Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2017, 02:19 PM
Climber

BMX track - haven't ridden one in 30 years

I took my 8 year old to a local BMX track to try out his skinny tire Mongoose I built for him.
I borrowed a bike from a friend and had such a good time. Brought back memories and was actually quite a leg work out.
Now I am on CL looking for a 24" BMX bike (like I need another bike).
Anyone else on here revisit their BMX past?
Old 06-11-2017, 02:38 PM
Picshooter

Two of our grandkids race. They started racing Strider bikes when they were 3. They race now as an 8 year old boy and a 6 year old Girl. It was funny watching them on clipless pedals at 5.
And what kid of proud Papa would I be if I didn't post photos!

I see plenty of dads racing cruiser class too. Have fun!
Old 06-11-2017, 03:16 PM

They tore down our BMX track last year. It was one of the more well-known tracks across the country. A lot of pros cut their teeth on it.

http://www.orangeybmx.com

My (at the time) 6 year old son had started going and was getting the hang of it on his pretty generic redline BMX bike. He turned 7 and was still getting into it, just going to open nights and riding laps, but then the track closing was announced and the ensuing effort to save it went nowhere.

I really loved watching him go around it. He doesn't really have the killer instinct of a racer; he's the sweetest nicest kid in the world. If someone crashed he would stop everything to try and help. Bums me out though as it did have me wanting to get a bike and join him. I was really into it as a kid (inspired by the movie RAD, like everyone from my generation) and rode and jumped a lot before my dad's road racing inspired me more.

Now he's 8 and Santa got him sort of a generic mongoose with pegs and stuff. doing some local trails, lots of bike path riding to the park and back. He's pretty confident and fast on it, but were a couple of years away from bikes with gears I think. I built up a SSCX All-City to chase him around on now that I don't have as much of a need for a BMX bike.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:51 PM
Picshooter

We have an opposite problem. Our track was recently converted to a Supercross track.https://www.usabmx.com/tracks/1831 At first I was excited but now ,not so much. There is a starting gate / ramp that can only be used by Olympians or Pros. And I am not sure that even the Pro riders are allowed to use it. Just standing next to it is intimidating.
Many of the younger riders say the new track is slower and no longer fun for them. It no longer attracts the number of riders it once did. I find myself wishing they would have made improvements to the bathrooms and left the rest alone.

The joy of riding with your son is something to cherish. Good for you. Let him have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
They tore down our BMX track last year. It was one of the more well-known tracks across the country. A lot of pros cut their teeth on it.

My (at the time) 6 year old son had started going and was getting the hang of it on his pretty generic redline BMX bike. He turned 7 and was still getting into it, just going to open nights and riding laps, but then the track closing was announced and the ensuing effort to save it went nowhere.

I really loved watching him go around it. He doesn't really have the killer instinct of a racer; he's the sweetest nicest kid in the world. If someone crashed he would stop everything to try and help. Bums me out though as it did have me wanting to get a bike and join him. I was really into it as a kid (inspired by the movie RAD, like everyone from my generation) and rode and jumped a lot before my dad's road racing inspired me more.

Now he's 8 and Santa got him sort of a generic mongoose with pegs and stuff. doing some local trails, lots of bike path riding to the park and back. He's pretty confident and fast on it, but were a couple of years away from bikes with gears I think. I built up a SSCX All-City to chase him around on now that I don't have as much of a need for a BMX bike.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:17 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

Quote:

My (now 8 year old) son was pretty bummed with the track closing down. He was racing at Orange Y for a year or so. Since the track closed down, he hasn't been racing much and has other things occupying his time. But he did ask to go to Snow Summit next weekend, and I'm happy to oblige.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:19 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:

Was raised in Orange. Havent been there in 10 years. Bummer that place is gone.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:02 PM

"Anyone else on here revisit their BMX past????"

Actually i never did BMX because i was already doing track racing at 12 y/o but what I loved to do was just go with my banana seat caloi and give the BMX kids a run for their money in that POS bike at the BMX track. You get a pretty explosive doing this, and you get quite good with handling aswell. The downside is that you end up with some enemies

Would love to go to a BMX track? yes... tease with the kids and do some runs? no way, my legs wont be able to take it. Knees and ankles aren't what they used to be But hell yeah, would love to go and run super slow
Old 06-11-2017, 06:01 PM

Sigh

Haven't revisited but sure wish I could!! I lived on my bike when I was a kid. Had a pretty nice Mongoose until some POS punk stole it from my garage. Never did get it back. Once in a while I peruse ebay looking at old school bikes like Hutch, SE Racing, Redline, Kuwahara, Skyway, etc. Would love to go back in time and give er a go again. My old local track disappeared a long time ago unfortunately.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:18 PM

My kids were into it a few years ago but have since lost interest. We had fun doing it and it was great to see their skills improve. I built up a cruiser to play around with during the warm ups and I had a blast with it. Just sits in the garage now waiting to be sold.

If you want a killer cruiser I've got one to sell. It's a pretty sweet build.

My youngest looking good

Cruiser that I need to sell
Old 06-12-2017, 08:23 AM

Cruiser that I need to sell
[/QUOTE]

That is a nice looking cruiser. What size is it?
I'm Interested. Currently checking my local Craigslist for a 24" cruiser.

Last edited by Fatty; 06-12-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:21 AM

Dabbled in BMX growing up. When my son's were old enough, we started going to the track in Fort Wayne, IN. Also, built a small track at home (lived ~30 miles from the Fort) that had a tabletop, a double, 180° berm at one end and a rythym section to finish. Built the jumps on a smaller scale, but good enough for 5 & 7 year olds to practice on.
In 2006, I changed jobs & moved to Waco, TX where there is no BMX so the boys took up mountain biking for a few years until the call of football became too great.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:59 PM
Climber

Just built this for my son. Picked it up for $50 and put another $50 into some parts.
Tried to duplicate the one I had a kid. My son loves it.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:28 AM

No value added in terms of experience riding or parenting but those pics of the kids riding are sweet! Love the pink hair on the helmet, too. Have fun out there!