Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2015, 02:27 PM
needs adult supervision

OT: For members in England, how is Leicester City atop EPL???

Leicester City is in first and Chelsea is flirting with relegation. Cats and dogs are truly sleeping together and the universe is out of whack. How is this happening??

(And how did my Gunners get Barca in the round of 16??)
Old 12-15-2015, 02:48 PM

I'm not UK based, but it seems like Leicester has a unified team with a belief that they can execute the Ranieri's tactics perfection. The players are all tasked with a game plan that fit's their strengths. Mahrez is having a breakout year as a young player and Vardy just came out of nowhere completely on fire.

Chelsea has been found out, they relied on moments of individual brilliance last year to win along with solid defending but it appears that complacency has caught up with them and teams are finding ways to beat them, which shatters the confidence of the team and unleashes this viscous cycle of losing and underperformance
Old 12-15-2015, 06:22 PM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

I would have said that they haven't played the big boys yet, but that cannot be the reason.

Partially they are not involved in Europa or Champions League, so they can focus domestically. That does help.

They can definitely turn it on & steal games, especially at the end of games. That one they "stole" vs Villa was incredible. Vardy & Mahrez are something special.

XMAS fixtures should be interesting. if they are still top of the table by then -- look out!

Hey, I am happy my Hornets are 7th on the table right now. Don't think they will stay there -- but this could be the first time they actually don't get relegated right after promoting! COYH!

Finally, this is straight hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KeG_i8CWE8
Old 12-15-2015, 06:30 PM

The pieces fit together, and haven't quite been run into the ground like Chelsea. Mourinho's press conferences are now appointment viewing. The meltdown in real time is a thing to behold.

I'd never complain about anything ever in sports again if Chelsea is relegated. Yeah, it won't happen, but I can have my dreams.

My Toffees keep doing Evertonian things. Just ticking along upper-mid table, Lukaku is doing some nice things up front, Barkley will probably get taken in a couple years by a bigger club, and John Stones won't be far behind.

As is usual for Roberto Martinez, the attacking end is fine, its the whole back line that's something of a mess. Course, this year they've had injuries galore and a murderer's row of a schedule.

Leicester are for real. Will they win the league? Eh, probably not. But can they punch around for Top 4? Sure, why not.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:58 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Partially they are not involved in Europa or Champions League, so they can focus domestically. That does help.
Great point. Some of Arsenal's injury woes certainly seem related to so many extra games, including the national matches many of their players contest.

Last edited by Climb01742; 12-15-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:59 PM

too bad Match of the Day doesn't have highlights of the game...
Old 12-15-2015, 07:00 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
I'd never complain about anything ever in sports again if Chelsea is relegated. Yeah, it won't happen, but I can have my dreams.
Me too. Seeing Jose's face the day that happens? Priceless. He defines wanker.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:55 PM

Meanwhile, Man U are out of the champions league, to the delight of City fans everywhere..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUW82WLC58k
Old 12-15-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
The pieces fit together, and haven't quite been run into the ground like Chelsea. Mourinho's press conferences are now appointment viewing. The meltdown in real time is a thing to behold.

My Toffees keep doing Evertonian things. Just ticking along upper-mid table, Lukaku is doing some nice things up front, Barkley will probably get taken in a couple years by a bigger club, and John Stones won't be far behind.

As is usual for Roberto Martinez, the attacking end is fine, its the whole back line that's something of a mess. Course, this year they've had injuries galore and a murderer's row of a schedule.

Leicester are for real. Will they win the league? Eh, probably not. But can they punch around for Top 4? Sure, why not.
My older boy decided before the season to rebel by pledging his fealty to Chelsea. Watching his misery has been a delight. That said, Mourinho pretty clearly just wants to be fired at this point, which makes me laugh and laugh.

And as much as you can bemoan Everton playing to type, is their any team more committed to being itself than Tottenham? I don't think so. "Ah, we're at home against a mid-table club? And we have a chance to solidify our standing in the top four? Well, let's play a lackluster second half and then piss the match away in the final minutes." Gah.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Leicester City is in first and Chelsea is flirting with relegation. Cats and dogs are truly sleeping together and the universe is out of whack. How is this happening??

(And how did my Gunners get Barca in the round of 16??)
Gunners getting Barca is just as bad as my Italian teams - juve getting BM, or Roma getting RM -

What a difference a year makes - The blues are just a point off the relegation zone - Mourinho must be sweating as Abramovich does not seem like a patient guy- ask Ancelotti.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:58 PM

i actually would liked to have watched Chicharito tear it up in Champions League, and they really ought to have been there instead of Roma...
Old 12-16-2015, 05:35 AM

Quote:

The problem is who would replace Jose? I was convinced he was gone after the loss to West Ham. Agreed about his after match press conferences -- they are brilliant stuff.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
My older boy decided before the season to rebel by pledging his fealty to Chelsea. Watching his misery has been a delight. That said, Mourinho pretty clearly just wants to be fired at this point, which makes me laugh and laugh.

And as much as you can bemoan Everton playing to type, is their any team more committed to being itself than Tottenham? I don't think so. "Ah, we're at home against a mid-table club? And we have a chance to solidify our standing in the top four? Well, let's play a lackluster second half and then piss the match away in the final minutes." Gah.
No kidding, I hope he doesn't get sacked until the end of the season so this comedy can continue.

I actually feel for Hazard as he is one of my favorite players and I don't think he deserves this circus.

I watched the match on Monday and watching LC was great: hard work, high pressure and energy usually lead to good things.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:44 AM

Mourinho's buyout clause has to be nuts right?

That has to be at least part of why he hasn't been fired yet.

It's a two fold problem. He did nothing to improve the team in the summer transfer, other than fruitlessly pursue Stones. And now the team looks like old garbage.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:40 AM

He has TONS of talent - Hazard, Willian, Remy, Oscar, Costa, Ramires, Fabregas, Matic, Courtois -- any team would kill to have even some of those players.

His problem is defense. They cannot grind out wins like they have in the past. Stick Mikel in at the 60 min mark & shut down the opposition -- just doesn't work any more.

Terry is done. Ivanovic is done. I am not convinced on Zouma (he seems overwhelmed). Cahill is the only quality back there (OK maybe Azpilicueta).

Could you imagine what someone like Roberto Martinez or Maurichio Pottechino could do with that team? Open, high tempo, possession-oriented soccer? That would be something incredible.