Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2014, 07:54 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

If you're into browsing bookstores you have to check out Big Chicken Barn Books in Ellsworth. (check to verify that it's open in Nov)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snap111.jpg (47.7 KB, 76 views)
Old 10-29-2014, 07:58 PM

Thanks, Louis. That is right up my alley.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorpat View Post
All the above are good suggestions. Wife and I stayed at the Black Friar Inn, great little pub.

http://www.blackfriarinn.com/
I'm liking the sounds of that pub,Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to check my reservation and see what part of the island I'm staying.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounder View Post
Park loop ride and Cadillac Mountain for sure. Also, go to Jordan Pond for popovers. I think I read that that Jordan Pond has the cleanest drinking water in Maine. Maybe check out Schoodic Point. Bar Harbor is nice but is super touristy...lots of t-shirt places. Maybe check out some of the other nearby places like Northeast Harbor, Sommes Sound, etc.

We were there last October the day after the Federal Government reopened the national parks...there was no one there and it was beautiful. It should be like that in November.
+1 on the popovers, even though it may be too chilly to eat out on the lawn. I've never been in November, but like others have noted, it probably will not be so touristy. However, Schoodic is still an interesting suggestion. I had a ride oround Schoodic on my summer to-do list. Unfortunately I didn't get there this summer.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:03 PM

I was in bah hahbah this last July. Bring the gravel bike.

http:/tumblr.com/post/91877181743/ne...ringing-a-bike

I can't embed the photo.

There are more photos on my tumblr page. I would recommend 28mm+ tires. Lobstah was $14/lb while I was there.

Last edited by miguel; 08-07-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose8 View Post

And be aware there are lots of soft shoulders in that part of maine so be careful with how close to the edge of lane you get. The roads are generally pretty good though.
The riding's good in the park, and out of it too, but I'd echo this: there were hardly any shoulders on many roads on Mt. Desert Island, and the roads (at least when I was there) were pretty chewed up from a hard winter. Nice riding, though.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:37 AM

Thanks everyone for the great advice so far. I'm going to sit down with some maps and ridewithgps this weekend and try to plan some routes. This'll all be a big help.

Cheers!
Old 10-30-2014, 11:08 AM
Ride 'yer bike.

The best part of Acadia is how much there is in such a small space. I have no sense of direction at all, and I'm map retarded - seriously, what's on the map doesn't relate to what's around me. My only vacation is Acadia, it's too small to get lost, yet you can't do everything it has to offer in a week - trust me, I tried. There are a number of books worth reading, A Walk in the Park is probably the best hiking guide. For the carriage trails there's a book about the building of the stone bridges which I think tells you more about the area than any trail guide. There's also the first sunrise on the east coast to be seen at the summit of Cadillac mountain - you might want to bring something warm and windproof. From there it's all down hill to Jordan's pancake house. I you want a challenge, and you want your pancakes shortly after sunrise, try to beat the small army of touring motorcycles to Bar Harbor. We hit 70 on the tandem trying to outrun them - good thing there are no deer around there to wonder out in the road...
Old 10-30-2014, 12:06 PM

lol! i got my doors blown off by a (VERY SKILLED) couple on a tandem on the loop road and cadillac mtn descent last year. i was blown away how fast they were. it was like they were on an e-assist bike ... but they weren't.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:08 PM

Two Cats

It's been a few years, but I worked on some buildings at the College of the Atlantic so we were up in BH at all times of year. When it was open we always had breakfast at Two Cats. Fresh squeezed juices, decent coffee, great omelettes and pancakes, etc.