Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2017, 02:02 PM

Psa 585 xl

As a data point, I'll just put this here:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/6185193568.html
Old 06-20-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rePhil View Post
I'm curious to know what bikes former 585 owners moved onto and why? And if they regret it?
FWIW: I regret selling, but you never know. I went from 585 ultra, specialized sl3, pinarello mag dogma, 585, Fondriest tf1. The 585 u is still my favorite. It's awesome but bigger tires would be even more awesome.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
I'm curious to know what bikes former 585 owners moved onto and why? And if they regret it?
585 to a 586, to a Parlee Z5, to a Ridley Helium (my favorite). Also tried a Focus Izalco, Cervelo R5, Cannondale Evo Himod and BH Ultralight. Keeping the Ultralight. Don't miss the others.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:11 AM

I had a C50 before I purchased a 585 and still had it during the ownership of the 585. I liked it just a small amount more than the 585 and decided to keep it versus the Look.

However, I would be perfectly happy with a 585. Examples in exceptional condition seem to bring $500-$700 quite regularly. The CL ad posted above is definitely an outlier for a complete bike.

Texbike
Old 06-21-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
I had a C50 before I purchased a 585 and still had it during the ownership of the 585. I liked it just a small amount more than the 585 and decided to keep it versus the Look.

However, I would be perfectly happy with a 585. Examples in exceptional condition seem to bring $500-$700 quite regularly. The CL ad posted above is definitely an outlier for a complete bike.

Texbike
My experience is exactly the opposite which tells me this is all subjective:

I've had a 585 Ultra before I purchased a C50 and still had it during the ownership of the C50. I liked the 585U just a small amount more than the C50 and would keep it over the C50. However, I think the difference boils down to emotional attachment. It's just hard for me to divorce from something that's spend that much time between my legs. Haven't spent as much time on the C50 and am therefore not as attached. Both are great.

Besides the C50, stable mates are a C'dale Supersix Evo HiMod, Ritchey Breakaway Carbon, and a Peg Marcelo. Also had a few Lemonds and about to sell a Tete de Course (carbon/ti) that is nice. I always regret selling bikes, so I'm sure I'd regret selling the 585 if it came to that.

Last edited by mistermo; 06-21-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:04 PM

I had a 585 and sold it for an Ottrott SE. Still have the Ottrott and picked up a Bianchi Infinito as another carbon go fast bike. AS good as the Look was / is the Bianchi is better in every way.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
I had a 585 and sold it for an Ottrott SE. Still have the Ottrott and picked up a Bianchi Infinito as another carbon go fast bike. AS good as the Look was / is the Bianchi is better in every way.
My Giant TCR Advanced SL is probably better in every way as well. Which makes it hard for me to figure out why I don't ride it as much. I ride my Looks more than the Giant.

I'll have a major dilemma this afternoon when I suit up and go down for a bike selection. Oh the awful choices we face as cyclists!
Old 06-21-2017, 02:50 PM
Picshooter

OK...putting you on the spot. What is better on the Giant? Avg speed? Comfort? Fit? Weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
My Giant TCR Advanced SL is probably better in every way as well. Which makes it hard for me to figure out why I don't ride it as much. I ride my Looks more than the Giant.

I'll have a major dilemma this afternoon when I suit up and go down for a bike selection. Oh the awful choices we face as cyclists!
Old 06-21-2017, 03:30 PM

I'd sure love to try some of these classics and compare them to my Master X-Light
Old 06-21-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
OK...putting you on the spot. What is better on the Giant? Avg speed? Comfort? Fit? Weight?
It's much stiffer without giving up comfort. It's also lighter.

The 'negative' is that it's twitchier at normal riding speeds. Another Giant negative is the lack of a threaded BB shell. The internal cable routing was a nightmare.

The Giant is a pure, modern Tour de France-level of racing bike. The Look is a bit out of date. That doesn't mean I don't really enjoy riding the Look, but it's not as stiff or light as the Giant.

I don't measure average speed in any meaningful way so there's no way I can comment on that. I ride ENVE 45 tubulars on the Giant. They're really stiff, strong wheels that without the tubular tires, would probably have a jarring ride on either bike.

The Look is probably marginally more comfortable, but it's hard to make a noticeable distinction honestly. The Giant fit is a bit more aggressive.

For my daily riding the Looks are great. If I ever enter a race (next year I hope to) it'll be on the Giant, no ifs ands or buts about it.

But we're splitting hairs here. A decade ago the 585 was being ridden in the TdF, so it's hardly a second rate bike. Not in the least. But at the end of the day it's a distant, evolved cousin of the old KG96s that were ridden in the late 1980s. The Giant is much more evolved and it's noticeable at the edges of performance.

Last edited by saab2000; 06-21-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:56 PM
50 bpm

I get to ride a lot of carbon and for the purposes of the ride quality/climbing efficiency/descending ease combo, I put the Look at the top of the list, colored by the fact that I own one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2017, 06:14 PM
Picshooter

Thanks Jim. It's pretty much the answers I was expecting.Your Giant looks like a proper race bike. Regarding the BB would it be possible / worthwhile to use a Praxis or other BB conversion?
The bottom line for me is the Look is more bike than I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
It's much stiffer without giving up comfort. It's also lighter.

The 'negative' is that it's twitchier at normal riding speeds. Another Giant negative is the lack of a threaded BB shell. The internal cable routing was a nightmare.

The Giant is a pure, modern Tour de France-level of racing bike. The Look is a bit out of date. That doesn't mean I don't really enjoy riding the Look, but it's not as stiff or light as the Giant.

I don't measure average speed in any meaningful way so there's no way I can comment on that. I ride ENVE 45 tubulars on the Giant. They're really stiff, strong wheels that without the tubular tires, would probably have a jarring ride on either bike.

The Look is probably marginally more comfortable, but it's hard to make a noticeable distinction honestly. The Giant fit is a bit more aggressive.

For my daily riding the Looks are great. If I ever enter a race (next year I hope to) it'll be on the Giant, no ifs ands or buts about it.

But we're splitting hairs here. A decade ago the 585 was being ridden in the TdF, so it's hardly a second rate bike. Not in the least. But at the end of the day it's a distant, evolved cousin of the old KG96s that were ridden in the late 1980s. The Giant is much more evolved and it's noticeable at the edges of performance.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:26 PM

I purchased a 2008 Look 585 Optimum 1.5 years ago. It is an XXL and in perfect condition. It has 10 speed DA components. I paid $800 for it and was very happy to get it at that price.

You talking to me?
Well, I'm the only one here.