Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2014, 01:18 PM

Not steel but Klein did a very good job back in the day. Brake cable in on the front right side of the tt and out the back left side. No cable housing used inside the tt and no rattles.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:46 PM

im not sure i would call the klein internal routing a good job. they are a total pain in the arse to re-cable

i have an older trek with internal routing for the rear brake thru the tt, uses full length housing, no rattles for me.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:12 PM

The Merlin Ti Spectrums had this feature. 10-20 frames in each size run became Spectrums and had TT internal routing, (DK's method #2), special SP tops, and different welds.

Bending 1/4" Ti tubing along several different planes can be frustrating, but so rewarding when you were in the groove and every one came out smoothly. IIrc, all we had for a jig was a block of wood clamped in a vise with 5/16th holes drilled in it. Usually, lots of cursing, and some blood involved.

Last edited by pbarry; 10-29-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:29 AM
It An't Me Babe

I've only had internal routing for the rear brake on a production bike - a Columbus-era Cinelli SuperCorsa. It did not rattle and it was also easy to route a bare cable through with a fully enclosed tube. Slip the brake housing into the receptical stops in the top tube - no ferrules. Bare wire inside the tube. I raise this because this was a bog stock production frame and it was no problem.

FWIW I have had this option on many custom frame orders and I have always chosen standard external routing. I don't like the entry and exit line aesthetics of the cable housing imposed by the internal routing end fixtures.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:41 AM

full housing internal routing on my Sachs and my Zank, no rattling.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:56 AM

My 90's era Colnago Master has full internal housing for the rear brake. No noise and the braking is fine.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar View Post
im not sure i would call the klein internal routing a good job. they are a total pain in the arse to re-cable
It is pretty simple. Disconnect rear brake cable, snip off crimped bit of cable, slip on proper length plastic cable liner, push through until that exits the front, tape in place then pull out brake cable. Reverse when installing new cable.

Repeat for the derailleur cables.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
It is pretty simple. Disconnect rear brake cable, snip off crimped bit of cable, slip on proper length plastic cable liner, push through until that exits the front, tape in place then pull out brake cable. Reverse when installing new cable.

Repeat for the derailleur cables.
oooh....where was this little chestnut of knowledge when I needed it most!
Old 10-30-2014, 11:02 AM

Full housing run on my Weigle also cuz that's the way JPW does it. It works as it should.

Though I prefer external cabling because it's totally functional and easy. A sealed cable kit works if contamination is a concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
I have a 25 year old Weigle that has internal rear brake cable routing and there are no rattles. I like the clean look as DK stated and I'd do it again if i were commissioning a frame. I like the look, and not having to deal with the donuts being evenly spaced is a bonus in my book too.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:10 PM

My cannonade has two cable stops in the top tube, so there is no housing to go in the tube. It's a slight PITA to run the cable, but no housing or tubing to rattle and it's lighter and probably less friction. This is my vote.