Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nags&Ducs View Post
I haven't tried it yet, but I can't see how the rack will fit. As it is, the Dean is pretty tight in the case. I can see how a soft sided case can accommodate better.

But, what did your better half mean by "making a new S&S case"??? Do you make a soft sided case? Please do tell!!!! Pics would be better.
I make saddlebags and handlebar bags, plus from time to time custom instrument cases and other custom bags and packs. I haven't made an a case for a coupled bike yet, but in the near future I will, particularly since now i have a coupled bike and don't yet have a case for it. It will likely be a lot like the S&S backpack case, but reinforced in a few more spots.

I've traveled with a standard, non-folding bike many times, and usually get charged for it but occasionally the airline people forget. But the big benefit to a coupled bike with a soft case is the flexibility you have at the other end. My better half likes to go on bike trips (preferably in warmer climates) while I do the family holiday trip, and he uses a trailer conversion kit with a Samsonite suitcase, plus the S&S backpack case. It lets him fly somewhere and then take whatever combination of trains and buses in order to get to a fairly remote start location, then start riding and do a one-way trip. He can carry the soft case strapped to the lid of the trailer, so he's completely self-contained and can easily change plans if necessary. And he can do the whole thing with normal-sized luggage that can easily go on buses, cabs, trains, whatever. He's also done it with a rack and panniers, and mailed the case to his hotel at the end. And the soft bag can fit into an easy-to-find box and go by normal Priority mail.

One of the ideas that floats around my head sometimes is to design panniers that use the same plastic for stiffening as the removable plastic that goes around the outside of the bike case. That would make a really slick system for a self-contained trip.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coluber42 View Post
I make saddlebags and handlebar bags, plus from time to time custom instrument cases and other custom bags and packs. I haven't made an a case for a coupled bike yet, but in the near future I will, particularly since now i have a coupled bike and don't yet have a case for it. It will likely be a lot like the S&S backpack case, but reinforced in a few more spots.

I've traveled with a standard, non-folding bike many times, and usually get charged for it but occasionally the airline people forget. But the big benefit to a coupled bike with a soft case is the flexibility you have at the other end. My better half likes to go on bike trips (preferably in warmer climates) while I do the family holiday trip, and he uses a trailer conversion kit with a Samsonite suitcase, plus the S&S backpack case. It lets him fly somewhere and then take whatever combination of trains and buses in order to get to a fairly remote start location, then start riding and do a one-way trip. He can carry the soft case strapped to the lid of the trailer, so he's completely self-contained and can easily change plans if necessary. And he can do the whole thing with normal-sized luggage that can easily go on buses, cabs, trains, whatever. He's also done it with a rack and panniers, and mailed the case to his hotel at the end. And the soft bag can fit into an easy-to-find box and go by normal Priority mail.

One of the ideas that floats around my head sometimes is to design panniers that use the same plastic for stiffening as the removable plastic that goes around the outside of the bike case. That would make a really slick system for a self-contained trip.
Count me in if this idea takes off. What a concept, a bike bag made by a guy who needs an S&S bike, travels often with a bike and makes bike bags for a living. Nice website and offerings BTW.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
Some people cut their rack and use compression couplers to reassemble it. Kind of like a small S&S coupler in brass. Fenders can fit under the tires sometimes, but that may require taking the mounting hardware off the fender.

I sold a 12 inch S&S case on Ebay a while back after being charged by the airline for an oversized package. I got hosed badly. I think it sold for $50.00.
Sounds interesting to put compression couplers on a rack. Is it difficult to do?

Wow, I can't believe the 12" case sold for $50!!! Not much a demand for "oversize" S&S cases it seems. The more I think about it, I am leaning toward the backpack case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaiva View Post

I have to pack the panniers separately, put those into a duffel bag which I took as a carry on but was able to fit the front lowrider and rear carradice rack into the case. It was not terribly easy but I did get it to fit. Rims are wide Velocity dyad touring rims and 32c tires. Racks have to come off completely but I dont see it being possible with any case unless you do so.

Personally I would not even think about trying to deal with fenders. Unless I'm moving somewhere for a few months I just would not want to bother with putting the fenders back on the bike for a week or so of riding as its always a pain.
Taking fenders and racks on/off is a PITA. Then you still have to find a space for it in the case. The last two touring trips I did, i didn't take fenders. However, I want a case that can handle the rack and fenders, just in case. You never know what lies ahead on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
There used to be a seller on eBay with a generic case that was a match for the S&S--but I don't see any listings, either active or completed.

