Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2017, 01:08 PM
'97 Ti Legend

Best tubeless disc gravel rim for big(ger) rider

I know there have been a lot of these threads, but none addressed my exact question. I'm having a Ti gravel bike built (I'll use a TRP CX disc fork that should clear 40s) and and it will take 40+ in the frame with thru axel front (15mm) and rear (142x12). I have some 32 hole I9 Torch hubs and I'm thinking about the rims I'll use. I'd like to keep it lightish for my weight (I'm 6'3" and 220 lbs). I'll always use pretty big tubeless tires (either the WTB Fuse [Edit: oops I meant Nano] or Schwlabe G-One, so 38-40mm) so I can't really imagine ever needing more pressure than say 50 PSI, but lets imagine I'd go up to 60 if I went on a pure road ride and didn't have my road bike.

So what rims should I use? I want 23mm interior at least, could go a bit higher. I thought about lightish MTB rims like the aluminum DT Swiss XR 331 or even a Ibis 928 carbon, as well as a more traditional Pacenti SL25 or a Head Belgium +. Should I be looking at road disc or light MTB? What have you all liked? Oh I'll be building them myself, so round out of the box is a big plus.

Last edited by DRZRM; 06-20-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:11 PM
'97 Ti Legend

And if you have a pair of tubeless ready Enve CX29 rims in 32 hole sitting around your workshop you'd let go cheap just PM me straight away.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:21 PM

what is the WTB Fuse?

Nextie carbon rims have been great on my MTB, and I think they'd work well for this situation.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:49 PM
'97 Ti Legend

Sorry, I meant Nano, changed OP.

Huh Nextie, interesting, would be pretty light. Both the 27mm and asymmetric 28 will work with a 1.5 tire, can take 70 psi and set up tubeless.

Talked to Ibis, and they say the 928 rims need more volume than a 1.5 tire. PSA, there is a great deal on new 928 rims on Ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
what is the WTB Fuse?

Nextie carbon rims have been great on my MTB, and I think they'd work well for this situation.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:36 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
I know there have been a lot of these threads, but none addressed my exact question. I'm having a Ti gravel bike built (I'll use a TRP CX disc fork that should clear 40s) and and it will take 40+ in the frame with thru axel front (15mm) and rear (142x12). I have some 32 hole I9 Torch hubs and I'm thinking about the rims I'll use. I'd like to keep it lightish for my weight (I'm 6'3" and 220 lbs). I'll always use pretty big tubeless tires (either the WTB Fuse [Edit: oops I meant Nano] or Schwlabe G-One, so 38-40mm) so I can't really imagine ever needing more pressure than say 50 PSI, but lets imagine I'd go up to 60 if I went on a pure road ride and didn't have my road bike.

So what rims should I use? I want 23mm interior at least, could go a bit higher. I thought about lightish MTB rims like the aluminum DT Swiss XR 331 or even a Ibis 928 carbon, as well as a more traditional Pacenti SL25 or a Head Belgium +. Should I be looking at road disc or light MTB? What have you all liked? Oh I'll be building them myself, so round out of the box is a big plus.
Velocity Blunt 35, DT511(not that wide but neither is others mentioned)
Old 06-20-2017, 03:45 PM

Nox Citico would be my pick for a carbon gravel rim today.

It checks all the boxes for a very nice multi-use rim.

Instagram
Old 06-20-2017, 07:19 PM

Agreed with the Nox Citico recommendation. I don't own a set, but like the specs.

I'm 6'1" and ~217 lbs...weight-lifter. Want to get down to 200. I run a set of Reynolds ATR wheels (21mm inner & 28mm outer). Not sure if you can buy just the rims. Sugarwheelworks builds them, but she may be an exclusive builder. Also not sure if you can get 32h.

Derby has its 23i cx/gravel rims with both 28h and 32h. The specs seem pretty good.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:34 PM

I'd consider the assymetric XR361, at your weight.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:14 PM
extremely tall

Kinlin XR31T would be on my list. Avail in reg + Asym
Old 06-20-2017, 08:20 PM

rims

Nox rims i second them i'm using skyline excellent gravel wheels with Project 321 hubs...
Old 06-20-2017, 08:52 PM

I've liked the Nextie rims I've built up for folks, have a couple sets out there riding tubeless.

I'm going to tear apart my Velocity Aileron wheelset this week, as I'm moving to 650b for those.

I'd let the 700c ailerons go very cheap. They have very low mileage on them. Black, 36h rear, 32h front.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:48 PM

I'm really enjoying the way WTB rims set up these days. Depending on your tire selection you could try the KOM i21 or i23 (both aluminum). The carbon Ci24 is excellent too.

I've set up a few gravel/all road/cx builds and more often than not they inflate easy with a floor pump.

There are a lot of good options these days though.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:38 PM
'97 Ti Legend

I like the WTB rims, and I think I have a set in good enough shape that I could build them up. I have a question about the Nextie vs. the Nox. Both are "cheap" Chinese, but obviously the Nox are much less cheap than the Nextie. Is there a difference that makes the Nox 4x better? Having read reviews by folks that have bashed them around on serious rocky trails for multiple seasons, I'm tempted to just try out the Nextie rims because it keeps my price on the wheels way down. Anyone have any serious problems with them?
Old 06-22-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I like the WTB rims, and I think I have a set in good enough shape that I could build them up. I have a question about the Nextie vs. the Nox. Both are "cheap" Chinese, but obviously the Nox are much less cheap than the Nextie. Is there a difference that makes the Nox 4x better? Having read reviews by folks that have bashed them around on serious rocky trails for multiple seasons, I'm tempted to just try out the Nextie rims because it keeps my price on the wheels way down. Anyone have any serious problems with them?
Can't comment on the Nextie, but have friends riding Nox on and off road with great success.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:

I think you're on the right track.

https://www.dtswiss.com/Components/Rims-MTB/XR-331