Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-24-2016, 12:57 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Tough call on the red vs white BMW, but if forced to choose, I think I'd probably go with the more understated white. Sit on one and see if the tank is distracting, but I bet it's fine.

A while back Christian mentioned the Yamaha XSR900 to me, I looked into it, and it's been at the top of my "next moto purchase" list ever since.

Old 07-24-2016, 02:14 PM
Head to Ned

[QUOTE=Peter P.;2013573]Alright, so clue me in. Both of the BMW's above have an extension over the rear wheel with a bracket to hold the license plate. Yet most rice rocket riders I see remove that extension and mount the license plate in all sorts of strange ways, none of which can be legal.

I've seen license plates mounted vertically, as well as tucked into the forward end of the wheel well such that it's almost invisible, and as the suspension compresses it folds the license plate into all sorts of crumpled shapes.

Is it an "image" thing?[/QUOTE]

It's really more a 'remove the crap' thing. Every newly acquired bike fills a box with that very thing...
Old 08-10-2016, 05:43 AM

Well, I went with red. BMW have some great incentives right now. $750 off the price right away. $500 off for return buyers or "conquest" sales. Then, if you join the BMW CCA for $48/yr, you get an additional $750 reduction! Loving the bike so far.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S1000R_sm2.jpg (98.7 KB, 220 views)
Old 08-10-2016, 11:17 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Nice!

Do you have any big rides planned with it?
Old 08-10-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Tough call on the red vs white BMW, but if forced to choose, I think I'd probably go with the more understated white. Sit on one and see if the tank is distracting, but I bet it's fine.

A while back Christian mentioned the Yamaha XSR900 to me, I looked into it, and it's been at the top of my "next moto purchase" list ever since.

Smart looking bike. I have ridden the FZ-09 and loved the motor.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:43 PM
Two wheels good

Quote:

I love that XSR900 in the silver colorway. A buddy of mine just bought an FZ-07 and I spent some time on it, great bike. I've never owned a Yamaha but they are on my radar.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:15 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Picked up a Fizzer 1 for a good winter price. 9,100 miles, Ohlins rear damper, Traxxion forks, Corbin driver and passenger seat (with backrest), Corbin Smuggler trunk, three different windshields, wired for heat and GPS, Ivan's fuel cut eliminator, and brand new tires. Oh yeah, and stuff starts happening really quickly if you grab a handful of throttle above 7,500 rpm. I'd almost forgotten how silly literbikes are... good to get a reminder.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:31 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Oh yeah, and despite the thread title, this is not my first motorcycle. An FZ1 would be a pretty bad first motorcycle, actually.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:06 AM
Administrator

nice christian. looks like a nice package, i like the trunk.

what kind of exhaust is that? looks like it would be too loud for my tastes, especially with that many cc's...
Old 01-29-2017, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:

i tell you, that rear plastic "thing" that holds the license plate and tail lights is the textbook definition of "afterthought", it really doesnt compliment the lines of the bike at all. also, what is the round thing on the top of it?
Old 01-29-2017, 08:36 AM
Head to Ned

I'd simply call the 'styling' confused...
Old 01-29-2017, 09:17 AM

I don’t need a new bike (BMW F800GS now) but I am kind of wanting one and I have been scoping them out.

I have ridden and really enjoy the BMW R9T. I like the first classic looking bike with wire wheels. It’s like a smart mans Harley

However, I am kind of involved with the ADV community so a nice KTM ADV bike would be sweet. I have also cursorily looked at the Honda Africa Twin.

It’s always hard to make a decision. New bike with motor new bike without motor back and forth over and over
Old 01-29-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
Picked up a Fizzer 1 for a good winter price.
Nice looking FZ1 with some tasteful mods. Have fun with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
...that rear plastic "thing" that holds the license plate and tail lights is the textbook definition of "afterthought", it really doesnt compliment the lines of the bike at all. also, what is the round thing on the top of it?
The round thing is the tail light. I believe certain regs require manufacturers to extend a bike's bodywork beyond the end of the rear tire which is why you'll notice funky projections like this on showroom bikes.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
i tell you, that rear plastic "thing" that holds the license plate and tail lights is the textbook definition of "afterthought", it really doesnt compliment the lines of the bike at all. also, what is the round thing on the top of it?
Better....

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-yamaha-xsr900 (1).jpg (69.5 KB, 123 views)
Old 01-29-2017, 12:17 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
what kind of exhaust is that? looks like it would be too loud for my tastes, especially with that many cc's...
Coffman shorty. It was on the bike but it sucks. Loud, and a hole in the midrange. Going to buy a Yoshimura full system and get the ECU flashed. Bike also came with the stock can but it must weigh 40 lbs! On the plus side the bike could pass for new, and it came with every service record since the PO bought it on 9/16/2007