Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
You don't need the clean all the glue off between every tire change.
In fact it's probably better if you don't.

---

Just get a piece of 100 grit sand paper and roll it up into a tube and sand off the gritty loose stuff. Then brush on a coat of Goof-Off and the glue becomes active again.

In the OP's case though there is nothing wrong with starting off new. Cyclocross tires require A LOT of glue so that's probably why the rims were so filled in.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:27 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepmike View Post
I don't want to poop on your thread/excitement, but I too was once bright-eyed and stoked for the project and learning experience that comes with tubies. I haven't completely shut down the idea (I still have a set) but as I get older my patience for them has worn thin.
I've had my best luck following the Park gluing method. Best adhesion for me has always been with a rim that already had some light glue buildup (vs. a clean rim). The process of cleaning a rim is laborious. I might still be doing something wrong but my takeaway is that it's still more of an art then a scientific process, and there is nothing more frustrating then going through the entire process only to find you (inexplicably) got poor adhesion and you need to go back and redux/repeat.
After that happens a couple times, the romance of a tubie is lost (for me, anyway)...
The stoke is dying pretty quickly.

Park seems to make it a point that tubeless tires are dangerous. Since I am almost exclusively a climber, and love ripping around tight mountain curves, how paranoid should I be about losing a tire? There's spots on my favorite passes where a crash would almost certainly be fatal, and hitting trees or sign posts or rock walls at 40mph is never healthy either.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:54 PM

I'm sure the rate of incidence is very low. You hear the stories. I've never had a problem, but I save them for my flat/closed course/circuit bike. Even with that it's always in the back of my mind. I'm sure over time the fear goes away (or shifts to other problems).
It's definitely a worthy experiment.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:17 PM
The B!

Thoughts on this tire?? 135g!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tufo-S3-Lite...item3f3f7af0d2
Old 10-27-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B View Post
Worst riding tubulars ever...... Why so focused on weight? Get a pair of Vittoria Corsa Elite in 23mm and call it a day.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I think we need an intervention here. B, the weight is not makes a good tubular a good tubular. And don't buy a Tufo.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:24 PM

Grab (3) of the Michelin SC 24s for $135 shipped that I mentioned in the other thread.

-Mark
Old 10-28-2014, 05:51 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
The stoke is dying pretty quickly.

Park seems to make it a point that tubeless tires are dangerous. Since I am almost exclusively a climber, and love ripping around tight mountain curves, how paranoid should I be about losing a tire? There's spots on my favorite passes where a crash would almost certainly be fatal, and hitting trees or sign posts or rock walls at 40mph is never healthy either.
Better chance of losing a front clincher that goes flat..there are TONS of resources on how to glue a tubular on. The 'big boys' have been flying down mountain passes for decades on tubulars. Glue them on right, go ride..don't 'what if' yourself out of tubulars or riding in general. They are not hard to do, right. As I get older, I get more convinced that any wheels I build in the future
will be tubulars, life is too short to ride on clinchers, besides, clinchers are for nancys.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Tufos are junque...Vittoria Corsa Elite in 25..
Old 10-28-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
With a properly glued tire, it'll be virtually impossible to roll the tire. Basetape, maybe, as the tire dry rots, but not a whole tire. Even removing the tire, on purpose, will be very tough.

A tubular, if it goes flat, is actually safer than a clincher. With a tubular the tire is physically attached at the base of the sidewall, meaning you can't move the sidewall's base away from the rim. This means you have very little slop before the tire stops wiggling around. On a totally flat tire the tubular will move laterally about 1 cm before it simply can't move anymore.

Compare that with a clincher where the tread might end up 2+ cm away from the rim side. Push an uninflated tubular to the side, then do the same with a clincher. Big difference.

I have a clip of my friend and teammate, racing on my wheels, having a blowout/flat mid turn when he was sprinting up to a break in a race. He goes into the turn at maybe 30-32 mph, there's a slight bobble, he coasts through the rest of the turn, then pulls over. I thought he jammed or broke his chain, I didn't realize he'd flatted his front tire. My tire, my wheel, my glue job (from the prior year - the flat happened in 2010 I think). I glued a new tire on for him and it's been fine since - he's been racing those wheels, on the next set of tires. I was going to make a short clip using that bit of footage but it's so undramatic that it's actually hard to tell what happens.

I have a few clips of people flatting a clincher and crashing, in similar turns. Think worst case scenario, leaned over hard in a turn. With a tubular you have a good chance of staying upright. With a clincher, not so much.

In fact with a flat tubular you can ride pretty far/fast. I've ridden a front flat tubular for 30+ minutes to get home. Because I know I can ride a tubular home when I go for a training ride with tubulars I don't carry a spare, plus it would take me 30 minutes to remove a tire on the side of the road. Anyway on that front tire flat ride I caught up to two guys doing a fast ride on a rolling slightly downhill road (I flatted up by 106 in New Canaan, caught them on Route 124 heading down to Darien). I declined taking a pull because of my flat front - I was worried if I had to do something suddenly it would be sketchy. I did say hi when I got on, plus they were guys that knew me. Only when one guy complained about me not pulling did I admit that I had a flat front tire. They both sat up to verify that the tire was really flat, it was a kind of funny. The shop near the end of the road was closed that day so I just rode home, a town over.

With a wide rim, or a carbon rim, I'd be less inclined to ride a flat. I don't think I rode a flat on the Reynolds, the same wheels my friend is using now. When I flatted on the HED Stingers (25-28mm wide brake track) I decided walking was better than ruining the rim. I realized I had a slow leak at after a race, tire went totally flat while we were watching other races, I walked the bike back.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:51 AM
Proud Grandpa

Olano winning World's on a flat tire..hope he gave his wrench a bonus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOtqNQJQcuU
Old 10-28-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
I've ridden a front flat tubular for 30+ minutes to get home. Because I know I can ride a tubular home when I go for a training ride with tubulars I don't carry a spare, plus it would take me 30 minutes to remove a tire on the side of the road.
That's nonsense. it takes 5 minutes to remove and replace a tubular from the side of the road.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:58 AM

I like to keep a plastic tire lever in my spare tubular bag. With that you just force it under the base tape and then rock it back and forth as you slide along the rim for about 12 inches or so then just rip it right off. Takes 5 minutes. Seriously, I can change a tubular on the side of the road faster then a clincher. The only problem is that you then have to be careful in the corners for the rest of the ride. If you keep glue on your spare tire however you might be surprised at how well it actually holds, just don't go ripping corners like it's a Crit.

I would never ride a flat home unless I absolutely had too. Tubulars can be repaired but I would think after riding a flat home it would ruin it, might even hurt the rim too.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I like to keep a plastic tire lever in my spare tubular bag. With that you just force it under the base tape and then rock it back and forth as you slide along the rim for about 12 inches or so then just rip it right off. Takes 5 minutes. Seriously, I can change a tubular on the side of the road faster then a clincher. The only problem is that you then have to be careful in the corners for the rest of the ride. If you keep glue on your spare tire however you might be surprised at how well it actually holds, just don't go ripping corners like it's a Crit.

I would never ride a flat home unless I absolutely had too. Tubulars can be repaired but I would think after riding a flat home it would ruin it, might even hurt the rim too.
Mee too..I have a little metal tire lever inside the spare tubular along with $5. Bent too many keys.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:15 AM

So you guys can change a tubular on the side of the road faster then a clincher? I'd like to see that.