Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2015, 10:09 AM

I think it depends on the vehicle whether it's an easy DIY. I have a Toyota Highlander and it definitely was not easy. UHaul did it for a flat rate price that was competitive with the online prices. I have discovered that UHaul is surprisingly competitive on price for most things.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:24 AM

UHaul is the best value
Old 03-04-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbecman View Post
It is pretty easy for a DIY project.

==> My big tip would be to make sure the bolt holes are completely cleaned out...chances are there is a lot of road crud in there. Use some WD-40 or something similar and get those threads nice and clean. A little grease on the bolts and you will be good to go.
I don't think the cars frame is threaded, at least my Civic isn't, I assume the same for the Accord. I had to feed a nut through the frame to a hole froma larger access hole and a bolt in another.

Took me about an hour, had to drop the exhaust and remove a plastic panel and also trim the heat shield under the exhaust a little. Probably about an hour.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:14 AM
bourbon!

I had a fully wired 2" hitch installed on a Toyota Sienna and it was $325 or so.

I'm glad I had those guys do it as they had to pull apart some of the interior panel to get the wiring hooked up correctly.

If it's just a bolt on with no lights, it should be easier esp if you have ramps.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:47 AM

I am not sure you can get a 2" receiver for an Accord, it usually depends on the towing capacity of the vehicle. Accord's aren't able to tow anything for that class hitch, so I doubt manufacturers make them that way for liability reasons.

I installed a 1.25 hitch on my Outback, with wiring, and it took about an hour. Bought a Curt hitch and wire harness online, and it came with a "fishing wire" and directions. Had to thread a bolt through the frame, and drop an exhaust hanger out of the way, but even so and with the wiring it was fairly easy. I bought a factory wire harness and it just plugs in behind one of the interior panels, plug and play. I hang the wires out of the back hatch when I need to tow anything, and tuck it back in when finished.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:32 PM

just fyi, the dealer installed towing hitches are usually part of a towing package that includes wiring and a tranny cooler. not sure if honda even makes one for the accord because it's not really going to be pulling a boat or anything, but i know that's the case for the dealer installed odyssey. mine was quoted at like $700. i asked why so much and was given that explanation. for a simple bike rack, it's unnecessary.

i'd do a youtube search for the specific year and model. someone's probably done it and posted it up so you'll know what's involved if you diy. for an accord, almost certainly.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:29 PM

OT: cost to have 1.25 trailer hitch installed on a car like Honda Accord

I did this on my 2011 accord sedan. It's really easy to do it yourself . Purchased a Curt hitch on Amazon for 80$.

If your handy with tools it's easy just drop the muffler .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2015, 03:18 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
UHaul is the best value
I agree with this. Don't know about other places, but Uhaul was cheapest on our Outback. Around $190 installed, with a lifetime warranty, even if in a wreck or it rusts out. The Outback required a little bit of drilling and moving the exhaust around, so it was worth it for me not to be laying on concrete for 45 minutes in 20 deg weather.

But I did install a hitch in my Honda Fit. What a mistake. One of the bolts welded inside a crossmember broke loose. Still haven't fixed it, as it is tight enough. I either have to drill a hole in the trunk or figure some way of tightening it down. Should have just had Uhaul do it.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:29 PM

Don't know how many bikes you are talking about, or if bikes plus family but.....On a Accord one bike fits easily in trunk with wheels off, and on will fit in back seat.

I haul multiple bikes inside using a couple moving blankets ($8 each) from Harbor freight, plus about a dozen old towels from house. Cover chain and cassette with towels (cassettes with paper towels), and put them inside. Nothing gets dirty, nothing gets scratched.

When I go on a trip with our Ford edge, with wife in back seat (daughter rides in front), I take apart 3 bikes, wheels and pedals off, and stack them up behind back seat. With wheels off and pedals off, they don't take much room. I assemble and disassembly upside down on a towel behind vehicle so don't scratch seat or handle bars, then shock cord the chain to the seat rail so it doesn't flop around. Only takes me a couple minutes to get going on a ride, or pack for return trip. I admit to having brakes adjusted so wheels go in and out easy, and I've done this so many times it's simple. And when I flip the bikes over on their wheels for riding, all my wheels drop right into the drop out groves for final skewer check and tightening, for perfect alignment, so no issues there.

Last edited by Ralph; 03-04-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:06 PM

+1 on the UHaul hitch. They did one on my Honda, but I had to make sure they put the 1 1/4" on, they wanted to do the 1 1/8" as my car wasn't "rated" for the bigger one, or something, if I'm recalling correctly. I wanted the 1 1/4" as it was a lot stiffer with the bigger mount for the rack.

I LOVE my Thule, it's so much easier to get stuff on/off, especially the wife's heavier townie bike.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:14 PM

If you go to etrailer.com, they usually have a video and text on how to install a hitch on your vehicle. Do not assume anything. Lot of these installation requiring removing the exhaust clamps. My Chevrolet Malibu required drilling some holes in very hard steel.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:05 PM

2004 accord here.. Purchased an 1-1/4 hitch from u haul. This style hitch is a 3 point attachment. The u haul rack doesn't require to drop the muffler but bolt to the welded loop tie down under the vehicle and drill 2 holes in the spare tire tub. It's been on the car for three years and so far so good and has been very good not corroding in salt happy NE Ohio. Hope that helps. Oh and I use a saris Thelma because of the lightweight and doesn't tax my suspension like my old heavy saris cycle on. Hope that helps