Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2017, 09:21 AM

My buddy passed

Well, I've the various threads of members losing their pets. I even lost my previous dog 13 years ago. You remember how hard it was but as time passes you forget how heavy it was.

My boy, Bogey, was put to sleep yesterday with my wife and all of my sons present, shedding tears. He was rescued 12 years ago from a shelter where he was apparently saved on the streets of Compton. I called him the "Fresh Prince"! A rescue agency said they had the "best" family dog just waiting for a new home. At that time my wife was wanting a female short haired dog. But man, there was this long haired male that just wouldn't let us leave without us taking him out of his cage. Up on his hind legs, wagging his tail he happily drew us over and it was over. Done deal. I remember that day so vividly. He was so happy to be going to his new home.

Fast forward, he's been my best bud for years. I started my own business 7 years ago and started working at home. Ever since then we've spent every day together. I called him my office assistant but all he did was sleep next to me while I worked. It was awesome.

Early on we knew he had some hip and knee issues because he began limping when my wife would take him jogging. So that stopped and walks were what he enjoyed. But those joint problems came back big time in the last 6 months. First his rear legs started to give out. Then, two months ago, his front right leg gave out. He was really hurting.

Finally, my wife, who's the strongest in our family, said it was time. Bogey wasn't eating like he normally did and couldn't even limp outside to relieve himself.

So we gathered our boys yesterday and spent a few hours with him and all took him to the vet together. Many tears were shed while we watched the doc administer the shot. I held his face to comfort him while the sedative took hold and the final shot was given. I've had family pass but honestly this was the hardest thing I've had to do. It was horrible to watch him go in my hands.

I'm choking myself up now so gotta go. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by wooly; 07-28-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:27 AM
Administrator

i feel for you wooly. i had to put my beloved dog down this year also, and understand what you're going through, as do probably all of us who have had to do the same. it is probably the hardest decision to make and the hardest hours to endure.

i work from home sometimes too, and life is simply not the same without my pup around. not a day goes by that i dont think of her.

hang in there pal, you guys did the right thing.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:28 AM

My condolences. Been through it a few times and its always brutal.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:34 AM

Hey Wooly,

I'm really sorry to hear about losing your friend. Dogs have a way of entrenching themselves into our life fabric. We have a rescue mutt now that has been the best dog that we've ever owned. He's smelly, barky, and somehow manages to get out of the yard whenever he wants. However, he has individual, different relationships with each person in the family and is deeply loved by everyone. He'll really be missed when its his time.

Stay strong and know that there are other pups out there that need loving and caring friends like you.

Texbike
Old 07-28-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooly View Post
Finally, my wife, who's the strongest in our family, said it was time. Bogey wasn't eating like he normally did and couldn't even limp outside to relieve himself.
Oh....
Sounds like he had a good life. You did the right thing.

All things change, but No Thing changes....
Old 07-28-2017, 09:40 AM

So sorry to hear Ron. Sure Bogey brought lots of joy to the family.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:40 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I feel your pain, we had to let go 2 cats in the past year, one after a short (too long?) battle with pancreatitis/diabetes and the other after cancer ate through his jaw.
Incredibly hard to make that decision, but consider it a blessing that unlike with people, you were able to end his suffering.

Glad you and your family could be with him when he passed.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:42 AM

brother, im sorry for the loss. thank you for rescuing him. He rewarded you for that, and you guys had a great thing. its wonderful the relationships we can have with non humans.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:45 AM
ZhugeLiang

Wooly pal, take care.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:47 AM

two of the saddest days of my life were having to make the decision to put down dogs. i can feel your pain.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:48 AM
Kind of OK

There is a special bond between humans and dogs. We have co-evolved for close to 20,000 years and dogs, like no other animal, sense our moods, desire our companionship and work beside us.
My sincerest condolences.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

My condolences. Been there, done that. It's really hard but the right thing to do.

Somebody here wiser than me said " We give a dog 10 years of our life, they give us their lifetime."

We still miss our dogs.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:24 AM

Sorry to hear it. It's tough to do.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:29 AM

Been through this quite a few times. It was always easier for me if there was another dog still waiting for me when I got back from the vet and/or I adopted a new dog ASAP. There are so many wonderful dogs needing new homes as much as you need one in your life.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:32 AM

my sincerest, deepest condolences. I absolutely feel your pain, and couldn't read through your post without it all flooding back. probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do and go through with my wife. same as you, rescue dog. wife had her for 17 years. SEVENTEEN! lived a great life and we loved her to pieces, but that memory of watching that last shot go in and her head drop... that'll haunt me forever.

kudos to you for taking him in, giving him a great life, and for doing the difficult thing when you needed to. I'm sure you're not ready for it right now, but there are tons of dogs out there that need loving homes.

good luck with your grieving, to you and your family.