Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2017, 02:44 PM

OT resurrection of living in a van thread

So after many months and pretty much giving up hope, I got the job in Ridgecrest CA. I am NOT living in a van, because I couldn't find one I trusted to drive here for under 10k. Maybe that was a completely unreasonable budget, but all I found are incredibly nice (and $$$) Sprinters, ridiculously priced westfalia, or beat to hell "surf" vans that might cost 3-4k but I had no hope they'd survive desert temps in the summer or even make the trip up here etc. I do have a truck so considered a micro-camper, but am still enamored with the idea of the van for some reason--park it and sleep, take it to Kernville to mtb etc. I gave up on 4x4 once I saw the costs of those. anyway, my new question is: I was reviewing the truck threads here and wondered if the advice on certain years of trucks from ford, dodge, chevy would also apply to the vans of the same model years? My wife laid claim to our old freestar for the times she needs to schlep 7 kids for school functions--my initial plan was to try and convert it on my own. But now that I am working, I know I won't be spending my free time doing a van conversion myself, so am back to looking at already done camper vans. I figure my hotel lodging is only about $12500 a year, so it doesn't make sense to buy a 45k sprinter. I plan to talk to the RV park and see if I could park my truck with a "pop up" style roof top tent there--don't see why not.
jim
Old 09-27-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
So after many months and pretty much giving up hope, I got the job in Ridgecrest CA. I am NOT living in a van, because I couldn't find one I trusted to drive here for under 10k. Maybe that was a completely unreasonable budget, but all I found are incredibly nice (and $$$) Sprinters, ridiculously priced westfalia, or beat to hell "surf" vans that might cost 3-4k but I had no hope they'd survive desert temps in the summer or even make the trip up here etc. I do have a truck so considered a micro-camper, but am still enamored with the idea of the van for some reason--park it and sleep, take it to Kernville to mtb etc. I gave up on 4x4 once I saw the costs of those. anyway, my new question is: I was reviewing the truck threads here and wondered if the advice on certain years of trucks from ford, dodge, chevy would also apply to the vans of the same model years? My wife laid claim to our old freestar for the times she needs to schlep 7 kids for school functions--my initial plan was to try and convert it on my own. But now that I am working, I know I won't be spending my free time doing a van conversion myself, so am back to looking at already done camper vans. I figure my hotel lodging is only about $12500 a year, so it doesn't make sense to buy a 45k sprinter. I plan to talk to the RV park and see if I could park my truck with a "pop up" style roof top tent there--don't see why not.
jim
Rent a room from someone in the area maybe??? Living out of a car in the desert doesn't sound particularly restful...
Old 09-27-2017, 02:54 PM

Here’s my new baby. A 1984 Chevy G20 van, converted by Winnebago, with 105k miles on it. Couch that folds into a bed? Yup. 4 captains chairs that swivel? Yup. Towing package? Yup. Fits multiple bikes inside without removing wheels?Yup. Under $3k? Yup.

I bought it local, and went on a 500 mile road trip the week after. In fact it’s going on it’s 3rd 500+ mile road trip this weekend. That makes 3 in September. I can park for the night, drink beer in my recliner, then crawl into my comfy bed. Dead nuts reliable, simple to get parts for and work on, and parts are cheap! The hipster/#vanlife trend has made VW and Sprinter van prices go well beyond reasonable. There’s still a lot of other cool vans out there that can do the same damn thing.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
Here’s my new baby. A 1984 Chevy G20 van, converted by Winnebago, with 105k miles on it. Couch that folds into a bed? Yup. 4 captains chairs that swivel? Yup. Towing package? Yup. Fits multiple bikes inside without removing wheels?Yup. Under $3k? Yup.

I bought it local, and went on a 500 mile road trip the week after. In fact it’s going on it’s 3rd 500+ mile road trip this weekend. That makes 3 in September. I can park for the night, drink beer in my recliner, then crawl into my comfy bed. Dead nuts reliable, simple to get parts for and work on, and parts are cheap! The hipster/#vanlife trend has made VW and Sprinter van prices go well beyond reasonable. There’s still a lot of other cool vans out there that can do the same damn thing.

JEEZ, It looks NEW!
Old 09-27-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
JEEZ, It looks NEW!
Behold the power of free time, a 6 pack, and my porter cable buffer!

Old 09-27-2017, 03:11 PM

jealous!

for fun you should go to San Diego CL and search conversion van with price limit of 3k.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:

Wow....taht thing is legit!

Love the old school paint scheme also. Great find.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Thank you , I've just spent the last 20 minutes scouring Craigslist.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:55 PM

i've been living out of my hatchback for the past year. not out of choice or for fun or #vanlife, but out of desperation- i've been unable to find a job with my degree and unable to afford rent.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
i've been living out of my hatchback for the past year. not out of choice or for fun or #vanlife, but out of desperation- i've been unable to find a job with my degree and unable to afford rent.
That’s rough! Are you at least staying in a decent area where you can hike/bike to regain some sanity? Are you open to moving anywhere in the US? Seems like this forum has a big enough “network” to find you some leads!
Old 09-27-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
for fun you should go to San Diego CL and search conversion van with price limit of 3k.
First one: https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/...312791297.html

Move to $5k and there’s some good 4x4 projects!
Old 09-27-2017, 04:37 PM
Vendor

That brings back memories. My dad bought a van just like that when my siblings and I were growing up. I remember lots of trips to Canada, the swiveling captain chairs covered in velvet where I'd always get car sick if I even just attempted a swivel, and a small table in the middle. Sometimes my dad would crawl back there for a nap while waiting for us to finish soccer practice.

Quote:

Old 09-27-2017, 06:41 PM
Administrator

That's cool but....

Quote:

SEINFELD'S VAN!! SEINFELD'S VAN!!!

William
Old 09-27-2017, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Stay wherever you like....

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Delica2.jpg (61.1 KB, 488 views)
Old 09-27-2017, 07:47 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
Quote:
That’s rough! Are you at least staying in a decent area where you can hike/bike to regain some sanity? Are you open to moving anywhere in the US? Seems like this forum has a big enough “network” to find you some leads!
I think he's got bigger things to worry about than biking...