Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart998 View Post
That 250 is too light for a longer commute like yours... try the new Honda NC700, more comfort and gets better MPG than the 250....
You may as well tell him to get a Pacific Coast

Blech!

M
Old 04-09-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
that should just about do it
Old 04-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
You may as well tell him to get a Pacific Coast
I guy I know at work used to have one - probably one of the top 5 ugliest motorcycles ever made.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:36 PM

I was wondering what you were up to

I've been wondering, "Gee, I haven't seen a new bike from AS in a long time, what's he up to? Either he ran out of money, or he ran out of space."

Now we have the answer.

Good luck with the new toy, whatever you end up with. And be careful.

Murph (who had a big bad Honda CB125S back around '80)

See you at D2R2??
Old 04-09-2013, 08:30 PM

Agree with the previous posters that most bikes--even middleweights--are realistically too fast for the street. I used to have a VFR800--when I wound it out with the gear driven cams going, it sounded wonderful--but then I was going 85+mph where I really shouldn't have been. By the time I stopped riding a few years ago, I had "graduated" down to 650 dual sports: torquey and fun, and nice fitting for a tall guy like me.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:59 AM
It An't Me Babe

Good for you in deciding to get a motorcycle. The world is much better seen and traveled on two wheels.

Agree that taking a MSF course is crucial especially if you do not currently have a MC designation on your DMV license. Learn good habits from the start is easier than to unlearn - SIPDE.

I have never understood the advice the a new rider's first motorcycle should be a smaller or underpowered bike - unless that is indeed what is desired. The rider ostensibly has a brain which controls the right hand and its ability to apply throttle. If things are happening too fast then either slow down or extend the field of situational awareness.

Finally, no question that the car operators, cagers, are distracted and incompetent. But even their stupidity is not wholly random. And it is a finite universe. Best of luck with this. Get a Ducati
Old 04-10-2013, 07:41 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I guy I know at work used to have one - probably one of the top 5 ugliest motorcycles ever made.
VERY practical tho. That big ole trunk? Genius.

Too bad they're ugly. Boring. ...and a Honda.

@Fuzzalow: my first ride ever on a MC was a little Kawasaki 80cc dirt bike. I was in 5th grade or so. The basic controls were explained to me and I was set loose in this big pasture. That size was my saving grace! I'd evidently grabbed the throttle with my wrist cocked forward so when I accelerated, my wrist rotated back, increasing my rate of acceleration, repeat till going what felt like top speed. Took me a good while to figure out WTHeck I was doing wrong and roll my wrist back forward. Didn't make that same mistake again when I got my own bike years and years later.

Do the same thing on a liter bike (or even a 600cc sportbike) and things get out of control in a hurry! :nod

M

Last edited by Gummee; 04-10-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:46 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
I have never understood the advice the a new rider's first motorcycle should be a smaller or underpowered bike
I believe this.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:02 AM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
@Fuzzalow: my first ride ever on a MC was a little Kawasaki 80cc dirt bike. I was in 5th grade or so. The basic controls were explained to me and I was set loose in this big pasture.
Yes, and you ducked a mishap with that one. I'll take better lucky than good anyday.

In reply: But the OP is not in 5th grade. And he is receiving advice to enroll and participate in MSF, which in most states will also earn the MC designation from the DMV instead of taking the MC road test. A win-win deal if there ever was one.

Most newly designated MC operator accidents happen in the first 6 months. IMO largely because the operator applied learned, habitual bad driving instincts and judgement to the operation of a MC. Don't take my word for it, ask your insurance agent who sees this all the time as part of seasonal business. My agent phrased it as "It's all or none in the first 6 months...".
Old 04-10-2013, 08:12 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
I have never understood the advice the a new rider's first motorcycle should be a smaller or underpowered bike
Riders should start with a small bike because:
- They're easier to flat foot and move around in a parking lot or garage
- They make slow-speed maneuvering easier (if you can't turn a motorcycle around with the bars at the steer stop and dragging the rear brake, you can't ride a motorcycle)
- They're cheaper to fix if you drop them (not talking about crashing, talking about parking lots again)
- Inexperienced riders are less likely to get into a challenging situation much too fast on a smaller bike. Decreasing radius turns would be a perfect example.
- Small bikes bought used have effectively zero depreciation. Riding a small bike for a year before stepping up to a bigger bike is a smart investment in a life-long riding career.

