Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2016, 09:57 AM

Buzzing noise from rear Mavic hub?

Morning, crew. I've got the oddest noise coming from the rear end of my bike.

I ride with Morning Glory out of Toronto (west end chapter) and the weekday morning circuit takes us down a very short and steep hill followed an abrupt left hand bend with a continued downhill.

My bike is absolutely silent until I get to the apex of the downhill left hand turn where I'm going about 50km and leaning in pretty hard to make the turn. Three times now, at that very moment, I get a buzzing noise that seems to come from the rear hub. At 50km and turning, it's hard to take a time-out and look downwards and back to get a real sense of where the noise is coming from...The buzzing continues for a bit (say 100m) and then ceases.

The wheel spins straight and there is no roughness to the bearings that I see detect.

The sounds takes place regardless of whether I'm pedaling or not...

Any thoughts?
Old 04-15-2016, 10:06 AM

When was the last time you lubed the hub/bearing/bushing with mavic suggested mineral oil? i have a set wheels I need to do this to get rid of vibration or whatever it is.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:44 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_frk View Post
When was the last time you lubed the hub/bearing/bushing with mavic suggested mineral oil? i have a set wheels I need to do this to get rid of vibration or whatever it is.
Or do this with Mobil One.. Better, more tenacious than mineral oil. I'm betting that's what's going on with the OPs rear wheel or the FH body/plastic bushing is worn out or damaged.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:07 PM

Thanks, fellas. I'll pull it apart and have a look. Will it immediately be apparent if the plastic bit is damanged?
Old 04-15-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Thanks, fellas. I'll pull it apart and have a look. Will it immediately be apparent if the plastic bit is damanged?
I would think so - if it is what I am thinking of, it's a white, flat, plastic donut looking part, that has a smooth surface. It's like a fat washer. If it does not look like that, then there may be an issue.