Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2017, 01:38 PM

I'd just go with mechanical, with whichever group is most like the Di2 group you're thinking about.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptStash View Post
I took my di2 group of a beautiful deRosa Dual and it looked fine on the deRosa. The wires tape to the bottom of the downtube and are barely noticeable. The di2 specific tape kit is inexpensive. While my battery is on the top of the downtube below the water bottle cage, I have recently seen external batteries mounted below the non-drive side chainstay, which is a better look. You'd probably have to get a little creeative to make that work. Ultegra 10 speed di2 is cheap cheap cheap and well worth it. eTap looks awesome but is pricey pricey pricey.

CaptStash....
Thanks for the tape kit; found it at Art's Cyclery and very inexpensive also.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
there are plenty of threads in the past around the time Di2 was introduced about drilling serotta frames. ottrott was ok into the head tube lug, legend was not ok due to triple butting. ...while it may work, the tiny chance it may not work will toast the frame for you and for resale.

the factory was pretty adamant about this, and not because they were heads buried in the sand hoping electric was a passing fad.

we all have our aesthetic and mfg preferences.

having ridden all three e-groups, I am in the camp that you get used to whatever you are on, and quickly. the only time I get goofed moving between groups is after months on campy when its time for cx, my thumb goes for the paddle thats not there in the first 500 yards from my house. after that, no issue.

the etap hoods I think are really nicely shaped. again, try it and see for yourself. there has to be a specialized dealer near by that will let you roll an s-works around the parking lot.

Was not going to drill anyway but your reply jogged my memory about the Serotta discussion.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:56 PM

Do what any builder who builds a steel or Ti frame does to make it Di2 compatable, drill it. 6mm drill bit, Di2 grommets and it'll look pro.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
I wouldn't drill the Legend. in fact, I wouldn't drill any frame now that a wireless option exists. I mean, you gotta REALLY hate Sram and REALLY want electronic shifting to stomach drilling holes in an older frame. especially something like a Legend.

so just go eTap. it'll work fine, despite what I'm sure many here will lead you to believe. and it'll look fine; way better than taping wires to your frame. also, there are wifli options, so you can run a bigger cassette if you want.
Now that you have made me aware of this option, I see it listed on the eTap product page but eTap is not listed on the wifli page. I have also not seen wifli mentioned in the description or listed as a purchase option anywhere.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:12 PM

Not sure how the shop managed it, but I have eTap on a Legend with a compact crankset and a 32t cog, so it can be done. As others have said, it's better to not drill a Legend. I find the shifting on eTap to be slower than with Di2 or Campy mechhanical, but I won the groupset in a charity raffle so I can't comlain. Also, it's a travel bike, so not having only brake lines is a huge plus.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:20 PM

Rode eTap today and was impressed. Think I will like the hood shape really well.

Spoke with a mechanic that has eTap for over a year and probably 5,000 miles. He was a 20-year Campy used. SRAM offered a great deal so he thought he would try it but expected not to like it and eventually sell it. He loves SRAM eTap and no plans to change.

Last edited by dekindy; 06-19-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
Not sure how the shop managed it, but I have eTap on a Legend with a compact crankset and a 32t cog, so it can be done. As others have said, it's better to not drill a Legend. I find the shifting on eTap to be slower than with Di2 or Campy mechhanical, but I won the groupset in a charity raffle so I can't comlain. Also, it's a travel bike, so not having only brake lines is a huge plus.
Was this recent? Bike mechanic at my LBS says that Wifli to accommodate 30 @ 32 inch cassettes has only been available a month or so.

Last edited by dekindy; 06-19-2017 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekindy View Post
Was this recent? Bike mechanic at my LBS says that Wifli to accommodate 30 @ 32 inch cassettes has only been available a month or so.
Don't know how long it's been available, but here it is:

See if you can guess what is unique about the Legend.

Not many LBSs have these (not my bike):

Old 06-20-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
I find the shifting on eTap to be slower than with Di2 or Campy mechhanical,
Have you used the blips?

I ask because I had the same complaint, then tried installing blips in my natural right hand position for both up and down shifts. It's just as fast as Di2. The delay is actually in the long throw then click of the shift paddle. Silly IMO. I like the zero tactile feedback of 6870/6770.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stien View Post
Have you used the blips?

I ask because I had the same complaint, then tried installing blips in my natural right hand position for both up and down shifts. It's just as fast as Di2. The delay is actually in the long throw then click of the shift paddle. Silly IMO. I like the zero tactile feedback of 6870/6770.
How is it to shift front derailleur with blips in this position?
Old 06-20-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Longer than that.

The eTap WiFLi mid-cage rear derailleur was announced in October, 2016, and available starting in December.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
How is it to shift front derailleur with blips in this position?
I've had it for a week like this, I think it feels natural. When shifting the front I typically shift the back to offset the jump from 52 to 36 or vice versa. I start with the rear shift (keep it pressed) then press the other button to execute the front shift. I've flubbed it a few times but am getting quite good at it.

With my hands in the drops I have the left side at my thumb and right side at either index or middle finger (sprint shifter). I was thinking of moving them so they're stacked and I'll be using only index and middle fingers to shift but do like to have my index finger near the brake lever when racing. Unless I'm going uphill, I'm always in the drops when racing. So my index finger is always at the brake, and my thumb and middle finger ready to shift. My left hand is pretty much just for braking and eating/drinking now.

I bought the 650mm blips and they have some extra wire hanging out inside my 38cm internally routed bars. I wanted the option of moving them to clip-ons for the few stage race TTs we do each year.

Last edited by stien; 06-20-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:37 PM

I am finding that not that many bikes with electronic shifting have been sold and very few existing bikes have been retrofitted with electronic shifting in my area.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:54 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
I am finding that not that many bikes with electronic shifting have been sold and very few existing bikes have been retrofitted with electronic shifting in my area.
I dont know what if anything to imply by that other than local shops will not have much experience. SRAM has good online videos to aid set up, the most important being the FD positioning. There are Di2, EPS and eTAP bikes everywhere here, but of course that means nothing unless you are here. .