For the life of me, I can't remember the last time I saw them, since I have been looking at S&S stuff for what seems like a lifetime--and I have still not purchased anything.
Dang, I wish that guy was still around. Do you recall what they were going for? I would love to find the maker of designer case that S&S was selling.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Which B&W are you getting ? If the trapezoidal "Bike Box" I strongly recommend adhering lid closing instructions to the lid for TSA folks. Too many latches broken, hinges tweaked and boxes left open & taped shut on my trips. When closed properly it's an awesome case that is easy to haul (relatively) and fits a huge bike, it's just not the most intuitively obvious to open/close for some.
That's the one I'm getting! And thanks for the tip on including the closing instructions for the tsa goons.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:26 PM
Deeply fried

if you just want something that you won't get oversized baggage fees for, check out the ruster sports armored henhouse and the gavillan BFF. Bonus is you won't have to decouple your bike...
Old 03-04-2015, 12:30 PM
Road connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Count me in if this idea takes off. What a concept, a bike bag made by a guy who needs an S&S bike, travels often with a bike and makes bike bags for a living. Nice website and offerings BTW.
Emily is a very smart gal alright and her bags are wonderful.

-- John
Old 03-04-2015, 12:41 PM

So it splits into the two triangular pieces plus the three short connecting rods? Bike sounds awesome, got any more pics of your whole setup? Just curious to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbay View Post
A few random comments and observations:

- It's much easier to pack a bike into Co-Motion's Co-Pilot case than into S&S's hard-shell case. There's enough give that I can fit 700x32s without deflating the tyres.

- A hub like a DT, which allows you to pop the freehub body off without tools, makes it much easier to fit everything in.

- As Coluber42 says, fenders are easy enough to fit in around the wheels. If you want to cheat, Crud RoadRacers are super easy to pack and will work with tyres up to 30mm wide.

- To the OP, Seven made me a rack that comes apart, to ease that part of the process. Previously, that was always the trickiest part of the puzzle.

-- John
Old 03-04-2015, 12:47 PM

I struggled with figuring out these logistics when ive done fly somewhere and ride a one-way tour. In the end I've always just shipped via fedex my s&s hardcase, either empty or sometimes with a few changes of clothes for when I get to the end of the ride if I'm spending a few more days before flying home. The fees have always been surprisingly low, like 20 - 30$ and just makes it so easy. But I've never tried this in a foreign country so that could make it a bit more difficult. Also have to have somewhere to mail it to.

I have the s&s hard case bc its on free permanent loan from a friend but I'd definitely be interested in something like you described too. So let us know about it once developed. I think I'd probably still use the hard case on flights but if I could use an easier to pack soft case on amtrak / buses, that would be helpful for trips around the northeast for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coluber42 View Post
he uses a trailer conversion kit with a Samsonite suitcase, plus the S&S backpack case. It lets him fly somewhere and then take whatever combination of trains and buses in order to get to a fairly remote start location, then start riding and do a one-way trip. He can carry the soft case strapped to the lid of the trailer, so he's completely self-contained and can easily change plans if necessary. And he can do the whole thing with normal-sized luggage that can easily go on buses, cabs, trains, whatever. He's also done it with a rack and panniers, and mailed the case to his hotel at the end. And the soft bag can fit into an easy-to-find box and go by normal Priority mail.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:35 PM
Road connoisseur

Quote:
So it splits into the two triangular pieces plus the three short connecting rods?
Correct, so it packs nice and flat. It's hard to see in that photo, but it's narrow on top and thus, well triangulated. In other words, it's rock solid in use.

Quote:
Bike sounds awesome, got any more pics of your whole setup? Just curious to see.
Here's one of it doing its thing:

There's an older set of more detailed bike shots here.

-- John
Old 03-04-2015, 03:49 PM

very nice! and the rack is one of the best looking racks ive seen. thumbs up.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:36 PM
Road connoisseur

Quote:
very nice! and the rack is one of the best looking racks ive seen. thumbs up.
I think this is a family friendly forum, so I should be careful how I respond about best looking racks.

Glad you like the pannier carrier, though. Seven did a really nice job with it, not to mention the bike as a whole.

-- John
Old 03-04-2015, 05:00 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbay View Post
- A hub like a DT, which allows you to pop the freehub body off without tools, makes it much easier to fit everything in.
If I thought it was the rear wheel and the cassette that were causing all the problems getting stuff to fit I'd be all over this idea in a nanosecond

...but it's honestly never occurred to me that the cassette was the culprit. Are you really able to get that much more space for the rear triangle, handlebars, and front wheel just by being able to squish down the rear wheel a tiny bit more? My cassette only just grazes the downtube when the whole thing is in the S&S case.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:49 PM
Road connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
If I thought it was the rear wheel and the cassette that were causing all the problems getting stuff to fit I'd be all over this idea in a nanosecond

...but it's honestly never occurred to me that the cassette was the culprit. Are you really able to get that much more space for the rear triangle, handlebars, and front wheel just by being able to squish down the rear wheel a tiny bit more? My cassette only just grazes the downtube when the whole thing is in the S&S case.
Hi Bob,

I think everyone with an S&S bike packs it differently and I don't know where your particular tight spots are. I find myself drawn towards mountainous areas for trips, so my bike is usually equipped with a 12-32 cassette. Taking that out of the picture is a big help to me. In the case of a DT-Swiss hub, you also have about 2cm less axle width to worry about when you remove the end-caps, which also helps. Using something like a Phil Wood or King hub, you have to use a couple of allen keys to disassemble it, but you can remove the axle from the picture entirely, which practically makes the wheel a 2-dimensional entity.