Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2024, 01:47 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_velo View Post
Don't you have to use a new $5 quick link every time too?
I've read that's totally overblown.. a quick link can be reused until you don't get the "click" when you install it..
Old 02-20-2024, 01:49 PM

I reuse quick links all the time until they're sloppy. If I need a tool to install/remove, it goes back on the bike.
Old 02-20-2024, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_velo View Post
Don't you have to use a new $5 quick link every time too?
Some quick links are reusable, some are not, and sometimes people re-use "non-reusable" quick links.
Old 02-20-2024, 03:02 PM

I’m unsure if I understand how his helps with anything other than a new factory chain. Once you’ve stripped the factory grease, the time suck is spent on cleaning and re-waxing. It would be neat if they came up with a single system that allows someone to buy a factory chain, strip the grease, wax the chain, clean the waxed chain, and finally reapply wax all in one compact device. I guess I could be missing something but this seems to be built solely for waxing new chains only…one of the easier and less space intensive parts of the process is dropping a factory chain in an old bottle of stripper and shaking for a few minutes.
Old 02-20-2024, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
the time suck is spent on cleaning and re-waxing.
What is your procedure here? For most people it is just a quick wipe down and put into wax. Or if really dirty, rinse with boiling hot water, wipe, let dry and then rewax.
Old 02-20-2024, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
What is your procedure here? For most people it is just a quick wipe down and put into wax. Or if really dirty, rinse with boiling hot water, wipe, let dry and then rewax.
Boiling, wiping, drying, rewaxing. I don’t think the silca device would allow you to boil since it doesn’t have an interchangeable pot. So you’ve got to have two stand alone ways of doing a very similar process. Right now I have a pot with wax and a pot I boil in, I already owned the induction cooktop. The space required and $$$ is/was very small and the plastic bottle to strip is basically throw away.

Last edited by dustyrider; 02-20-2024 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-20-2024, 03:22 PM

I have bene thinking about this question for awhile, and instead of a new thread, here it is:

How / when do you clean the wax/dirt residue out of your crockpot, or do you just top up with more wax?

I'm using Silca wax in a crock pot I found on the street on garbage day.
Old 02-20-2024, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Boiling, wiping, drying, rewaxing. I don’t think the silica device would allow you to boil since it doesn’t have an interchangeable pot. So you’ve got to have two stand alone ways of doing a very similar process. Right now I have a pot with wax and a pot I boil in, I already owned the induction cooktop. The space required and $$$ is/was very small and the plastic bottle to strip is basically throw away.
Yeah, the non-interchangeable pot seems like a serious limitation. That was probably a cost savings measure. And the StripChips seem like they are a time savings product for those who want to do the very minimum to wax their chains, not for those who want to do an optimum job of preparing their chains. In other words, these new Silca products seems to be a turn-key system for those who want to spend the least time and effort possible in setting up a chain waxing system, and not ideal for those who want to the best possible waxed chain performance. Kind of like those rub-on ski wax products for those who don't want to do ironing/scraping/brushing.
Old 02-20-2024, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Boiling, wiping, drying, rewaxing. I don’t think the silica device would allow you to boil since it doesn’t have an interchangeable pot. So you’ve got to have two stand alone ways of doing a very similar process. Right now I have a pot with wax and a pot I boil in, I already owned the induction cooktop. The space required and $$$ is/was very small and the plastic bottle to strip is basically throw away.
I don't actually boil. I just pour some boiling water from my electric kettle over the chain. Takes no time at all. And only do that if I get caught in rain or something really nasty. Normally just wipe and put in wax.
Old 02-20-2024, 03:45 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Some quick links are reusable, some are not, and sometimes people re-use "non-reusable" quick links.
Shimano is notoriously (call it) 'overcautious' in their recommendations.

For my own chains, I've reused their quick links a time or two with no problem.

In a shop situation, I follow the manufacturer's recommendations

M
Old 02-20-2024, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I don't actually boil. I just pour some boiling water from my electric kettle over the chain. Takes no time at all. And only do that if I get caught in rain or something really nasty. Normally just wipe and put in wax.
Where do you put your chain when you’re pouring water over it? Do you have a dedicated sink or catch tray? I like that all the grime stays in one pot so I can take it outside, rinse, and air dry since there really isn’t any harmful stuff going into the ground. I also don’t have to clean anything extra this way so it is even easier.

I guess what I’m really thinking is not so much as saving loads of extra time, it’s more so creating even more stuff for such a similar process under the guise of saving extra time. Seems like Mark hit the nail on the head and the system is most attractive for someone who doesn’t already have a system for waxing. I don’t know if I’d want to just wipe down a waxed chain, drop it in the strip chip wax device, and feel all that good about it.
Old 02-20-2024, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I don’t know if I’d want to just wipe down a waxed chain, drop it in the strip chip wax device, and feel all that good about it.
What are you worried about happening? Any residual dirt ends up on the bottom of the wax. After awhile I either start with a fresh batch of wax, or can just scrape out the ugly dirty wax once it cools and hardens in your container.
Old 02-20-2024, 04:06 PM

Haha the chart states 2 days to strip a chain with “hardware store chemicals” maybe 30 minutes in my experience. Not sure why they never have a free sample.
Old 02-20-2024, 04:14 PM

Quote:
What are you worried about happening? Any residual dirt ends up on the bottom of the wax. After awhile I either start with a fresh batch of wax, or can just scrape out the ugly dirty wax once it cools and hardens in your container.
I guess I’m worried about the same thing you are since you do rinse your really dirty chains off before you wax them. This could be one of those limitations of communication over the internet. But the silca videos I watched before jumping into the waxing game never made me think that the waxing process actually cleans the chain. I’m no expert though!
Old 02-20-2024, 04:29 PM

I drop my chains into boiling water before I re-wax, then dry in the toaster oven. Even then, I don't get all the water out it seems, and when I drop the chain into the hot wax some steam comes out at first!

My routine is to do several chains at once, so it doesn't seem onerous. Maybe once or twice a year at the most. On the bike that gets the most miles I swap two chains before they need to be re-coated, so I'm guessing it's going to be closer to once annually.