Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Administrator

the pro peloton - wheels

one thing that always surprises me when watching pro races - the variance in wheels used. depths range from what appears to be >50mm to what appear to be almost box section wheels. one would think that with the experience in racing, everyone would essentially be riding the same wheels, which would be "optimum" for the particular race and conditions - but this isnt the case, lots of different wheel sections being used.

thoughts?
Old 03-19-2011, 05:24 PM

Most likely for the same reason we probably ride different wheels- we're different people with different tastes and preferences.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:48 PM

Maybe wheel choice doesn't make as much difference in performance as many think. After all....a Pro wouldn't purposely ride slow equipment. Would he?
Old 03-19-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph
Maybe wheel choice doesn't make as much difference in performance as many think. After all....a Pro wouldn't purposely ride slow equipment. Would he?
Bingo. If one wheel design made the amount of difference that some companies claim, every pro would be on the same wheel, even if relabeled to meet sponsorship requirements.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00
Bingo. If one wheel design made the amount of difference that some companies claim, every pro would be on the same wheel, even if relabeled to meet sponsorship requirements.
yea, i expected that a bunch of research would have made everyone arrive at the same conclusion on a "per race" basis, tdf stage 8 = wheel x, etc. apparently thats not the case though.

interesting
Old 03-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Post Mod-ern

Keep in mind . . .

. . . that these guys are paid to ride certain equipment. A sponsor's real priority may be to get visibility for a certain product or model more than to get the race win. I know that sounds crazy, but that's marketing . . .

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 03-19-2011, 07:13 PM

I read on another forum, if you take Zipps data for their wheels(which they publish at 30mph) and go backward on the math down to 20mph. The difference between an 808 and a standard rim is only one quarter of a mile per hour. If this is true...shhhesh.... thats nothing. I always thought my deep wheels were faster. hmm
Old 03-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Post Mod-ern

MSR today wasalmost 7 hours.

At .25 mph for that time you'd end up almost two miles ahead of the guy with the "normal" rims. For you and me the difference is academic--we'll never be riding MSR. But for a pro who really wants to win that's a lot.

After reading this thread when I watch the pro races and some guy on normal box rims wins, then I'll just know he would have won by much more if he had the aero stuff.

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 03-19-2011, 08:03 PM

In a time trial that may be true, but sitting in a pack of 150 riders, accelerating, slowing, climbing, etc....lots of factors come into play. Light might be more important than aero.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:12 PM
ergottWheels

Look at the guys that are in it to win and the differences aren't a big. Stage profile matters, but even then the favorites usually ride similar profiles. Lot's of aero wheels at MSR. Sprinters like Cav ride aero wheels because at 40mph it really matters. You even see more and more aero wheels showing up at the cobbled classics. The cynic will add that aero wheels make for bigger decals as well;-)

There is less rebranding these days. Sponsors want their gear to be used in front of the cameras.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott
Look at the guys that are in it to win and the differences aren't a big. Stage profile matters, but even then the favorites usually ride similar profiles. Lot's of aero wheels at MSR. Sprinters like Cav ride aero wheels because at 40mph it really matters. You even see more and more aero wheels showing up at the cobbled classics. The cynic will add that aero wheels make for bigger decals as well;-)

There is less rebranding these days. Sponsors want their gear to be used in front of the cameras.
I'm sure you are correct. Pro rider at 25-35 MPH, aero wheels, aero rider position, aero bike, all make a significant difference.

It's just when I go a Sunday AM ride, and see an ordinary rider, big as a barn door, in upright riding position, at 20-22 MPH, claiming benefits of aero wheels, I get a little cycnical. But am sure, as you say, Pro's who can win, ride what it takes to win.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:33 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
one thing that always surprises me when watching pro races - the variance in wheels used. depths range from what appears to be >50mm to what appear to be almost box section wheels. one would think that with the experience in racing, everyone would essentially be riding the same wheels, which would be "optimum" for the particular race and conditions - but this isnt the case, lots of different wheel sections being used.

thoughts?
The sponsors want the riders to ride and show off their stuff. ALL pro bikes, wheels, components, tires, etc, work well. One team isn't dramatically better than another because of any equipment. Whether the wheels are 70mm depth or 46mm or 32mm or whatever means little when racing in the peloton, in the pack. Unless they break, of course, then it makes a big deal.

Like a team mate of Eddy once said, "Eddy can win on my bike, I can't win on his."
Old 03-20-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe
The sponsors want the riders to ride and show off their stuff. ALL pro bikes, wheels, components, tires, etc, work well. One team isn't dramatically better than another because of any equipment. Whether the wheels are 70mm depth or 46mm or 32mm or whatever means little when racing in the peloton, in the pack. Unless they break, of course, then it makes a big deal.

Like a team mate of Eddy once said, "Eddy can win on my bike, I can't win on his."
I hate just to +1 this but my thoughts exactly the stuff and the rider are not always equal....Lance wins the leadville on a flat tire.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:19 AM

If you watch any serious track racing (Universal has been showing the 2010 track worlds lately) they're all on the same wheels for the most part; some combination of Mavic I/O and disc or 2 discs.

Though I bet Hoy could still blow up the field on a set of these...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ghetto disc.jpg (70.4 KB, 131 views)
Old 03-20-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Shire
If you watch any serious track racing (Universal has been showing the 2010 track worlds lately) they're all on the same wheels for the most part; some combination of Mavic I/O and disc or 2 discs.

Though I bet Hoy could still blow up the field on a set of these...