Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2015, 03:52 PM

Brother Dave Thompson had one of the Chrysler vans and he just posted some pix of it after being totalled in a head-on collision which left him with minor aches and pains. Heck, at his age minor aches and pains mean it's a GOOD day even without a wreck.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:57 PM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
I have. I thought it was awful to drive. The ride was crashy and unsettled, the engine gutless even by gutless standards. I thought the Mazda 2 was better, honestly.

I was especially disappointed given the old Civic hatchbacks used to be what you described. Fun, earnest, and reliable cars. The Fit was none of those for me. I liked the interior. But that was about it.
Had the (un)fortunate experience of receiving a Fit from Hertz as a rental car --- I wasn't really impressed, but then I got on the interstate and that's when the cat with scotch tape on its paws got loose on the ice...holy crap, that just plain sucked getting blown across the highway at 80mph!

I guess it'd be fine as a city car --- but not one for me. Someone else suggested a Fiesta -- I've driven its cousin, the Mazda2 and would say it'd be very tight fit....you'll want to move up in a size class for any extended range driving.

Lots of opinions about the 'best bike' car --- my suggestions-
small SUV - Mazda CX-5 , Toyota RAV4....
small wagon/hatch- Mazda3, JSW, Prius/Prius V --- or wait for the next Matrix.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:13 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Just grit your teeth....and get a minivan. They will haul you and your bikes, your family, and maybe a kids friend or two in comfort. Most have good seats. They all run a long time. For new, get one that depreciates the least like
Honda Odyssey or Toyota. Used.....get a Dodge or Chrysler....they depreciate the most quickly and are best bargains used. . Contrary to internet wisdom, I have friends with the more recent Dodges and Chryslers (6 speed automatics and 3.6 DOHC engines), that have hi mileage trouble free. They all will run past 200,000 miles with reasonable maintenance. About $18,000-$20,000 will buy a used minivan (2012 or 2013) with 30,000 or so miles with remaining factory warranty. On trips, with a light foot, they get 25-27 MPG (that's what I got recently with a rental on a trip). Around town....not so good.
Don't know if his situation warrants a van as he'll be alone most of the time.

Rented a T&C a while back. Comfortable, for sure, and lots of room. Didn't enjoy the 19MPG we got mixed driving.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:05 PM

New car recommendations (AKA bike transporter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
I would not call AWD a necessity. I would call knowing how to drive your non-AWD vehicle in the snow a necessity.

Almost a necessity. It depends on the terrain and vehicle. We have short steep hills and our minivan with snow tires can't go up certain streets of they aren't plowed or full of slush like today. The van is too heavy and these roads where you get almost no momentum going into the start of the hill ( eg coming off a t-intersection)

Having driven in ski country for decades, there are times when the back roads (gravel, hard pack) freeze and you can't get any traction (Awd, and snow tires) unless you have studs or chains.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:29 PM

Mercedes E-class Wagon

This is my team car (alas upside down for some reason).

AWD.

Two singles and a tandem on the roof (and I could have put more but really didn't need to).

Four passengers + 55lb Vizsla in the back.

Power luxury everything.

And while mine is the normally aspirated 3.5 liter if you have the a need for performance you can get the AMG version with a 6.3 liter bi-turbo which puts out 577hp to all the wheels.

Of course, mine is unreliable and if something breaks parts are available and all you need to do is send one of your children to work in Germany for several years as an indentured servant as payment.

Net: Pricey but wonderful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0996.jpg (75.9 KB, 157 views)

Last edited by oldfatslow; 03-04-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:19 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Brother Dave Thompson had one of the Chrysler vans and he just posted some pix of it after being totalled in a head-on collision which left him with minor aches and pains. Heck, at his age minor aches and pains mean it's a GOOD day even without a wreck.
What? Where? Cabo?

Glad to hear he's OK-ish.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
What? Where? Cabo?

