Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2015, 09:03 PM

Carbon Repair Experience

I have a lemond victoire carbon/ti that has a crack around the f Der clamp area that I would like to get fixed.
Any suggestions/experience for repair places on the east coast. Ruckus and Calfee are in the options too, but it's a 61cm frame so the closer the better for shipping.
Thanks
Old 03-04-2015, 09:11 PM

Cyclocarbon is a little closer, and may have better prices...
Old 03-04-2015, 09:38 PM

How did it crack? Accident or too much torque on the bolt? Could it just be the clear coat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
I have a lemond victoire carbon/ti that has a crack around the f Der clamp area that I would like to get fixed.
Any suggestions/experience for repair places on the east coast. Ruckus and Calfee are in the options too, but it's a 61cm frame so the closer the better for shipping.
Thanks
Old 03-04-2015, 09:55 PM

I sanded it down to be sure, it's definitely into the carbon, not sure how far though. It was likely an over-torque issue on the clamp as the frame has a flat spot molded in, to give better derailleur clearance. I assume... although it's placement is right where a clamp wraps around the frame too. I came into the frame second hand... the original owner offered to make it right or give money back so just looking into options.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:24 AM
Registered (ab)User

Not positive but I think Shawn Powell at SPCarbon in NYC does frame repairs.
(Obviously no first-hand experience, sorry.)
http://spcarbon.com/
Old 03-05-2015, 06:30 AM
That guy..

Obviously given my little amount of knowledge on this matter. I have a question. Do most carbon repair shops warranty their worked on area for 10 years like calfee?
Old 03-05-2015, 09:45 AM
Shifty Member

Here's a thread with my experience:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...=150711&page=2

Just torqued the ···· out of it on the trainer for a 90 min hell workout with ED last Sunday too. Bike is no worse for wear.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:31 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Great experience with Ruckus Composites in Portland, OR

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:39 AM
v a n i l l a

This should be obvious but wherever you go make sure they check the finished repair to be sure the tube dia is compatible with your FD clamp - anywhere else the repair doesnt have to match exactly - except in this one spot
Old 03-05-2015, 11:50 AM
Everything is connected

New invention...fd plug in the seat tube similar to a steerer tube plug...only installed at the factory.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:47 PM

Better yet how bout a f der mount as a purpose made part of the frame. Braze-on mount or glue/rivet/bolt -on, etc.

I saw a repair one local mechanic did where he inserted a piece of seatpost into the frame and shot in some expanding foam... aka great stuff... customer didn't believe me that this wasn't a proper repair. You could still move the crack pressing with your fingers. Oh well. "I'm sorry sir we can't fix stupid, but we can rent you a clue."
Old 03-05-2015, 01:23 PM

No experience here, but worth a shot?

http://drummondcycles.com/our-services/carbon-repair/
Old 03-05-2015, 01:48 PM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBay View Post
No experience here, but worth a shot?

http://drummondcycles.com/our-services/carbon-repair/
That's where I sent mine in the linked thread above. They did an excellent job repairing the seat tube at the FD clamp and my Campy Chorus FD fit perfectly.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, google turns up a wide range of places, but have it kind of narrowed down to Ruckus, Kane, or CycloCarbon.

Based on what I've read/heard, Ruckus does an awesome job, but they will likely be at least $100+ in shipping + the cost of the repair as I'm in VA. Calfee is likely to be similar in regards to shipping.

I contacted Jack Kane in NC who is closer, just bouncing emails/photos back and forth and waiting to hear back on an estimate. Has some good info on the website, but again no direct experience other than having seen one of his custom frames come through the shop where I used to work.

Cyclocarbon got back to me with a very reasonable estimate, in Rochester Minnesota is a little closer and gives a lifetime warranty on their work. Anyone ever use them or know of see any of their work?

Sent a message to Drummond as well, they are about as close as Cyclocarbon.

Last edited by cmbicycles; 03-05-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:38 PM

You could possibly use a parlee style clamp that is wider and distributes the clamping forces better and then just keep and eye on it. The repair costs are going to be close to what you can get another used one for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, google turns up a wide range of places, but have it kind of narrowed down to Ruckus, Kane, or CycloCarbon.

Based on what I've read/heard, Ruckus does an awesome job, but they will likely be at least $100+ in shipping + the cost of the repair as I'm in VA. Calfee is likely to be similar in regards to shipping.

I contacted Jack Kane in NC who is closer, just bouncing emails/photos back and forth and waiting to hear back on an estimate. Has some good info on the website, but again no direct experience other than having seen one of his custom frames come through the shop where I used to work.

Cyclocarbon got back to me with a very reasonable estimate, in Rochester Minnesota is a little closer and gives a lifetime warranty on their work. Anyone ever use them or know of see any of their work?

Sent a message to Drummond as well, they are about as close as Cyclocarbon.