Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2023, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
Gotta get some of that sweet, sweet Speedvagen money.
They were early to that game, but hardly the worst. Take a look at Mosaic, Enve, Sarto, Prova, the list goes on...

Put it this way: what should these cost?
Old 10-12-2023, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
IMO, not more than $2500-$3500 at most!

Texbike
Old 10-12-2023, 05:59 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Am I the only one not bothered by pricing? Like, high end frame sets have long, LONG surpassed the $4k+ threshold. If it's not for you, it's not for you, but price shouldn't be the thing making you say no.
Standard group ride parking lot chatter. A bunch of folks standing around straddling $13,000 bikes complaining about the price of $16,000 bikes.

My perspective is that until the lab-generated scientific data is reconciled with the real-world-ride-generated anecdotal data, the value of most bikes will remain impossible to absolutely quantify.

But, if you are buying a bike like the Serotta which this thread is about, it's a purchase of the heart. You're buying this frame because the story behind it and/or the personality of the builder have value to you, which compound the inherent quality and value of the frame-qua-frame itself. And if you can afford it you can afford it and if you can't, you can't.

To put more mass-marketedly: An SL8 Pro frame is $3500. An S-Works is $5500. Performatively, there's maybe $5 between the two. People buy the S-works because it speaks to them, in one way or another. (Or: Specialized speaks to them, a whole load of marketing psychobabble, and they buy it. Either way, the premise is true.)

Last edited by Baron Blubba; 10-12-2023 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-12-2023, 06:00 PM

Quote:
They were early to that game, but hardly the worst. Take a look at Mosaic, Enve, Sarto, Prova, the list goes on...

I will assume that he is charging the right price to meet his own goals. As a buyer, I will observe that comparable frames from former Serotta builders seem to be about $2,000 less (e.g., Kirk, Ellis, Bedford). If these are being built by Carl at vicious cycles, again, it's looking to be about a $2,000 premium for the exact same bike to say "Serotta" on the down tube.

If Ben can get what he wants for these bikes, I don't think any of us are saying he shouldn't. I think most of us are saying we wouldn't.
Old 10-12-2023, 06:25 PM

Just got back from a ride on the CSI...

Lemme see...

Buy a used Serotta frame for under $700
Get a really bling paint job for under $1000
Total with lust fees: $1700

WatamI missing?
Old 10-12-2023, 06:33 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
On the other hand, if he's selling these, maybe we're the ones who all look silly.
Nope. Eveb after all are sold, the pricing is what's silly.
Old 10-12-2023, 06:48 PM

A quick google search doesn't turn up anything on Serotta's return. Does anyone have a good link to the real deal information? I'm struggling to believe that they would make their return with a $6k frameset.
Old 10-12-2023, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessism View Post
A quick google search doesn't turn up anything on Serotta's return. Does anyone have a good link to the real deal information? I'm struggling to believe that they would make their return with a $6k frameset.
https://serotta.com/

https://bikerumor.com/serotta-brand-...-gravel-bikes/

https://bikerumor.com/serotta-titani...h-anniversary/
Old 10-12-2023, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessism View Post
There are a bunch of articles with the term "relaunch" in them. The return was in 2021 with aluminum, then titanium. . . .
Old 10-12-2023, 07:03 PM

These describe the relaunch from a couple of years ago, but I don't see anything about the steel CdA on those links. Not even on Serotta.com. Am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckxman View Post
"Your wait is over! Now, for a very limited engagement,we bring you the incredible feel
of the ultimate steel. Welcome, Serotta Colorado CdA 24 (...)
Hey dear merckxman, do you have a link you can share?

Last edited by dgauthier; 10-12-2023 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-12-2023, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I will assume that he is charging the right price to meet his own goals.
Exactly - he's operating a business. I'm sure there's a $2k premium over those other builders, but the value-add there is likely down to fitting and ride characteristics Ben deems best. That's his prerogative and I don't begrudge him for it. A Serotta is not a Kirk is not a Moots is not a Sachs.

While we're at comparing prices, look at the MSRP for a new Peg. My personal opinion is that they look like a dog's breakfast, with the exception of their Day is Done model, and people fawn over those things here.
Old 10-12-2023, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
These describe the relaunch from a couple of years ago, but I don't see anything about the steel CdA on those links. Not even on Serotta.com. Am I missing something?

Hey dear merckxman, do you have a link you can share?

Your post didn't say anything about steel. You just asked about Serotta's return. The steel bike info came in an email this morning.

https://mailchi.mp/serotta/steel-dreaming?e=1d4b48dbe6
Old 10-12-2023, 07:25 PM

Pricing Schmicing. Are there any dealers and fitting involved, whether custom geometry or sizing up for standard geometry, or this is a manufacturer direct to customer model and how much money is the buyer required to put up before a bike or frame is delivered?
Old 10-12-2023, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Your post didn't say anything about steel. You just asked about Serotta's return. The steel bike info came in an email this morning.

https://mailchi.mp/serotta/steel-dreaming?e=1d4b48dbe6
That was Nessism, not me, but yeah, I'm still surprised there was no info at all about the CdA on Serotta.com. Thanks for the email link.

Scratching my head about the "direct marketing only" email. It doesn't cost anything to add a blurb to a web site. I'm sure they'll be built to order, so there's no initial outlay either.

What's Ben thinking? "I wanna sell eight steel bikes! I don't even want to think about selling maybe a limited run of a few hundred..."
Old 10-12-2023, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Exactly - he's operating a business. I'm sure there's a $2k premium over those other builders, but the value-add there is likely down to fitting and ride characteristics Ben deems best. That's his prerogative and I don't begrudge him for it. A Serotta is not a Kirk is not a Moots is not a Sachs.

While we're at comparing prices, look at the MSRP for a new Peg. My personal opinion is that they look like a dog's breakfast, with the exception of their Day is Done model, and people fawn over those things here.
Not to be morbid about this, but Serotta has been on the decline for more than a full generation now, right?

Not sure if his previous core buyers are in the market, and without the brand cachet, the new buyers just see another framebuilder.

Tags
conspicuous consumption, veblen goods