Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2016, 09:30 AM
tailgunning

Is spooky coming back?

https://www.facebook.com/spookycycles/

cryptic, but it looks like mickey's coming back!
Old 03-14-2016, 10:23 AM
Category VI

Cryptic indeed!
Old 03-14-2016, 10:31 AM

I don't necessarily see why. Lots of options out there if you want custom aluminum these days at a variety of price points.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:49 AM
ergottWheels

The heyday of Spooky was when Frank the Welder was contract building them and the cost was something like $1200-$1300. Then it was a super "bargain" race bike with great geometry and (at least mine) clearance for up to 28mm tires. This was before the whole "all around" bike movement of these days.

Mickey is a very smart guy and knows how to design a great bike. The day to day business aspect of a company like Spooky is where things got difficult.

If Spooky is indeed back I hope is for the long haul.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:40 PM
Vendor

From what I heard, Mickey is not involved, an industry guy is having frames made by a fabrication shop (not FTW) using the Spooky name.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:32 PM

I don't see what the hype is all about. Mine has janky braze ons that interfere when turning the bars and barely clears 25's and by barely I mean 25's rub depending on what wheel I have on there.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:23 PM
aka RAEKWON

weird, mine fits 28mms easily but I do hate the HT stops on the havocstaff but what you gotta do.

I also don't think mickey is involved in this which sucks because he seems to know what he is doing with geo but maybe better as far as running businesses (we shall wait and see).

@ergott: I didn't know there was ever a time that a FTW welded spooky was $1300. I thought the $1300 frames were the ones welded in Portland and then when they went custom only by FTW they were over 2k.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:47 PM
ergottWheels

Unless I'm mistaken, there was a time FTW made them going back before Portland. Portland frames had less clearance. I could be wrong.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:53 PM

from what i know, mickey and frank the welder not involved.
i believe they will be fabbed in PDX still, but no idea on what the geo changes etc may be.

i know the guy who's licensed the name, so i don't want to blow up his spot. sort of an NDA/don't really know more than that.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:40 PM

If the former owner is involved, Mickey, run. He'll take your money and feed you a line of crap longer than the TDF covers kilometers. And when you get your frame, consider it a miracle if your front derailleur braze on is placed correctly.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:25 PM

as much as i love spookys, god i hope not. sometimes it's better to let sleeping dogs lie.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:11 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRider View Post
From what I heard, Mickey is not involved, an industry guy is having frames made by a fabrication shop (not FTW) using the Spooky name.
As I said before, Mickey is definitely not involved. With the demise of Zen there are a few "names" including Spooky looking for aluminum fabricators (contract builders).
K Bedford is still making aluminum road and TT/Tri frames under his name in his workshop.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
K Bedford is still making aluminum road and TT/Tri frames under his name in his workshop.
he also makes Gaulzetti's. would be weird to have Spooky and Gaulzetti made by the same person, but my guess is the geo, tubes used, paint and price point would make them pretty different.

I'm personally interested to see where this goes. always saw Spooky as nothing but balls-out, no-holds-barred, race bikes. I know they've had some fabrication issues and there's been some flakiness in the past; so having those issues fixed while still keeping the aforementioned mantra would be very cool.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:47 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
he also makes Gaulzetti's. would be weird to have Spooky and Gaulzetti made by the same person, but my guess is the geo, tubes used, paint and price point would make them pretty different.

I'm personally interested to see where this goes. always saw Spooky as nothing but balls-out, no-holds-barred, race bikes. I know they've had some fabrication issues and there's been some flakiness in the past; so having those issues fixed while still keeping the aforementioned mantra would be very cool.
K Bedford Customs stopped making the Gaulzetti frames many months ago. Craig is using a new contract builder. Kelly is focused on building his brand.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
K Bedford Customs stopped making the Gaulzetti frames many months ago. Craig is using a new contract builder. Kelly is focused on building his brand.
ah, I missed that. knew Craig was re-branding but didn't know he wasn't using Kelly any more. I had heard *rumors* that Craig was going to use Seven to build the frames, but never any confirmation of such.