Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2016, 08:31 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonW87 View Post
So the weekend warrior who buys his Rapha pro team Jersey isn't a "re-enactor"? How about the guy who hasn't had time to train much but pins on a number in a gran fondo and finishes an hour back? How about the guy who's super proud of the Pinarello Dogma he's just bought because he saw Froome win the Tour on one? For that matter, how about the vast majority of us on this forum who don't make a living riding a bike? Calling someone a "re-enactor" because the particular strain of cycling fetishism doesn't accord with some commercially driven vision of what bike a "real" cyclist should be riding? Gimme a break!

Eroica. I like it. But yeah, they're nerd re-enactors. No doubt about it. The rules imposed on the bikes and clothing make the rider's procession through the course a pageant of sorts.

Last edited by ofcounsel; 04-10-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Extreme, maybe, but it easily fits into the category of a complete anachronism. Folks trying to reach some kind of connection with a period that's long-since gone.

That cutoff is nigh-on 40 years ago now. Which might as well be as distant as the Civil War when it comes to where bikes are these days.

I'm glad folks enjoy it and have fun, but it ain't my cuppa.
Don't you ride a lugged steel frame? Well, that's an anachronism, even if you put the latest carbon parts on it.

My 1974 Reynolds 531 steel frame rides just as nicely as my more recent steel frames. The new ones are slightly lighter and stiffer, but the difference is negligible.

The only thing on my bike that I would never go back to the 1980's for is lighting. I have no problem using non-aero brake levers, downtube shifters, 6- or 7-speed drivetrains, or toe clips.

Last edited by fiamme red; 04-10-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:08 PM

It's okay to have opinions. I've never had any interest in L'Eroica but I'm not overly nostalgic and I prefer my bikes to feel safe and slow down without as much effort as my bikes from the 1970's

That said, I hope those who enjoy it have a great time!
Old 04-10-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velomonkey View Post
It hurt the author's knees . . . . . and he had to source parts for an event that's requirement is specific parts.

It's about as logical as complaining you can't do a critical mass ride in your car.
QOTW
Old 04-10-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Is it really a race though? Of course, if you really want to recreate the '70s cycling scene, wool shorts and jerseys should also be supplanted by sansabelt shorts and tube socks.

Campy triples went down to 36 tooth. My granny gear on my tandem was 36-24. I was a lot stronger and lighter those days, it really was a granny gear for me then.

I know a lot of people that did extensive touring on a 42-28 low gear, but if you were sane about it, the TA crank was fine. Lots of people had a TA with a very low granny gear and a decent amount of teeth in the back. There was a Suntour drivetrain with 34 teeth before mountain bikes had been invented. I guess that's not sexy enough for a lot of people, but it's not like you really need to go to MTB derailleurs.
I have a period Avocet triple that goes down to something like 24.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I have a period Avocet triple that goes down to something like 24.
Please don't confuse the discussion with facts.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Don't you ride a lugged steel frame? Well, that's an anachronism, even if you put the latest carbon parts on it.

My 1974 Reynolds 531 steel frame rides just as nicely as my more recent steel frames. The new ones are slightly lighter and stiffer, but the difference is negligible.

The only thing on my bike that I would never go back to the 1980's for is lighting. I have no problem using non-aero brake levers, downtube shifters, 6- or 7-speed drivetrains, or toe clips.
And I freely admit its built using 1975 tech. I'm totally happy with that. Hell, it was a selling point for me.

But the whole Eroica thing? The jerseys, the toe clips, the gearing, the tubulars wrapped around your back? Sorry, but that's a whole nother level of wanting to step into the time machine.

Seriously, look at the first photo on the Eroica site: http://eroica.cc
Old 04-10-2016, 09:33 PM

People, this is not complicated. The Eroica people have set up the kind of party they want to throw. if you like that kind of party, great. If not, don't go. It's really that simple. If you want some other kind of party, go find it. Better yet, show some initiative and put it together yourself. [/discussion]
Old 04-10-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
And I freely admit its built using 1975 tech. I'm totally happy with that. Hell, it was a selling point for me.

