Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2015, 08:02 AM
Not-so-Senior

In praise of: Assos Fugu gloves

These have been discussed in several threads previously, but I wanted to chime in: I really like the Fugu gloves.

My wife bought a pair for me over a year ago, but being in California, I only recently had the occasion to use them in cold conditions. I've now ridden them in temperatures as low as 32°F (yup, it does get that cold here in the mornings), in descents up to ~35 mph, and they have been just fine (the rating on the box says 0°C - 8°C). I felt that I had full control of shifters and braking, and could make adjustments to my helmet and sunglasses with them on. It's a bit harder to get stuff out of the rear pockets, depending on how snug they are.

But the real revelation is that these gloves have fantastic dexterity for general and photographic use. They are the thickest and warmest gloves I've ever used that allow me to fully control a DSLR. We were in Santa Fe in January, when the temperatures were in the 20's, and the gloves not only kept my hands nice and toasty, but allowed me to keeping shooting, change lenses, change memory cards, etc. This ability and their stylish design extend their usefulness.

A note on fit: my long fingers usually demand XL gloves, but the Fugus fit, well, like a glove, in size L. Not much room left for liners, though, so if you want to extend the temperature range, I'd go one size up.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:31 AM

nice
Old 03-05-2015, 08:44 AM

I had my eyes on these and went with the lighter-weight Bonka glove instead.

The Bonka glove (for my cold hands) isn't warm enough when temps dip below 40 which is where the Fugu probably shines. Dexterity for the Bonka is also excellent. In fact, I use my Bonka glove for trap/skeet/sporting clays shooting and can still feel the trigger pull despite the glove's heft.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:45 AM
Everything is connected

Nice review. I have a pair of the Assos Early Winter gloves and they work well in the temperature range (43-52F) as stated. I was surprised at how warm they kept my hands when caught out in a cold rain a few times.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:54 AM

I would be curious to see how these would perform in single-digit temperatures. Has anyone used them in such temps?

The temperature ranges discussed so far aren't really cold to many of us stuck in crappier climates. I've had my eye on these gloves but use in colder temps would be a must.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:19 AM

I have 2 fugu gloves. One in L and the other in XL. The approach is I can is the L up to 25-30F and be happy. The XL with a thick wool or silk liner and it works really well for me down to single digit temps.

Fugu booties have not been that great in my case.

The fugu helm is awesome. Really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2015, 11:22 AM

Oh and I should say that I usually do have colder extremities while cycling in cold weather. So others could go down further without layering, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2015, 11:26 AM

What do you guys use for liners?
Old 03-05-2015, 12:43 PM

In general or with the Assos gloves?

In general for liners I am using some Thermafleece Black Diamond gloves, some Mountain Hardwear of the same material, and a pair of Manzella Windstopper gloves. I made a trip to my local REI last fall and went on a spree there with gloves.

I've also used the common knit fleece gloves.

I can't tell a whole lot of difference between them once it gets into single digits. The shell gloves and liners that I have barely keep up at those temps. For teens and above they get the job done.

I usually don't wear a liner/shell combo unless it's below 25 or so.