Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
I would not call AWD a necessity. I would call knowing how to drive your non-AWD vehicle in the snow a necessity.
Exactly. Went from an Audi A4 quattro w/snows to a Golf tdi w/snows.

Very do-able.

BTW, a Prius V would work for your vehicle needs.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:51 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
I would not call AWD a necessity. I would call knowing how to drive your non-AWD vehicle in the snow a necessity.
Agreed. If snow becomes an issue, just get some proper snow tires.

But given that the OP is in Austin, I doubt AWD is a requirement for him.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:55 PM

So my $0.02:

Do the bikes have to go inside? If outside, roof or hitch rack preferred?

My wife and I have a little 2012 Ford Fiesta SE with 3 trays on the roof. Great gas mileage, but not really sporty. Also no fold down 2nd row. As a result I've done a fair amount of research for the next car purchase. Consider a wagon of some kind. Hitch mount has advantage of being removed when not needed (or in my case because my wife hates roof racks). Also you don't have to worry about ripping the bikes off the roof should you drive into a garage or something and forget about them.

Make sure 2nd row will fold flat. Ford Focus may be a good option. Some sort of VW wagon could be good too. I know lots of folks with TDI wagons that love them.

Honda fit is pretty solid choice as well for interior space but small gas friendly car.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:55 PM

It snows in Austin once a millennium. It pays to be prepared.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:59 PM

Another vote for the Fit plus a hitch rack for versatility, although the HR-V looks interesting.

Last edited by toastedbread; 03-04-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post

and both wheels hung on the rack (to get it narrower).

That is a really good idea and I NEVER thought of doing it. DOH!
Old 03-04-2015, 02:11 PM

Or,on another tack, it might make sense to buy the small green car and rent something bigger on those occasions when the extra room is needed. I have gotten some super nice AWD Utes for $17-20 a day using Priceline Name-Your-Own Price program. If the car you really want gets 40+ mpg vs. 20mpg for the big one you only need occasionally this could save you enough in gas to pay for the rentals.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
very much agree. I feel like many are tricked about AWD being necessary. it costs more and gets less MPG.

snow tires make more of a difference than AWD.
I think some drivers get in trouble because when they experience better acceleration with their first AWD vehicle they don't realize it doesn't help them turn or brake until it's too late. I like to think that after their first "Uh-Oh moment" they wise up.

I agree with the idea that REAL winter tires and 2-wheel drive is better than AWD and M+S tires.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:31 PM

If you want anything remotely sporty, the Fit won't, well, fit.

Agree with everyone else that your best bet will be a hitch rack. Have had a 2010 GTI since new and had a roof rack for awhile, but the gas penalty and other reasons led me to strip it off the car. I can fold the rear seats to get a 60cm bike in easily with the front wheel off, but two would be impossible.

I'm kicking around the idea of a hitch rack if I need to haul more than one bike.

I'd say something like a Ford Fiesta or Focus with a hitch rack would be the way to go.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:56 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
If you want anything remotely sporty, the Fit won't, well, fit...
Just curious, have you driven one before? Yes, it's a econobox, puny 115hp engine, but given what it is, it's actually not bad at all. Light, nimble, relatively stiff suspension--reminds me of an old CRX. I've had my share of sports cars, but the Fit isn't half bad. Don't expect a Lotus experience, and you'll have fun flicking it around.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
That is a really good idea and I NEVER thought of doing it. DOH!
Eh, I don't know if it really helps. It should, in theory, I guess. I did it because the view out the back window of the Prius is so bad that I didn't want anything blocking my side mirrors...
Old 03-04-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Just curious, have you driven one before? Yes, it's a econobox, puny 115hp engine, but given what it is, it's actually not bad at all. Light, nimble, relatively stiff suspension--reminds me of an old CRX. I've had my share of sports cars, but the Fit isn't half bad. Don't expect a Lotus experience, and you'll have fun flicking it around.
I have. I thought it was awful to drive. The ride was crashy and unsettled, the engine gutless even by gutless standards. I thought the Mazda 2 was better, honestly.

I was especially disappointed given the old Civic hatchbacks used to be what you described. Fun, earnest, and reliable cars. The Fit was none of those for me. I liked the interior. But that was about it.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
If you want anything remotely sporty, the Fit won't, well, fit.

Agree with everyone else that your best bet will be a hitch rack. Have had a 2010 GTI since new and had a roof rack for awhile, but the gas penalty and other reasons led me to strip it off the car. I can fold the rear seats to get a 60cm bike in easily with the front wheel off, but two would be impossible.

I'm kicking around the idea of a hitch rack if I need to haul more than one bike.

I'd say something like a Ford Fiesta or Focus with a hitch rack would be the way to go.
As a fiesta owner, I'll tell ya it ain't sporty (as in not much get up and go to it). Focus is definitely better IMHO. If you want a lot more space, a smaller Ford Transit could be good. Good MPG and lots of space. Easy enough to car camp in it if needed. Re hitch racks, consider a kuat NV. Rad rack w/ a repair stand built in!
Old 03-04-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPIC! Stratton View Post
As a fiesta owner, I'll tell ya it ain't sporty (as in not much get up and go to it). Focus is definitely better IMHO. If you want a lot more space, a smaller Ford Transit could be good. Good MPG and lots of space. Easy enough to car camp in it if needed. Re hitch racks, consider a kuat NV. Rad rack w/ a repair stand built in!
Well, I was implying the ST versions if the OP was looking for sporty as a component. Both definitely fit the bill. Heck, the Fiesta is more highly regarded as a hot hatch than its bigger brother.

But you're right. Comes down to what the OP prioritizes. The Transit would be a fantastic hauling option if bikes inside the vehicle is a must have.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:45 PM

Just grit your teeth....and get a minivan. They will haul you and your bikes, your family, and maybe a kids friend or two in comfort. Most have good seats. They all run a long time. For new, get one that depreciates the least like
Honda Odyssey or Toyota. Used.....get a Dodge or Chrysler....they depreciate the most quickly and are best bargains used. . Contrary to internet wisdom, I have friends with the more recent Dodges and Chryslers (6 speed automatics and 3.6 DOHC engines), that have hi mileage trouble free. They all will run past 200,000 miles with reasonable maintenance. About $18,000-$20,000 will buy a used minivan (2012 or 2013) with 30,000 or so miles with remaining factory 100,000 engine and trans warranty. On trips, with a light foot, they get 25-27 MPG (that's what I got recently with a rental on a trip). Around town....not so good.

Last edited by Ralph; 03-04-2015 at 04:14 PM.