Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2016, 10:41 AM

What kind of phone do you have?
Are you already committed to Android or Apple?
If you have an Android phone, get an Android tablet. Same for Apple. You'll be able to easily share all your info easily between the devices.

I have a 10" Samsung Galaxy Tab that I really like, and also have a Samsung phone.

My 2 cents
Old 12-16-2016, 10:45 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
Considering a chrome book for the wife. Where do people like to buy from? With potential for defects out of the box, I want easy returns and support. I would do Costco, but their options are limited
If I can buy electronics at Costco, I usually do. Easy returns, and extended warranty.

I just went through the PC vs Mac dilemma myself (for wife's xmas gift). My original iPad that's several years old works perfectly (albeit slow for today's standards). PC laptops and other tablets...didn't fair so well. So ended up buying a MacBook Air. It'll be worth the premium in the end (which actually didn't end up being that much comparing apples/apples).
Old 12-16-2016, 11:26 AM

iPad on bikeforums.net

Someone over at bikeforums has an older iPad for sale.

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...ir-retina.html

No relation, interest, don't know the guy, no can I vouch for whether it's a good deal or not. Just passing along an option.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:15 PM

Another vote for B&H, but I have also bought some stuff from Best Buy when I wanted something local, they are very good with support/returns.
Some good deals can be had for a iPad mini 2, I just bought one.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
What kind of phone do you have?
Are you already committed to Android or Apple?
If you have an Android phone, get an Android tablet. Same for Apple. You'll be able to easily share all your info easily between the devices.

I have a 10" Samsung Galaxy Tab that I really like, and also have a Samsung phone.

My 2 cents
A friend just recommended this app to me:

https://www.android.com/filetransfer/

Allows transferring files between Android devices and Mac computers. I just downloaded it and will report back.

Edit: Cannot access the "gallery" on my 4.0 Droid Maxx, probably because it's loaded with Verizon apps, and not a pure Droid. Will try the Nexus later.

Last edited by pbarry; 12-18-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:09 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Considering a chrome book for the wife. Where do people like to buy from? With potential for defects out of the box, I want easy returns and support. I would do Costco, but their options are limited
We have three Acer C720 Chromebooks in the household. These are older chromebooks but have proven to be super reliable, long battery life, good wireless capabilities, light weight enough to carry around, and everything we needed for surfing the web, watching Netflix. Storage limitations are overcome by external USB hard drives/flash drives, Google Drive or if you are technically handy, swap out the internal SSD with one that has a bigger volume, which I did. Google docs solved the problem with word processing, excel spreadsheets and such. Just about the only two shortcomings I have run into using Chromebooks are lack of graphics processing capabilities (Photoshop) and ability to play DVDs. There are online apps that can do some graphics stuff but nothing heavy duty. But if I am going to do a whole lot of graphics processing, I would prefer to use my much more powerful desktop machine any way, so pick the right tool for the right job, stop making unrealistic demands to be all things to all people. DVDs are rarely missed because we mostly watch videos on Netflix and Amazon Primes these days. But I just want to point those out.

I am a big fan of Chromebooks. They are the right choice for a lot of the stuff that we do. My younger children age 3 to 11 loved them! The older ones have their own laptops.

I bought our first one as a refurbished unit through Groupon for about $100. I like it so much that I went on eBay and bought two more, both are "fixer-upper", one required a new LCD screen and the other a new battery. By then, I have developed enough confidence to open the thing up and do my own repairs. All said and done, I paid about $50 each including replacement parts. I consider that a good deal. Will do that again in a heartbeat...but we already got three Chromebooks, one can't be too greedy.

Last edited by weisan; 12-17-2016 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
A friend just recommended this app to me:

https://www.android.com/filetransfer/

Allows transferring files between Android devices and Mac computers. I just downloaded it and will report back.
Actually, what I meant was data in the cloud that your devices sync with and share. For example, apps, contacts, email, photos, etc. The native apps are seamless between devices. I'm sure there are ways to sync info between the different OS's, it's just easier when sticking to one OS.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I've heard the surface pro is a good option though. multiple "power" users I work with have replaced their laptops with a surface pro and do not regret it.
I will be happy to sell mine to you for the price of a turd. They suck. Basically the only thing I think are worse are cotton mouths.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
Actually, what I meant was data in the cloud that your devices sync with and share. For example, apps, contacts, email, photos, etc. The native apps are seamless between devices. I'm sure there are ways to sync info between the different OS's, it's just easier when sticking to one OS.
I get that completely, and in no way was suggesting the app mentioned would take the place of iCloud and similar synching with like OS devices. It might be enuf for some that occasionally need to transfer files, like images, from a tablet that is not used as a work device, to their PC.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:12 AM

Here are different size tablet list http://pc4u.org/best-laptop-under-200-dollars/