Glad to hear he's OK-ish.
Yep, he was on the highway to La Paz and an oncoming car lost control and hit him head-on. He was alone so no other injuries on his side. I thought he might have posted pix here but I guess it was on Facebook. The van was destroyed. I was impressed how well it protected him.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:56 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Just grit your teeth....and get a minivan. They will haul you and your bikes, your family, and maybe a kids friend or two in comfort. Most have good seats. They all run a long time. For new, get one that depreciates the least like
Honda Odyssey or Toyota. Used.....get a Dodge or Chrysler....they depreciate the most quickly and are best bargains used. . Contrary to internet wisdom, I have friends with the more recent Dodges and Chryslers (6 speed automatics and 3.6 DOHC engines), that have hi mileage trouble free. They all will run past 200,000 miles with reasonable maintenance. About $18,000-$20,000 will buy a used minivan (2012 or 2013) with 30,000 or so miles with remaining factory 100,000 engine and trans warranty. On trips, with a light foot, they get 25-27 MPG (that's what I got recently with a rental on a trip). Around town....not so good.
I'll second the Chrsler minivan thought for two reasons, maybe three. First, it's a fabulous people/stuff hauler. Seven folks if they're real friendly or six readily. With Chrysler's Stow nGo feature, the middle and rear seats fold individually underneath the floor for a totally flat cargo area if needed. We keep one center seat erect and carry 3 bikes and 3 riders and all necessary gear inside. Second it gets extremely good gas mileage. I've recorded as high as 30 mpg and can depend on 24~27mpg almost constantly. It handles and brakes very well, is extremely stable at high speeds and in windy/gusty conditions. It performed extremely well on the 3000 mile drive down to southern Baja California, which brings me to the third reason.

It saved my life! Two weeks ago I was involved in a high-speed head on collision, each car doing about 60mph. Both cars were destroyed. The other driver is still in the hospital. As for me, I got out of my smoking ruin of a car and thought, literally, "Cool! I'm alive." I did suffer some very slight injuries, plus some aches snd pains but I was walking around after the collision helping where I could.

The collision was the other driver's fault and they had good insurance. So last week I called my Chrysler dealer back in Spokane from whom I purchased my Town and Country minivan from and ordered another one to be ready when I get back to the states in April.

Often now I sit on the steps, watch the sun rise and think, I'm alive, thank you.

Last edited by dave thompson; 03-05-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:11 AM

Hatchbacks

Hatchbacks are the way to go for cycling. I have a Mazda 3, and I think it was a good choice. VW Golf and the Jetta Wagon like you said are good as well.

Having a Mini-Van was my backup. Take out all the rear seats, and throw bikes in with ease.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:58 PM
kg

Thanks guys. Keep the suggestions coming, especially if you want to second a particular car that's already come up or add a new option.

I'm going to have to veto the mini-van. We decided on one kid only because we didn't want to have to get one . It's just overkill for my daily needs.

I'm liking the idea of something that can handle one bike inside on a regular basis and a hitch mount rack when I need to carry two.

I guess that hews in favor of a wagon or a hatchback including the JSW, Prius, various Mazdas, Honda CRV and the new Honda mentioned above. Did I miss anything?

I might mention that I'm 6'1" and all leg. That shouldn't be a problem for the type of vehicles under consideration.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:34 AM

New car recommendations (AKA bike transporter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post

I might mention that I'm 6'1" and all leg. That shouldn't be a problem for the type of vehicles under consideration.

I would definitely test drive any car to make sure the seats are comfortable. Some cars have shorter seat cushions and lack support for folks with long legs.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Oh shoot I knew that Van. I missed this but I’m glad he is ok.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:04 AM

I am very Happy with my 2015 Fit. The 2015 is a more substantial car that previous iterations.

My EX is a nice little car. I really just needed a local car and it works great. I have only had more substantial and sporty cars like my GTI, MAZDASPEED, ForesterXT etc but I am happy with the price of this.

I paid 17.5k and I am averaging 37mpg for local commutes. The interior is pretty roomy and accommodates my wife and kids and my 58 cm bike (not all together) well.

To each his own...
Old 03-06-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfatslow View Post

a need for performance you can get the AMG version with a 6.3 liter bi-turbo which puts out 577hp to all the wheels.

O
that would be awesome to roll in a station wagon that nets, what, 12mpg driven conservatively?
Old 03-06-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
that would be awesome to roll in a station wagon that nets, what, 12mpg driven conservatively?
If you can afford the purchase price you likely can afford the gas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2015-03-06 at 7.13.16 AM.jpg (24.6 KB, 53 views)