Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
There are at least three things that qualify this frame for a significant premium over most c40's that may sell on the second hand market at lower prices...
*It is NOS
*It is one of the most desirable versions of the C40
*It is the most iconic and sought after paint scheme for the C40
esto

a new C59 Mapei would probably grab around 3 large on ebay. this is nicer.

to value this bika, one has to think as a Colnago cat. no better carbon than Colnago, end of story (at least that's what we Colnago dorks believe)
Old 05-04-2016, 12:28 PM

I allign with previous post circa $3500us is realistic. I have a (used)C50 in PR00 which is fantastic, and I have had offers on at around $2200 - 2500. But a C40 is better, and that paint scheme really is a bit of a "signature" .

Alan
Old 05-04-2016, 12:38 PM

I'm thinking no more than 1500.

But further....how does a NOS C40 even exist? Seems kind of hard to believe. Sure it isn't lightly used and/or a repaint?
Old 05-04-2016, 12:48 PM
Vendor

Or you could just get a Mapei C-59...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SavileRoad010416_130.jpg (34.7 KB, 207 views)
Old 05-04-2016, 12:51 PM

On a related note...I got a stern warning via PM from an admin on this forum back when it was a Serotta forum...The offense? Upon the introduction of the $8000 Meivici, it was suggested that it was WAY overpriced...and it was....In its defense, people were pointing out that it had a lifetime warranty (try making a claim now....) I suggested that one could buy TWO Colnago c40's at the time-the most proven carbon frame of all time....leave one in the box as a warranty replacement if you wanted and at the price for which they were selling in the day, you could still have enough left over for a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbones...
Old 05-04-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
I'm thinking no more than 1500.

But further....how does a NOS C40 even exist? Seems kind of hard to believe. Sure it isn't lightly used and/or a repaint?
"Oldguy", Not hard to believe in the least. I have numerous NOS road bikes in the stable and some MUCH older then a C40.

As a freakish long-time collector I see numerous NOS bikes/frames available for sale each month. Barn/garage finds, storage unit discoveries, other collectors selling pieces, bike shops that have set abandon for years that are finally being purchased and inventory sold etc. A trip to Europe and a search of tiny bike shops will uncover incredible NOS gems in back rooms, hanging from ceilings and in basement storage areas that have been long forgotten.

Here's a GIOS I sold recently that had been in my collection for probably 15yrs, completely NOS and much older then that C40.
The back story: Good friend of mine has been buying storage units in Florida since WAY before it became "the thing". He knew I was into photography and cycling and whenever he scored a unit containing either he'd contact me and I'd help him "appraise" the inventory. The pay-back was, I got first option to buy anything and everything if I wanted to. He purchased a tiny storage unit and called saying it contained a bunch of bikes still in shipping boxes, never opened. I ask him to email details on what the tags on the boxes said so I could try and figure out what they were, dept store junk or perhaps the "gold at the end of the rainbow". Needless to say, it was the later...I forget how many cases but 10-15 if I remember correctly. Incredible bikes. He paid $200 for the unit! As all of us collectors say, "They're out there, ya just gotta find them...". Pertains to about anything and everything.

The GIOS:
[IMG]IMG_6713 by KRhea FrzFrmFoto, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 05-04-2016, 03:53 PM

Oh my, that's tremendous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhea View Post
"Oldguy", Not hard to believe in the least. I have numerous NOS road bikes in the stable and some MUCH older then a C40.

As a freakish long-time collector I see numerous NOS bikes/frames available for sale each month. Barn/garage finds, storage unit discoveries, other collectors selling pieces, bike shops that have set abandon for years that are finally being purchased and inventory sold etc. A trip to Europe and a search of tiny bike shops will uncover incredible NOS gems in back rooms, hanging from ceilings and in basement storage areas that have been long forgotten.

Here's a GIOS I sold recently that had been in my collection for probably 15yrs, completely NOS and much older then that C40.
The back story: Good friend of mine has been buying storage units in Florida since WAY before it became "the thing". He knew I was into photography and cycling and whenever he scored a unit containing either he'd contact me and I'd help him "appraise" the inventory. The pay-back was, I got first option to buy anything and everything if I wanted to. He purchased a tiny storage unit and called saying it contained a bunch of bikes still in shipping boxes, never opened. I ask him to email details on what the tags on the boxes said so I could try and figure out what they were, dept store junk or perhaps the "gold at the end of the rainbow". Needless to say, it was the later...I forget how many cases but 10-15 if I remember correctly. Incredible bikes. He paid $200 for the unit! As all of us collectors say, "They're out there, ya just gotta find them...". Pertains to about anything and everything.

