Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2017, 09:28 AM

Flashlight recommendation?

Just got a car for my son to have while at college.
Putting together a "kit" to keep in the trunk. This includes a good set of jumper cables, safety triangles, some basic tools, and I'd like a good flashlight. Agenda here is to make any sort of breakdown as safe as possible...

I did a search and I don't see anything recent and I imagine that this technology is constantly evolving.
Any recommendations? Seems like $40-$50 can buy a heck of an option without going too, too nuts.

Current options/brands I'm considering include:
Streamlight
Olight
Maratac
Foursevens
Anker

And it starts to get crazy-complicated for what seems like it should be a fairly simple decision.

Any advice?
Old 10-11-2017, 09:42 AM

I spend a certain amount of time in my work crawling around attics and crawl spaces. I use an LED flashlight from Fenix, the TK35, which uses two 18650 rechargeable batteries. I pair that with their HL55 headlamp, which uses a single 18650, and the headlamp, being hands-free, is actually more useful. Finally, my movable LED bike headlight is also by Fenix, also uses a single 18650 battery, and is the BC21R.
Not cheap, but super high quality, great customer service, very reliable, and it's really nice to have interchangeable batteries and a single charger.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:55 AM
Administrator

This is cheaper option...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rayovac-W...A-BC/206767090

That said, I have used this for tac-flashlight training and they have held up to the abuse and impact that we put them through. The rubber ends absorb impact so it's a bit safer if you get hit with it but it also does a good job of protecting it if and when it gets dropped. Super bright with two brightness modes, tough aluminum body, and cheap. A no brainer to me for keeping in the car.

William
Old 10-11-2017, 10:07 AM

I've got a number of the inexpensive Tasco and Duracell branded flashlights that Sams/Costco often times has as a 3 for $20.00 pack that have all worked fine. I believe they're 300 lumen lights which are plenty bright and they've all been durable.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:11 AM

I don't have any real advice except to say don't get too nuts. the kid will bust out his iPhone for a flashlight well before he'll go to the trunk. trunk flashlight will only get used if the phone dies or if he can't reach help by phone and has to walk somewhere. and it's dark, obviously. so maybe focus on longer run time versus more lumens?
Old 10-11-2017, 10:16 AM

^ great point.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:31 AM

I didn't read all the responses and I have no recommendation but I wonder: since the OP is assembling an emergency kit for an automobile I'd think that a light that could be propped up to shine on a wheel to help a guy change a wheel at night. Maybe a "normal" stick shape light would be ok if it had a wide-angle pattern of light?
Old 10-11-2017, 10:35 AM
Serotta Newbie

Jumper cables are so "90's"

Take a look at this option, jumps your car, flashlight, and charges your phone too. Many different offerings, this is one I just bought for myself.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-11-2017, 10:24 AM
Classics Fan

I personally have an LL Bean wind up flash light similar to this one.

My personal view, living in the Northeast is that lots of freeze/thaw cycles, you forget to change the batteries after a while.... I'd rather have something that provides some light on demand, than a super nice flashlight that could be dead.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
I personally have an LL Bean wind up flash light similar to this one.

My personal view, living in the Northeast is that lots of freeze/thaw cycles, you forget to change the batteries after a while.... I'd rather have something that provides some light on demand, than a super nice flashlight that could be dead.
You make a very good point about charging and infrequent use, but we've had one or two of those wind up ones die after a long period of not winding them up. Based on that, I'm not sure they're the best solution for this use case. Unfortunately, I don't have a better answer.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Even emergency kits need maintenance. Flashlight and extra batteries should be there and changed out every so often.

As far as the hands free point, I would go with NHaero's and gdw's point about a headband light in addition to the option I posted above.

William
Old 10-11-2017, 10:39 AM

I keep a headlamp in the center console for general and emergency use. It provides plenty of light and allows me to work with both hands. Princeton Tec and Black Diamond as well as a number of other companies offer a wide variety of models in your price range.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
I keep a headlamp in the center console for general and emergency use. It provides plenty of light and allows me to work with both hands. Princeton Tec and Black Diamond as well as a number of other companies offer a wide variety of models in your price range.
This ^

That said if you want a flashlight this one is great.

http://www.theemsstore.com/store/pro...yABEgIbM_D_BwE
Old 10-11-2017, 04:40 PM

I live with flashlights and every time I go into a disaster area I bring a pack with at least a dozen flashlights. There are some super-cheap Mini MagLites (the LED version at least) that are basically giveaways I don't expect to get back. Then there are some intermediate grade ones (mostly Fenix which I can get at a big professional discount) that put out a ton of light and take CR123a batteries. And then I have a couple really nice ones for my own use, mostly Elzetta's, and I make sure I bring those home with me. They also take CR123a's.

Here's the deal. Whatever you use, replace the original batteries with lithium ion ones. They can sit for twenty years without losing power. They work in the cold where alkaline batteries lose all power. And when you use them they give you 3-4 times the amount of use before they fade. And if you need a compact 2200 lumen flashlight that's compatible with all your other lighting equipment, you can load eight CR123a's at a time into these scorchers and have enough light to signal to passing airliners.

I prefer the CR123a batteries because they have more capacity than AAA's and AA's and because I have the option with most 2-battery CR123a flashlights of using the rechargeable 18650 substitutes (one 18650 = 2 CR123a). However, I use the 18650's rarely and absolutely do not rely on the 18650's as my only battery. They don't last anywhere near as long and if they run down and you don't have 110 volts and a charger, you're hosed. I carry spare CR123a's in little plastic clips that keep them save (Powerpax Storacell's from Amazon, about $5 for a clip that holds four CR123a's). The batteries I have now are all expiration dated about 20 years out. I can live with that. Buy bulk batteries from Amazon (the Surefire brand ones are inexpensive in boxes of a dozen and work really well.).
Old 10-11-2017, 05:03 PM
il Curmudgeoni

I use a flashlight at work every day. I used to carry a Streamlight Stinger LED but a couple of years ago I switched to an Olight S30RII. Both are rechargeable and have multiple output settings.

The Streamlight is a nice flashlight though it is on the larger side. The beam is strong and bright and has a decent runtime. You can buy it in various forms, the most expensive comes with both AC and DC chargers so it can be recharged in a vehicle. It takes a proprietary battery though replacements are inexpensive.

The Olight is beam is almost as strong/bright as the Streamlight but is physically much smaller. The charger is USB based so it's easy to charge in a vehicle as well. It takes a proprietary 18650 battery although you can use CR123s if needed. It also has a magnetic end which can come in very handy....it can be held in place by sticking it on something metal.

If I had to pick one of the two it would be the Olight. The smaller form factor is a big reason in my choice.

The recommendation for a Petzl headlamp is also good. They are good quality and very nice to have when you need both hands free.