There are no "underpowered" bikes sold in the US; even a pre-2008 Ninja 250 is faster than a 1989 Porsche 911 from 0 to 60 mph.

And telling people to "extend their situational awareness" isn't much help. It's sort of like telling people to "just get smarter." Inexperienced riders have poor situational awareness because they are, inherently, inexperienced.

BTW, the OP is knee-high to a junebug and weighs, what 70 lbs? I don't think he should get a ZG1000 Connie regardless...
Old 04-10-2013, 08:12 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Yes, and you ducked a mishap with that one. I'll take better lucky than good anyday.

In reply: But the OP is not in 5th grade. And he is receiving advice to enroll and participate in MSF, which in most states will also earn the MC designation from the DMV instead of taking the MC road test. A win-win deal if there ever was one.

Most newly designated MC operator accidents happen in the first 6 months. IMO largely because the operator applied learned, habitual bad driving instincts and judgement to the operation of a MC. Don't take my word for it, ask your insurance agent who sees this all the time as part of seasonal business. My agent phrased it as "It's all or none in the first 6 months...".
I'll agree with most of that. ...except that n00bs + big bikes + brain fade = big trouble.

n00bs + little bikes + brain fade = smaller trouble. The problem may be 'fixable' in time due to the lower speeds involved in that brain fade.

Pretty much any mid-level displacement bike is going to have enough oomph to get someone in trouble in a hurry.

*I* refuse to own a sport bike till I can take it to the track and ride it to its potential. On the street *I* don't feel they make sense. ...but that's my opinion and not necessarily everyone's.

M
Old 04-10-2013, 08:17 AM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
But the Pacific Coast was as quiet as an electric scooter which I used to really appreciate when I was sitting outside at my local coffee shop. It was nice since every j-hole on their Harley used to rev it going through town begging for everyone to pay attention. It was like they enjoy saying "Hey everyone, my parents didn't pay enough attention to me so now I'm dropping all my money on chrome for this obnoxiously loud bike instead saving for my kids college fund!"
Old 04-10-2013, 09:34 AM

I was in a similar situation 2 years ago. I went through a break up and just wanted to do something different so I took the MSF course and bought a new Ninja 250. I got bored after 6 months (and some other reasons) and sold the Ninja 250 and bought myself a nice carbon bicycle with that money. Just keep in mind you may not like this sport so I would recommend just getting a cheap beater bike to test out the waters. Selling that Ninja was the best decision I've made. Road cycling is soooo much more fun IMO
Old 04-10-2013, 10:55 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
But the Pacific Coast was as quiet as an electric scooter which I used to really appreciate when I was sitting outside at my local coffee shop. It was nice since every j-hole on their Harley used to rev it going through town begging for everyone to pay attention. It was like they enjoy saying "Hey everyone, my parents didn't pay enough attention to me so now I'm dropping all my money on chrome for this obnoxiously loud bike instead saving for my kids college fund!"
Where's the 'like' button?!

Go watch the South Park 'F-gs' episode... Its online.

Me? I'd rather sneak up on em. Between not annoying the other road users and not alerting the po-po, quiet is better. :nod

I used to live appx a mile away from I-10 in Tucson. If I can hear your MC from home, your bike is too farging loud. ...that includes sportbikes too!

M
Old 04-10-2013, 11:23 AM

The small Monster is an ideal starter bike. The little Japanese thumpers are not light, and the Monster is not heavy.