Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2017, 10:29 AM

bad boy

have an older ultra its a very fun quick bike,also have a swobo 8 spd igh w discs heavier but so smooth !
Old 06-12-2017, 09:02 PM

I wonder if getting road frame and converting it to a 650b would be a good ripper? I typically see these conversions set up more as touring style bikes but I bet I could find a good candidate.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:25 AM
n - 1

I agree with the mountain bike recommendation, except I'd look at late-90's or early 00's. Spec Stumpjumper, GF Procaliber, Cannondale Caad, etc. I see them for sale every now and then. Usually ~$200 or so. Switch out the fork for a eXotic carbon or Surly Troll.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:56 PM
n - 1

Well, thank you again, PL. I wasn't even looking for another project. At least it was only $20. 1989 Trek 970, lugged steel frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trek970.jpg (104.6 KB, 178 views)
Old 06-21-2017, 01:17 AM

This is my "go as fast as I can on an old mtb" commuter bike.
came stock but added my own personal flair to it. It's honestly my favorite bike right now. Everything is fine...except I do kinda wish I had better brakes...and maybe even some adjustments to the gearing to make it more practical

Last edited by martinez; 06-21-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez View Post

This is my "go as fast as I can on an old mtb" commuter bike.
came stock but added my own personal flair to it. It's honestly my favorite bike right now. Everything is fine...except I do kinda wish I had better brakes...and maybe even some adjustments to the gearing to make it more practical

You got me all excited but I can’t see the picture
Old 06-21-2017, 01:07 PM

They don't make these anymore, but here's my Civia Bryant. It's intended for 700c wheels but I've been using 650bx42 (Babyshoe Pass) with fenders for a long time now. It's split at the (replaceable) dropout to allow for a belt and I have the extra horizontal droupouts to use when setup as single speed or IGH.

I have some WTB Horizons in the garage that I haven't yet tested the fit on, but I'm optimistic about it. I've also been tempted to pick up some 26" wheels and try some Rat Trap Pass on there. Lots of options.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockd15 View Post
They don't make these anymore, but here's my Civia Bryant. It's intended for 700c wheels but I've been using 650bx42 (Babyshoe Pass) with fenders for a long time now. It's split at the (replaceable) dropout to allow for a belt and I have the extra horizontal droupouts to use when setup as single speed or IGH.

I have some WTB Horizons in the garage that I haven't yet tested the fit on, but I'm optimistic about it. I've also been tempted to pick up some 26" wheels and try some Rat Trap Pass on there. Lots of options.

Cool bike.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber View Post
If it is in your budget, check out the Vanilla Workshop website and watch the clip on the Urban Racer.
i test rode one of these, it was phenomenal and exactly what it sounds like you are looking for (if you can afford it)
Old 06-21-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.bikeparty View Post
i test rode one of these, it was phenomenal and exactly what it sounds like you are looking for (if you can afford it)
Ya, those coaster brake Linuses are perfect.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:38 PM

Agreed it looks super fun. Can’t and don’t want to afford it though.

I am thinking about a single speed even. That is just where my cycling head is at...
Old 06-21-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
You got me all excited but I can’t see the picture
lol whoops! fixed the link.
was really hoping to get a steel GT mtb to build a fleet, but haven't seen one in decent condition and at a price I love.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez View Post
lol whoops! fixed the link.
was really hoping to get a steel GT mtb to build a fleet, but haven't seen one in decent condition and at a price I love.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that ride!
Old 06-22-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Here's my Urban Assault Vehicle. I built it up about 6 months ago and it's a blast to ride. Reminds me of how I felt as a kid. Jump curbs, go single track, gravel roads, torn up city streets and still stylish to cruise the many miles of greenbelt bike lanes or hit downtown on a Saturday night. I laced up some Velocity rims to Ultegra cross hubs with center lock brakes. Panaracer Gravel Kings SK set up tubeless have exceeded my expectations, great all around tires. Fast on the streets - drop the pressure and they handle dirt and gravel beautifully. An inexpensive one by set up and I have a street hooligan. Those are turn signals on the bar ends, a silly and fun add on.

And you lock this up around town?
Old 06-22-2017, 12:48 PM

^^^
ooooo that thing looks awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
Absolutely nothing wrong with that ride!
thanks! I never thought I'd love it so much...but I love it more than both my road, fixed gear and other mtb. There's only a few things I'd want to change realistically like the brakes and tires for better overall riding