Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2017, 03:13 PM

problem solved

I, too, visited my podiatrist after buying a new pair of Sidi Shots.. I had a small bunion on the outside of my right foot. She stretched it in the appropriate spot and "viola"!, problem solved!..they're great shoes and I'm glad it's worked out.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:30 PM
Kind of OK

When I was climbing like a maniac, we used to wear new climbing shoes into the shower then let them dry as we walked (hobbled) around.
I also have it on personal data that a drenching downpour 20 miles out can reshape your shoes nicely.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
Or buy a new pair of S-works shoes. I have massive bunions and they have a nice, wide foot box.
Surely you can't be serious.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Also a leather shoe such as a LAKE could be handy in this situation.
This right here. Lake is even making an extra wide shoe now. The leather is so soft and supple and with the dual boa straps you can tighten it down where you need it and not where you don't. Love em.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:27 PM

Someone touched on it briefly, but Lorica and similar synthetics used in a lot of modern cycling shoes simply doesn't stretch. That's part of the appeal, so riding in the rain doesn't ruin them. However, they either don't move at all, or you damage the stretched spot so it develops a crack later, or it stretches out a bit and shrinks back down. I've mostly found the first case, a couple times (says something about my intelligence that I had to learn this one twice after it not working already a few times) it cracked, and I've yet to be happy with the result. If it does stretches, it's very localized so you have a little bump rather than a good even stretch like you get with leather. I think you'll ruin the shoes. Your call, of course.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:14 PM

I was told by one shoe repairman that leather can be stretched but made made materials, not that much. I switched from Sidi to Giro and find they are more comfortable. My Sidi 5's are much sexier that my Giro Factors, but I'm a function over form guy! The older I get, the fussier my feet have become?
Old 10-11-2017, 05:59 PM

OP swap to lake.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
OP swap to lake.
Yes, actually, if you need a shoe that lets you tinker with it a bit (either just using alcohol or having a cobbler work on it), I always recommend Lake or Fizik.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:59 PM

Find a natural leather upper, or one with a wider toe box. Synethic upper Sidis are renowed for being pretty bullet proof for a reason. That stuff does not deform much at all.

I'd throw in a recommendation for Bonts. Nice and wide if you've got toebox issues.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:05 PM

Why not Sidi- mega's with good insoles?
Old 10-12-2017, 06:40 AM

If you don't do surgery, I would get shoes to fit.

I had bunion surgery about 20 years ago....but it didn't totally fix my issue. My big toes still pointed toward the next toe, and rubbed.

So this past July...finished the job. Had surgery to straighten out my big toe....had to break the toe and shave off some of the joint. Then to correct what was causing the (my) problem......over pronation......had a stent (looks like a crank arm bolt on a ST crankset) put into the slot above my foot structure, where the tibia and fibula bone connect. This lifted my arch, so now walking almost normally. At any rate....regular shoes now fit...and I don't wear callouses on my feet or toes any more. Was off the bike about 6 weeks. But now my cycling shoes fit, and my leg doesn't do the weird wobble at the bottom of the pedal stroke anymore (that always wore a sore spot on butt...no matter how I adjusted saddle). Good luck.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
If you don't do surgery, I would get shoes to fit.

This. I used to assist surgeons on bunion and hammertoe (also from tight fitting shoes) cases when I sold orthopedic implants. Both procedures are pretty nasty and if it costs a new pair of shoes to avoid the problem, it's well worth it.