Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-15-2024, 05:34 AM

Out of spec custom frame: advice sought

I’m looking for some advice on how to handle an out of spec custom frame. I’m UK based for clarity, as is the builder.

My new (disc) XCR frame arrived this week. As very brief background, the frame is coming from a relatively small builder who is looking to go full time and expand his business, and I was offered this frame at cost, on the condition of the bike being used for publicity, some shows, and the builder having some input on the final spec and paint. It has still not been inexpensive, I’d add.

There are 1 or 2 very minor quibbles, but the crucial point is this: while the frame looks beautiful, it falls some way short of the agreed tyre clearance. I specified that while I doubted I’d ever run 32s, I wanted that option, and certainly I wanted to be able to run 30s with mudguards.

28c Pirellis, fitted on 21mm internal/29mm external width wheels, actually have barely 2mm clearance at the chainstay on this new frame. For reference, my rim brake Ridley, which has an ‘official’ max clearance of 26, has slightly more clearance at the chainstay with a 28c tyre.

I have contacted the builder, who has been receptive. Given he hasn’t questioned it at all, in fact, I actually suspect he already knew about this.
In any case, he has offered me 3 options:

1 - That he reduces the price by 20%, and I accept the frame as is;
2 - That he constructs and fits a new rear triangle. There would be neither a discount nor a cost for this. He estimates a ~6 week turnaround time (with the delay coming from the painter).
3 - That he amends the existing rear triangle as far as possible. He has said that he suspects he’ll able to get an extra ~2mm per side without having to fit new stays. No discount has been mentioned in connection with this, but neither has one been ruled out, either.

I'm considering these and have said I will revert.

It’s worth adding as context that the bike was supposed to be with me before the end of October 2023, and I have some of my biggest events of the year coming up in the next 2 months.

Perhaps I’m being unreasonable, but I’m not wholly happy with any of the options above.

First, I’m not terribly keen on a disc frame in 2024 where the max tyre size really is a 28. Second, and while I know little about stainless steel and framebuilding, I’m somewhat uneasy with the prospect of the stays being manipulated in situ. Finally, given I’m currently putting in the miles and training for key events, and would like to get used to any bike I intend to ride in them, 6 weeks without a dedicated road bike isn’t a very satisfactory situation. Also, given the builder’s historic timing, I think 6 weeks is likely a best case scenario rather than a hard limit.

With all of that in mind, does anyone have any advice or good suggestions here?

Thanks.