Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
This thread imay result in me buying a swiss mechanical that I don't need...
Mission accomplished?
Old 02-16-2015, 06:43 AM

I had a 656 that I really enjoyed for almost 3 years and sold it on eBay for more than I paid for it new. This was about 3.5 years ago. You will able to read the clean face of your 556i well into your 80s and the style will still look great well after you are dead no matter which styling fads come and go in the interim. It is overpriced.
-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
Hey forumites, I am finishing a master's degree in May and I'm starting to look at watches. I'm looking for a nicely made mechanical watch on a bracelet that won't embarrass me in front of clients/bosses/father-in-law's etc.. that will all inevitably have a bigger bank accounts than mine for some time to come. So far, the one watch that keeps catching my eye is the Sinn 556i. It's so good-looking, but it seems a little overpriced compared to it's competitors. Who out there has one, and who out there has an opinion about one?

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2015, 06:59 AM

I've enjoyed this thread. I love watches, but as I'm retired, I no longer need the high end wrist bling. I've got a Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece that needs a new home should anyone be in the market.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:39 AM

hoping to add this timepiece to my collection someday....will need to liquify some assets however

Old 02-16-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
Mission accomplished?
Something like that
Old 02-16-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDeeter View Post
I've enjoyed this thread. I love watches, but as I'm retired, I no longer need the high end wrist bling. I've got a Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece that needs a new home should anyone be in the market.
I buy watches for myself so I do not see my watch needs changing when I retire.

Jeff
Old 02-16-2015, 04:43 PM
#bottlestorage

This is the watch I will get before the summer boating season. Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Seiko SKX007 automatic diver. $150 grey-market on Amazon.

It has the legendary 7s26 movement and a cult following. (Google it and you'll see.)

Do you want to impress folks with how much you paid, or do you want a great movement?

http://monochrome-watches.com/seiko-...beater-divers/

Old 02-16-2015, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbysecondrow View Post
This is the watch I will get before the summer boating season. Classic
i've got one too, but i loathe that stock band, it's just too bulky for the watch to wear as nicely as it can. put that baby on a NATO strap, and it's golden!
Old 02-16-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i've got one too, but i loathe that stock band, it's just too bulky for the watch to wear as nicely as it can. put that baby on a NATO strap, and it's golden!

NATO straps
Old 02-16-2015, 06:07 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
I just bought one of these straps with white stitching for my SKX007. Haven't had a chance to put it on yet. (I decided that I didn't want to go with a Nato strap, mostly because my two other daily-driver watches are on Nato straps, plus they're a bit plain, unless you go color, which I did not want to do.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/22mm-PVC-Com...item1c1a47f820

Old 02-16-2015, 08:06 PM
Descent fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
Not a great source for NATO bands currently, since all the nylon ones are sold out, and the leather ones are $85.
ZULU bands are really nice, but a bit on the higher end for NATO style straps. The famous auction site is a great place to find a variety of NATO straps, but buyer beware as far as quality is concerned.
I am not a fan of the extra metal rings and backing strip on most of these bands, so I modify them to get rid of the extra rings and strip. It makes the watch sit a bit lower on your wrist.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:11 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in SLO View Post
Not a great source for NATO bands currently, since all the nylon ones are sold out, and the leather ones are $85.
ZULU bands are really nice, but a bit on the higher end for NATO style straps. The famous auction site is a great place to find a variety of NATO straps, but buyer beware as far as quality is concerned.
I am not a fan of the extra metal rings and backing strip on most of these bands, so I modify them to get rid of the extra rings and strip. It makes the watch sit a bit lower on your wrist.
The Zulus are nice. I like the Maratac Mil-series bands as well.

This is a good source for both of those - http://www.broadarrow.net/maratac.htm
Old 02-16-2015, 08:18 PM

Nothing like a beautiful pocket watch. Funny used to wear one all the time back when I wore suits. Suits even had watch pockets.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:01 AM
#bottlestorage

I don't think this is wrong, but here is a different perspective.

My thoughts: I like the idea of a mechanical watch, sort of like I like the idea of a garden. It is cool, until you have to tend to your watch. I wear other watches and often put mine down for a few days, then I have to reset the time. I don't want to work for the watch, it should work for me.

So, my thoughts: When you get a mechanical watch like the Omega, it is more than a tool. It is equipment which you will have to tend to and pay to maintain. If you are cool with this, then go for it. Me, I want my watch to help me, be a tool for me... if I were to go mechanical again, it would be something simple like the Seiko dive watch mentioned earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm View Post

When I think watch I think mechanical, sorry but quartz and electronic time pieces are just not watches to me. A watch is a tiny machine that you can wear on your wrist or keep in your pocket that does not require a battery. If accuracy is your primary concern just use your phone it'll always be more accurate. If you just like the look or use them as jewelry then quartz is fine. Which brings up my final point and main justification.

Most men don't wear jewelry or at least not much. I think that is a justification for spending more than necessary on a watch, if you like them. A good watch will last basically your life time and can be passed on to your offspring so when you divide 1-7k over a life time they really are not that expensive and if you choose wisely you'll use it everyday.

Disclaimer it's all my opinion, I don't not how to add emoticons but I'd put one here and N+1 with watches is equally if not more likely than bicycles.

and I do realize that you can spend way more than 7k on a watch but hey if you got that kind of cash you don't need justification
Old 02-17-2015, 08:02 AM
#bottlestorage

Quote:
Being a bigger guy, I am hoping it fits nicely stock, but if not, the Nato is good option too. That is part of the allure is the options you have to make the watch comfortable and stylish for little $$$.