But the whole Eroica thing? The jerseys, the toe clips, the gearing, the tubulars wrapped around your back? Sorry, but that's a whole nother level of wanting to step into the time machine.

Seriously, look at the first photo on the Eroica site: http://eroica.cc

Wondering if you are under the age of 50, and did not start riding until you were 30? Let us know.

Many here got started using leather shoes and toe clips and friction shifters and sew ups and wool shorts and jerseys. Not sure what your beef here is..
Old 04-10-2016, 09:40 PM
Randomhead

I don't think there is any question there is some reenactment going on at Eroica. Buy into it or don't.

Worst part for me would be the shoes. I'm pretty sure I threw away my last set of shoes that would work for the ride. I did a full super randonneur series on a Eroica-period bike, and it worked fine. Got really tired of the downtube shifters at about 280 miles into the 600km.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
Wondering if you are under the age of 50, and did not start riding until you were 30? Let us know.

Many here got started using leather shoes and toe clips and friction shifters and sew ups and wool shorts and jerseys. Not sure what your beef here is..
There's no beef. Just an observation that it is what it is. And folks, for whatever reason, unwilling to accept that. Its re-enactment. Its pantomime. Its mimicry of an era gone by taken, in some cases but not all, to absurd lengths.

If you like that stuff, just ride it.

And for context, started riding when I was 13. Started riding dirt because John Tomac was the man. Been riding ever since.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
There's no beef. Just an observation that it is what it is. And folks, for whatever reason, unwilling to accept that. Its re-enactment. Its pantomime. Its mimicry of an era gone by taken, in some cases but not all, to absurd lengths.

If you like that stuff, just ride it.

And for context, started riding when I was 13. Started riding dirt because John Tomac was the man. Been riding ever since.
OK then! you're 37-42.

I started riding when you were not even a wink. Just because you were born at the cusp of index shifting does not make any date before that a bygone era. To use your own words: You are taking the discussion to absurd lengths.

Here's hoping you do not teach history..
Old 04-10-2016, 10:05 PM
il Curmudgeoni

At the moment I'm sitting in the hotel room after finishing the medium route. I had an awesome time, made some new friends and spent a couple of hours in the tent re-hydrating after the ride. I'll be back next year for sure.

The rules are the rules....don't like it, don't do it. But they aren't that complex....steel frame with lugs, DT shifters, non-aero brakes and toe cips. Pretty much anything else goes.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
OK then! you're 37-42.

I started riding when you were not even a wink. Just because you were born at the cusp of index shifting does not make any date before that a bygone era. To use your own words: You are taking the discussion to absurd lengths.

Here's hoping you do not teach history..

Old 04-10-2016, 10:14 PM

I believe that it can be borne out that I was the very first person in North America to ever speak of and "hype" the original Eroica in Italy. This was back in about 2001 or 2002, when the number of participants in Italy was counted in dozens not thousands. It was a typical Italian event and was wonderful. As will be confirmed by anybody who participated in the first ten years of the ride, it was magical and all who were involved did so because of a passion for cycling (I also believe that virtually all who participated in the running of the event were volunteers). In typical Italian fashion there were sketchy outlines of rules, but that was no problem as the most important element needed was passion. The "rules" were considered to be more suggestions than rules. As the years passed the success of the ride and the major influx of riders who were new or relatively new to riding meant that the organizers had to make more well-defined rules. In my opinion, this was not handled all that well. This was in part because the "Italianess" of the ride was lost. One no longer rode for the challenge and passion, one rode to be able to brag that they had participated and had completed the ride (even if it meant forgetting the spirit of the original ride). It is my personal belief that there has been a widening gap between the spirit of the first Eroic rides and all of those being run today. To the point where I would almost prefer to see people taking their vintage bikes to their local century ride, than to see them travel to a far off eroica ride with a bike that has been denatured of its heroic elements. I can however understand why so many people do it. They do it to be able to hang out with like-minded people and have a great time with a great group of friends. On a cultural level, I believe that the California event is quite readily the most removed from the spirit of the original event. Had I my druthers, I would prefer to go to one of the Eroica rides in Italy, Japan or Britain before going to California