Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2016, 03:53 PM

Specialized hubs w Campy? Why won't this work?

So, I am in the midst of putting together my Campy equipped commuter and I have come across a befuddling situation:

I have some Specialized Roval 29er (disc) wheels that have DT star ratchet guts. I bought a Campy/DT freehub body to fit onto the hub. It snapped on just as it should and I installed the Campy specific end cap as well. I installed the cassette (13-29 10spd) and it looks fine.

I install the wheel in the dropouts (a Redline titanium CX bike) and suddenly the freehub body starts binding and the wheel rotates only a few times before stopping.

SO, I take it to a pro local mechanic to have a look. The bearings are shot, so he replaces them, but he cannot pin down why the binding. He measures out the axles to be 139mm or so, which is clearly whack, as the wheels worked fine with a 10spd Shimano FHB on my Vicious 29er with 135mm dropouts and on my Chromag with 142mm dropouts (with different endcaps of course). He knows of a spacer that will allow a tiny gap btw the FHB and the hub flange, but that will ultimately make the axle width a mm or two wider, which will just add to the problems.

Does Specialized use a wider hub shell that won't allow Campy to be used? Everything clicked together nicely, but in the end, it doesn't line up. The mechanic said to just scrap it and return it to 10spd Shimano because it won't work.

Any thoughts? Modifying hubs seems a bit dodgy, but if there was something simple I could do, I might try it.

In the end, I have an alternative option, but my hope was to use these hubs on my commuter.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Darren
Old 05-03-2016, 03:58 PM

I vaguely remember details about the first 11s Shimano freehubs on Roval wheels and how they measured out at 136 instead of 135, which is minimal, (I think bikerumor touted it as a 'hack') but there may be issues if the wheels were 142+ flanged or the new SCS stuff.

I should ask to make sure you've got the campy end cap, because it's different than the shimano one.

not sure just thoughts, take it for what is is..
Old 05-03-2016, 03:59 PM
Administrator

13t catching on the inner face of the dropout?

Does the wheel and cassette rotate freely off the bike?
Old 05-03-2016, 04:07 PM

So, yes, as far as I know, it is the proper Campy end cap. I bought the FHB here and it was sold with the end cap. I suppose I can try the Shimano one to see what happens, but my guess is that the locking/13t cog will touch the dropout/chainstay.

It is not a Boost or 142+ hub. I used it on my 135mm QR hardtail and 10spd Shimano MTB stuff without any issue. I changed out end caps and used it on my 142mm hardtail as well.

Its a Campy thing ... .

Yes, Nick, it freewheels without the cassette on it. Once the skewer was tightened, it locked down even worse.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:47 PM

I get that. I successfully ran a SuperX disc with Mavic Crossmax29 wheels and 10s Daytona/Centaur drivetrain. First gen Crossmax29's direct swap the old Mavic freehub body from Shimano to Campy.

Your issue could be because it's a Specialized hub shell, but it would be interesting to see if a 11s Shimano road FHB worked out fine.
Only other thought would be 340 vs 350. They weren't the same and the hub side of the FHB is smaller on the 340..
Old 05-03-2016, 05:48 PM
Riding Along

Is there a sleeve type spacer that goes over the axle between the bearings in the hub and the bearings in the free hub? Without such a spacer you will crush the bearings when you tighten the skewer. There may be a specific width spacer for the campy free hub.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:25 AM

I did the same swap with the Roval Clx 60 road wheels just plug and play. No spacer and I reused the same endcap that came on the wheelset. Are you sure you have the correct body? I believe the rovals have a 240 level body. You may want to contact DT and see what they recommend.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:07 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
So, I am in the midst of putting together my Campy equipped commuter and I have come across a befuddling situation:

I have some Specialized Roval 29er (disc) wheels that have DT star ratchet guts. I bought a Campy/DT freehub body to fit onto the hub. It snapped on just as it should and I installed the Campy specific end cap as well. I installed the cassette (13-29 10spd) and it looks fine.

I install the wheel in the dropouts (a Redline titanium CX bike) and suddenly the freehub body starts binding and the wheel rotates only a few times before stopping.

SO, I take it to a pro local mechanic to have a look. The bearings are shot, so he replaces them, but he cannot pin down why the binding. He measures out the axles to be 139mm or so, which is clearly whack, as the wheels worked fine with a 10spd Shimano FHB on my Vicious 29er with 135mm dropouts and on my Chromag with 142mm dropouts (with different endcaps of course). He knows of a spacer that will allow a tiny gap btw the FHB and the hub flange, but that will ultimately make the axle width a mm or two wider, which will just add to the problems.

Does Specialized use a wider hub shell that won't allow Campy to be used? Everything clicked together nicely, but in the end, it doesn't line up. The mechanic said to just scrap it and return it to 10spd Shimano because it won't work.

Any thoughts? Modifying hubs seems a bit dodgy, but if there was something simple I could do, I might try it.

In the end, I have an alternative option, but my hope was to use these hubs on my commuter.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Darren
email this gent and ask him..DT tech in GrandJunction and he knows all DT

dagapito@dtswiss.com
Old 05-04-2016, 07:43 AM

It is an intentional design made by Campagnolo, they don't want their product on cheap shonky frames. So they use a stepped construction so the anything bigger than an 11T will rub, it's the same with the brake calipers and making sure that brake pads will rub on the tyre walls.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
It is an intentional design made by Campagnolo, they don't want their product on cheap shonky frames. So they use a stepped construction so the anything bigger than an 11T will rub, it's the same with the brake calipers and making sure that brake pads will rub on the tyre walls.
Weird - Campagnolo licensed out to DT with great results. DT licensed out to Specialized with great results. Its going on a nice old Redline titanium cyclocross frame. What in this combination is 'shonky'!?!? (PS love that term!)
Old 05-04-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
email this gent and ask him..DT tech in GrandJunction and he knows all DT

dagapito@dtswiss.com
Thanks Pete,

I pulled it apart last night and put the Campy FHB on the other wheelset which has DT350 hubs. All clicked together and worked like a charm. I think it is a quirk of the Specialized hub!
Old 05-04-2016, 12:07 PM

Closing this out, I got a swift response from Dave at DTSwiss USA and he said that the hub IS NOT compatible with Campy. There was a previous version that was, but apparently, mine was the next generation. Damn.

On to Plan B, which is a perfectly fine option...