The GIOS:
[IMG]IMG_6713 by KRhea FrzFrmFoto, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 05-04-2016, 04:01 PM

One of my friends sold one like a year ago, still in the polystyrene box, actually when he sold was the 1st time the box got open. Sick.

My next colnago has to be one of those c59s with the cubes paint job... the question is to find one, second question, where do i get the money

Oldguy, there's still NOS frames moving around but as happens with cars, at the time of pricing them you have to factor the age of the bike anyways. Is like trying to get somebody to pay 50.000 bucks for a 70s 4 doors diesel mecedez, no matter how new it is, it wont bring 50.000 bucks ever. So far I know one c40 brand new in the box, so there are still around.

Last edited by ultraman6970; 05-04-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerv View Post
I'd factor in the cost of the Colnago 28.0 seatpost. Can be hard to find and pricy when you do. Unless you plan to shim it of course...
I just bought a spare 28.0 Colnago Seatpost from eBay New Old Stock (NOS) from Italy for $150. Came super fast and is in perfect shape. I don't know where the seller is getting all of them from but he relisted another one as soon as someone hits the buy-it-now button.

But typically you are right I have seen old beat up 28.0 post selling on eBay for $300 plus dollars. I am tempted to buy a bunch from the guy on eBay and just hang on to them. Sell them years later and get a NOS C-70 after the C-90's are out. LOL.

I paid top dollar for NOS D/A 7810 pedals right here on Paceline. My Moots VaMoots SL is the only bike I ever bought brand new. At the time I used Mountain Pedals on it. When I finally came to my right mind and wanted to switch over to road pedals I wanted period correct pedals. In my simpleton mind I need to only put new parts on my VaMoots SL so I had to pay a premium to get NOS pedals. Then I clipped in once and ruined the NOS portion of the purchase. Now you can't tell they are just a beat up as the rest of the bike.

When ever I need something new on the VaMoots SL those parts get handed down to my other bikes. Luckly it doesn't happen very often. I did get a New Brooks limited Swallow's Ti saddle so the Fizik Alainte is going on the C-50.

Back on topic, the NOS D/A Pedals were a 100% premium to me I paid twice what I could get a good used pair of 7810 pedals for.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:04 PM
Vendor

So... on the subject of Colnago C-40s... what would a Limited Gold Edition with full Campagnolo Record, Colnago Carbon wheels, with the brochure, watch and cap be worth?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SavileRoad010416_72.jpg (59.9 KB, 140 views)
Old 05-04-2016, 05:47 PM

Haven't done the test yet because i do not have a 27.2 carbon seatpost moving around. But the fit of those 28s is really tight in the frames, that I was thinking that maybe with 2 or 3 heavy coats of clear coat you can make it up for the 0.4 mm needed w/o any problems. Im talking about car grade polyurethane ok? I doubt rattle can from H/D will stand the abuse, neither get thick enough.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Haven't done the test yet because i do not have a 27.2 carbon seatpost moving around. But the fit of those 28s is really tight in the frames, that I was thinking that maybe with 2 or 3 heavy coats of clear coat you can make it up for the 0.4 mm needed w/o any problems. Im talking about car grade polyurethane ok? I doubt rattle can from H/D will stand the abuse, neither get thick enough.
Why NOT just buy the 28.0 NOS Carbon Colnago post off of eBay and be done? $150 seems super reasonable to me. Other carbon seatposts are much more expensive. I bought one just to have an extra insurance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-VINTAGE-...8AAOSwVL1V-9ep

You can also find the shims to convert it down to 27.2 then your seatpost selection is limitless. Heck I might buy one of those just to have for even more insurance. Thompson also made a limited run of 28.0 Seatpost they come up from time to time if aluminum is your thing.

Last edited by Satellite; 05-04-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhea View Post
The GIOS:
Beautiful.

That makes me pine for the old days, eagerly awaiting my Excel Sports catalog in the mail.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:22 PM
aka RAEKWON

@satellite you will probably sell that frame before you use that 28mm post. but don't worry I do that too, pile parts that I think I might need in the future. A huge waste of money but what can we do
Old 05-04-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
@satellite you will probably sell that frame before you use that 28mm post. but don't worry I do that too, pile parts that I think I might need in the future. A huge waste of money but what can we do
LOL you don't know me very well, never sold a bike. Okay NOT true but close to true.

But you are right the garage is full of insurance policies, especially drive train parts. Maybe just maybe if I actually rode my bike instead of just talking about them on Paceline then I would need the drive train components at a higher frequency.

Anyways to the OP buy the NOS C40 already, you know you want it price be damned.