to educate other riders who I see behaving badly, usually with a friendly "hey, you know ..." and I am usually ignored, sometimes laughed at, occasionally cussed at.

I'm tired of idiots riding like idiots. They **** off drivers and those of us who ride sensibly often incur the wrath of angry drivers that have had bad experiences. As more and more people ride, and if they ride irresponsibly, there will be more accidents that are the fault of the cyclist. I will feel most sad for the innocent driver who will be devastated for an accident that isn't their fault.

We as a community have to do a better job of policing and educating ourselves. There are already too many accidents involving cars and cyclists, most that are the fault of the driver. We don't need to up the ante by riding like ***holes.

Sorry for the rant. This one really shook me up today.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:32 PM

I agree completely. The scufflaws make us all look like jerks. Yes, the potential for affecting others by innattention or conscious ignorance of street signs is a great point. Thank for posting your thoughts.

Last edited by pbarry; 06-21-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:43 PM

I feel ya. Unfortunately just as some drivers continue to text/check socials while driving...some riders will continue to ride recklessly.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:48 PM

If you want respect on the road you must obey basic traffic laws. This means riding on the proper side of the road, stopping at signs, yielding at round abouts and so on. It's not rocket science.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:50 PM

See it all the time.

I don't think these 'cyclists' really appreciate the anger generated among drivers by their behavior. Or the potential consequences.

Lots of folks here in Cheesehead-land despise road bikers. There's enough bad blood that my wife on some level believes someone deliberately took me out two yrs ago.

We don't do ourselves any favors by running stop signs, riding three abreast in traffic, and generally acting like we own the road.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:55 PM

The problem with accidents is not only drivers, some cyclists really suck at riding in the streets aswell. I do get why the drivers get mad and wants to get rid off all cyclists but at the same time as a driver, you have to do your best to ensure non of this idiots riding their bikes like crazy arent killied at least by you/me.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:56 PM

i say "car back" one time now

and then let Darwin take care of those who ride without a mirror or those who choose not to ride single file. Tough to be responsible for the whole community of cyclists and drivers. We're not talking about rocket science but simply basic manners and survival.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:05 PM

Stop signs

I agree with you.

Yesterday I drove my scooter to the next town over to purchase some bread.

There are probably 8 stop signs on that trip.

I saw at least 8 riders run stop signs on my trip. And not kids either- people who should know better.

Cyclists wonder why they don't get respect. You have to give it, to get it.

I am under the opinion that rides in California can't take the responsibility with an "Idaho Stop"- If they don't stop now, they will just go full speed if they feel protected.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

They make me crazy here also. I've also found that even when I'm on my bike and I say something as non-threatening as " You know the traffic laws apply to us also. " I just get attitude or a blank stare in return.

I know we are part of the problem but so many riders need to be educated but have no interest in doing so. That may be in part because I live in a college town and it is mostly student-aged riders that are the worst offenders. Heck, the homeless guys are better at following the law.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:46 PM

One tip, which I'm sure you all know to do...
just drive defensively and always be aware of your surroundings
Old 06-21-2017, 09:57 PM

I agree that cyclists should obey the rules, but some rules are not clear cut. For example, where I live (Maryland) it is sort of country and not all roads are through streets.

There are some intersections where there will be a traffic light that is red and cars will be coming from the left, but they can only turn left or right but cannot go straight because the road does not go through.

On club rides, if there is a shoulder and it seems safe to go, we will not stop but continue to go straight through the red light. I am not sure, but believe the club policy might be right to go through the red light. You are not allowed to do that with a car though and I believe that motorists stopped at the intersection will assume that the crazy cyclists are disobeying the rules.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:01 PM

The cyclist shouldn't have run the sign, but the Bicycle Boulevards are actively designed to discourage through car traffic and encourage bike traffic, giving them a remove from the major arteries that they run parallel to. If you're a sign running cyclist, better on the bike boulevard than the main streets around Berkeley.

Which T were you at? Milvia and Russell?
Old 06-21-2017, 10:09 PM

Totally agree. Learn how to track stand, put a foot down, or at least slow down a whole heck of a lot.

Otherwise you're just pissing off motorists who are gonna take it out on me sometime later...
Old 06-21-2017, 10:10 PM
50 bpm

No. At Berkeley High. I was turning left onto Milvia. A car was stopped at the stop sign. The cyclist blew right through.

I don't take Milvia on my rides home, usually, because of all the crazies. I take Grant to Russell. No traffic, no hipsters.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:11 PM

I mostly ride alone now. It's way less stressful.