Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2014, 04:09 PM

Hurst, Texas riding?

Hey,

My parents recently moved to Hurst, Texas and I'll be head down there for a visit in October.

Can anyone tell me if there's any reasonable riding there and if it's worth bringing a bike with me?

Any forum members in that area?

dave
Old 08-19-2014, 04:42 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

Weisan?
Old 08-19-2014, 04:44 PM

I don't really know the roads around there, but I'm relatively close in DFW speak.
There's a Bicycles, Inc. that probably hosts group rides from there. Might be worthwhile to see if they have routes posted.

**EDIT** Here you go, http://bicyclesinc.com/articles/shop...vents-pg16.htm
Old 08-19-2014, 04:52 PM

Dave, you should move there too. Come on, you don't want to be a bad son. And you'd be only three hours from me which would be totally handy when I'm ready for a custom.

Sorry, not familiar with roads / riding up there.

S
Old 08-19-2014, 05:11 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Hmmmm. Based on my experiences driving around DFW I'm pretty confident in saying that you won't be giving up the riding in Bozeman for Hurst any time soon.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:18 PM

Fly into Austin, rent a car

then go riding around Fredericksburg...then go visit the Peeps.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:26 PM

Hi Dave,

Hurst itself isn't great but there is decent riding in the area. Hit up Firerescuefin. He just moved not far from Hurst and has been doing a few of the local rides.

October will be better, but Texas is Hell hot right now!

Txbike

Last edited by texbike; 08-19-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:37 PM
Mr Dobalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
Hey,

My parents recently moved to Hurst, Texas and I'll be head down there for a visit in October.

Can anyone tell me if there's any reasonable riding there and if it's worth bringing a bike with me?

Any forum members in that area?

dave
My man...bring your bike. I basically live in Hurst! Hit me up for more details. Have a lot of guys that Road, Gravel, and MTB. Would love to go for a ride have you and yours over for dinner!

Geoff
Old 08-19-2014, 06:16 PM

If you mountain bike, try Grapevine lake trails. I was there on business and did a Salsa demo day up around the lake. Fun trail system. Not much (sustained) climbing, but a very respectable trail.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:43 PM

There is some good riding in the area and great riding within an hour. What are your dates? There is a fantastic charity ride in mid-October.

Most importantly, there is great bbq nearby!

I hope to meet you when you're in the area.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:50 PM

Not so sure about Hurst, but as others have mentioned, there is some riding to be had in the area. Recommend heading westward, either NW or S/SW of Fort Worth. Can get out into the country on some lower traffic roads.
FW has a decent trail system along the Trinity River which can give easy access out of town with minimal surface street hassle, and in my opinion, better than the average bike path.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:56 PM

I lived there the first 18 years of my life but have been away since the 90s. I think Dave Hickey (occasionally posts here and on roadbikereview.com) lives in North Richland Hills and rides to downtown Fort Worth from his house. The TCU area and Trinity River area may be better places to ride.

I remember it to be a good place to grow up where I could ride my bike to school and not get in too much trouble, but when I go back to visit I don't feel like I'm missing a whole lot by not bringing my bike. While the riding may not be so hot, the food is pretty good in the area. Ti Amo has a decent lasagna and pizza. Kincaid's for burgers. Fort Worth has a decent food scene.

Last edited by George_H; 08-20-2014 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:52 AM
Mr Dobalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_H View Post
I lived there the first 18 years of my life but have been away since the 90s. I think Dave Hickey (occasionally posts here and on roadbikereview.com) lives in North Richland Hills and rides to downtown Fort Worth from his house. The TCU area and Trinity River area may be better places to ride.

I remember it to be a good place to grow up where I could ride my bike to school and not get in too much trouble, but when I go back to visit I don't feel like I'm missing a whole lot by not bringing my bike. While the riding may not be so hot, the food is pretty good in the area. Ti Amo has a decent lasagna and pizza. Kincaid's for burgers. Fort Worth has a decent food scene.
Riding out towards Flowermound and Roanoke is certainly worth bringing a bike for. Some good trails outside of town as well.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Ottrott DKS

Dave, that's right next door to me. Sounds like we need to have a group dinner while you are in town if you have time.

Mike

Last edited by Mike748; 08-20-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike748 View Post
Dave, that's right next door to me. Sounds like we need to have a group dinner while you are in town.

Mike
Maybe a group ride.....nothing epic but just a fun talking ride........and then a dinner?

Dave