Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
My attention's been diverted. I'd love to restore a 60 some day.
Not to derail. It's a '90 62 and needs some work but I've got all the running gear done and essentially new, suspensionm, steering components, brakes, all bearings and seals, should be able to drive in a week or so then on to the interior.. I've got a really nice '97 80 on the way.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:51 PM

...or a triangular one if they got no square ones in stock as you still got 3 cutting corners. I just happened to have a square one among my tools.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:56 PM

The reason I say to use Lye is my own story. I had to get TWO frozen seatposts out that broke when I clamped them in a vice and turned the frame:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=145859
Old 07-21-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Perhaps I wasn't patient enough, but Coke didn't work, ammonia didn't work, PB Blaster, Kroil, 3n1 mixed with K-1 didn't work. Nor did force, via impact or torque. Tired of the hacksaw routine, so went to caustic lye. Job done. Not without it's challenges, but it worked.

The gases evolved in dissolution of aluminum (hydrogen) are flammable, explosive only if confined. Do it outdoors, wear proper PPE and DO NOT mix the caustic lye and water by shaking in a sealed container. Swirl in open cup. Exothermic reaction, sealed container go boom and you will be sporting some new chemical burns. Guys in a plating shop don't worry about hex chrome (carcinogen) but give sodium hydroxide serious respect.

Don't mess around with NaOH. Your eyes won't grow back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
The reason I say to use Lye is my own story. I had to get TWO frozen seatposts out that broke when I clamped them in a vice and turned the frame:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=145859
100% the last resort to go to with a stuck alu post in a steel frame.

Had a stuck post in what is my daily commuter; and couldn't budge it no matter what I had tried.

Stripped off the excess parts from the frame, and sealed it up, piped in a mix of water/lye and let it sit for a few days. Vinegar to neutralize the solution after the fact.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:16 PM

if i have to go to lye, I might just trash the frame.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamhell View Post
if i have to go to lye, I might just trash the frame.
Why not go for it nothing to lose just be careful that's all. If the dunce that closed the lid on the bottle can do it so can you.

Last edited by Satellite; 04-26-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:22 PM

after multiple days hacking away at this, i finally broke down and bought a drill. i wish i woulda done this sooner. it has helped significantly. there are now several inches of seattube without seatpost in them! it would help if i had a large set of varied sizes of drill bits, but these huge fat ones are expensive.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:05 PM

I think I would of broke down and bought the lye.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamhell View Post

after multiple days hacking away at this, i finally broke down and bought a drill. i wish i woulda done this sooner. it has helped significantly. there are now several inches of seattube without seatpost in them! it would help if i had a large set of varied sizes of drill bits, but these huge fat ones are expensive.
I would skip the large drill bit and use a sharp chisel. Split the remaining seat post into section and remove.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:06 PM
bykhed

Vertical slits with a hacksaw blade. It may take some time but it'll be worth it IMHO. That's a nice frame! I have surgically removed three posts and a quill stem with this method.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoKev View Post
Vertical slits with a hacksaw blade. It may take some time but it'll be worth it IMHO. That's a nice frame! I have surgically removed three posts and a quill stem with this method.
so let me get this straight - i have to remove the hacksaw blade and dip it down into the seat tube and start sawing away? how do i get leverage on the bottom end? this seems like it would never work. maybe i am misunderstanding something????

i'll try it later tonight
Old 07-18-2016, 05:44 PM

If the part that is sticking out is useless (which it seems it is since the vise method didn't work), did you try to use a mallet to drive it in further?
I am sure if you get it to move just a little, it would free it enough to then twist it out in the vise.

Man, and I thought my seized BB is trouble!

God Luck!
Old 07-18-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
If the part that is sticking out is useless (which it seems it is since the vise method didn't work), did you try to use a mallet to drive it in further?
I am sure if you get it to move just a little, it would free it enough to then twist it out in the vise.

Man, and I thought my seized BB is trouble!

God Luck!
this is a good point. maybe i will try this.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:19 PM

Are we talking about an aluminum seat post in a steel frame? The problem with applying heat in that situation is that the aluminum expands faster than steel-- which would seem to make the problem worse, not better.

The one time I had this problem I spent a few days soaking it with penetrating oil, trying to get the oil to flow down between the seat post and the frame.

Then I wrapped the exposed portion of the seat post in dry ice. Basically, I crushed the dry ice, put it in a ziplock bag and wrapped it to the seat post. After 10 minutes or so the seat post was nice and cold and I was able to break it loose with big ass wrench.

YMMV

Again, I think this method works best with aluminum seat posts and steel frames, given their relative coefficients of thermal expansion.

Jared
Old 07-18-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpitts View Post
Are we talking about an aluminum seat post in a steel frame? The problem with applying heat in that situation is that the aluminum expands faster than steel-- which would seem to make the problem worse, not better.

The one time I had this problem I spent a few days soaking it with penetrating oil, trying to get the oil to flow down between the seat post and the frame.

Then I wrapped the exposed portion of the seat post in dry ice. Basically, I crushed the dry ice, put it in a ziplock bag and wrapped it to the seat post. After 10 minutes or so the seat post was nice and cold and I was able to break it loose with big ass wrench.

YMMV

Again, I think this method works best with aluminum seat posts and steel frames, given their relative coefficients of thermal expansion.

Jared
yep, alu post in steel frame. luckily the aluminum is getting cut really nicely. there is no longer any exposed seatpost to try your method, but maybe some variation of it will be possible and/or necessary. i'll keep yall updated.