Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2017, 09:00 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
Not that LeWhinerBron v. Draymond and Steph's injury had anything to do with that, of course....

Have you ever seen LBJ, Kyrie, KLove, and Tristan, etc. on a "we-really- so-much-love-the-community-banana-boat" ride?

Because I have not, not even on that nasty lake Cleveland is "lake-adjacent" to....

This CLE "team" from owner to GM to coach to stars to bench to staff, seems quite rife with substantial dislike.

I am so hoping for hoping for GSW 4-O, with an average margin of victory of 22+.

Just not against the utterly obnoxious CLEgos, I hope.
Do not waste your money on chaff.

I am hoping for a sweep. that would be epic!! I loved last night. I couldn't really cheer cause I had a sick kid on the sofa next to me. But damn was that fun to watch! They just need to keep it up.

I would go even if it were against the Cavs. I don't care about who it were against. I think it's be cool to see the Dubs live is all. Like i've said, they make it fun to watch.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:04 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
Different strokes, I guess. Call it want you want, but the entertainment value of the NBA playoffs has been awful this year. It's the worst year that I can recall. Blowouts, more blowouts, mostly snoozers, save for a couple of isolated games. It's all predictably funneled to Cavs v. Warriors anyway, so the 2 great games were irrelevant. Folks can canonize the Cavs & W's all day, and say that they are great teams - OK fine - but who likes watching 40 point beatings?

The NHL playoffs have been much better this season, at least in the East. Hard fought games for the most part, with some unpredictability involved. Nashville seems to be the best team in the league right now - and yet they are down 2-0 to a beaten up Penguins team that has been eking by somehow, looking like the lesser of each team in the last 2 series but somehow winning.

I'm not a baseball fan, but the Cubs winning the World Series last year? Are you kidding me? How crazy was that?

The NFL has some challenges right now (general fatigue of the Patriots dynasty for one), but it's still the big dog in terms of pro sports leagues. The NBA has issues.

I agree it's been kind of boring but it is what it is. I'm glad the Warriors are getting the chance to make up after last years loss.

I am a big Hockey fan. Sad the Bluejackets and my Rangers didn't make it in the finals. Would've loved that.

Cubs and Indians last year??? HOLY WOW was that insane! I used to live in Chicago and like the Indians. So it was tough who to root for with that one. I had gone to the All Star game when it was here as well as the playoffs and World Series here. It was really cool. Too cold tho. They need to cut down the season by 10 games or so.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:05 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
yeah, that's why they handed Durant 26 million
Yeah, they did. But he also said he'd take the minimum so he could stay there. He loves the Bay Area and loves his teammates and how easy they've made it. He's said he feels at home there.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
yeah, that's why they handed Durant 26 million
If you look at the warriors rosters and their salary cap breakdown you'll see that most players are under paid---so I'm going to have to disagree with the "need every dollar" analysis.

While I do believe it is unfair to have 4 all stars on one team it's the new CBA that put the warriors in the situation.

Consider the alternative--Harrison Barnes wanted a 94 million/ 4 year deal --so 23 million ish/year. For just a little more you get kevin Durant without having to pay a luxury tax. From a GM perspective you're a fool to keep Barnes.

You can get upset about the parity but it's not like the team imploded to sign KD. It's the leagues big salary bump that attributed to this--bad timing I suppose

People are quick to forget that the cavs signed Kyle corver and Andrew bogut mid season in order to strengthen their roster. If Andrew bogut wasn't injured the rim protection and passing for CLE would be phenomally better. Cleveland seems to be the one scrambling to spend money to get better.

Last edited by jtakeda; 06-02-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:11 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
People are quick to forget that the cavs signed Kyle corver and Andrew bogut mid season in order to strengthen their roster. If Andrew bogut wasn't injured the rim protection and passing for CLE would be phenomally better. Cleveland seems to be the one scrambling to spend money to get better.

Agreed here! If you think about the Warriors and their current roster, they have a couple of vets and yes 4 All-Stars. But look at the newbs they have like McCaw. The Cavs have a much fuller, deeper roster of veteran players. They are stacking their bench.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
hey, at least they nailed their motto: "strength in numbers." as in: "we need everyone possible and every dollar we can to beat LeBron, because clearly even the best regular season record ever and a 3-1 lead wasn't enough."
Except that they beat LeBron and the Cavs 4-2 the year before that, without Durant.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockd15 View Post
Except that they beat LeBron and the Cavs 4-2 the year before that, without Durant.
Cavs had two of their stars out injured for that entire series, and a good chunk of the prior ones. they didn't have a prayer, but still won two games. they didn't run out and hire another starter for $30 million because of it.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:42 PM

I'm pretty ambivalent about this series. I have no attachment to either team. This thread is making me want to cheer for the Cavs.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:45 PM

I say CLE in game 6... not a fan of either teams, I guess I dislike GSW > CLE

These super teams makes the league a bit boring to watch. We all knew it was gonna be a GSW v CLE rematch.

Let's go KNICKS!
Old 06-02-2017, 12:47 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvc View Post
I'm pretty ambivalent about this series. I have no attachment to either team. This thread is making me want to cheer for the Cavs.

How dare you! lol
Old 06-02-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Cavs had two of their stars out injured for that entire series, and a good chunk of the prior ones. they didn't have a prayer, but still won two games. they didn't run out and hire another starter for $30 million because of it.
Yes, there's always some reason. But if your beef is that they signed Durant, didn't Cleveland do it 2x by going out and hiring new starters in Lebron and Love? Curry, Green, and Thompson were all drafted by GS.

Salary wise, and I don't keep up with this (at all), but some googling shows...

2014/15
CLE: $81,377,633
GS:$72,585,093

2015/16
CLE: $107,028,395
GS: $95,777,682

2016/17
CLE: $126,590,164
GS: $99,993,851

Also, I'm with sales guy on Jordan! There have been other great players that have done great things, but not like Jordan. In my mind he's alone at the top.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Yes, there's always some reason.
I didn't say they would've won if Love and Irving were in. just that I'm surprised they didn't do worse. if people can make the argument that the Warriors blew up epically last year because Curry was injured (but played) and Green was suspended (of his own stupidity), certainly I can make this statement.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I didn't say they would've won if Love and Irving were in. just that I'm surprised they didn't do worse. if people can make the argument that the Warriors blew up epically last year because Curry was injured (but played) and Green was suspended (of his own stupidity), certainly I can make this statement.
No argument there.

GS should have won last year but just.....collapsed. Then again, I guess OKC could say the same thing. Which is another interesting point, that GS beat Durant last year even when paired with another superstar.

I just don't at all agree that GS went running to sign Durant to be able to compete with Cleveland (or San Antonio...or Houston...or whoever), but to make an already great team, that could already compete with (and usually beat) anyone, even better.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:07 PM
Whale of a

I guess I'm the only guy who actually likes both teams. I love NBA basketball in general.

I am hoping for a great series that goes 7 games.
I think both LeBron and Curry are great people and have gone out of their way to promote good sportsmanship in general while still being ultra competitive on court.

Many future hall of famers in this series.

My major complaint is ticket prices but I only go to 2 games a year.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I just don't at all agree that GS went running to sign Durant to be able to compete with Cleveland (or San Antonio...or Houston...or whoever), but to make an already great team, that could already compete with (and usually beat) anyone, even better.
my point was that last year was the first of the two meetings where both teams were basically healthy. it came down to four points. going out and getting Durant is killing a fly with a bazooka. but yes, I agree they were certainly more than able to compete before, clearly. now they're just dominant.