Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2014, 10:05 AM

"I'm curious to know why you went the custom route with them. Do you have pics of your ride?"

I got mixed up in the Saratoga Frameworks mess, in late February 2014; basically Saratoga Frameworks was commissioned to make a custom steel frame for me and they went out of business suddenly The guys at Saratoga Frameworks got fired, then hired at No.22. The management at No.22 took me under their wing so-to-speak and produced a Ti frame/bike for me using the geometry they had rescued from the Saratoga Frameworks computer They turned a very frustrating experience into a happy ending for me. The build is top notch, the geometry is perfect for me. The "ride" is "different", as I had never ridden anything but Steel. For certain it is lighter and stiffer than steel. I've got about 600-700 miles on it now and love it.

I'll post pics soon, haven't taken any yet.

Yes their factory is in Johnstown N.Y.
I got a tour of the facility at pickup.
They have some real old Bridgeport machinery, all made in the USA
Excellent people to work with. Highly recommended.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Mr Dobalina

Boy....talk about somebody coming to save the day/ creating real customer service. That's a great story!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northmeadow View Post
"I'm curious to know why you went the custom route with them. Do you have pics of your ride?"

I got mixed up in the Saratoga Frameworks mess, in late February 2014; basically Saratoga Frameworks was commissioned to make a custom steel frame for me and they went out of business suddenly The guys at Saratoga Frameworks got fired, then hired at No.22. The management at No.22 took me under their wing so-to-speak and produced a Ti frame/bike for me using the geometry they had rescued from the Saratoga Frameworks computer They turned a very frustrating experience into a happy ending for me. The build is top notch, the geometry is perfect for me. The "ride" is "different", as I had never ridden anything but Steel. For certain it is lighter and stiffer than steel. I've got about 600-700 miles on it now and love it.

I'll post pics soon, haven't taken any yet.

Yes their factory is in Johnstown N.Y.
I got a tour of the facility at pickup.
They have some real old Bridgeport machinery, all made in the USA
Excellent people to work with. Highly recommended.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:45 AM

Hi all,

Mike from No. 22 Bicycles here. Came across this thread this morning—I'm a frequent Paceline reader, but I don't usually have too much to say.

Just wanted to say "hello", and thanks for all of the kind words about our bikes and our team.

Also, a few people have commented on our use of PF30 bottom bracket shells as standard on our Great Divide model. I don't want to open a debate on the merits of press-fit versus threaded bottom brackets here (there's no shortage of strong opinions on both sides), but we are more than happy to build a Great Divide with a BSA threaded bottom bracket on request. We're adding the threaded option back largely due to the opinion on this (and other) forums—we'd hate for people to miss out on an otherwise outstanding bike over something as small as a bottom bracket standard.

Thanks again for the positive response, and for the constructive feedback.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Mike View Post
Hi all,

Mike from No. 22 Bicycles here. Came across this thread this morning—I'm a frequent Paceline reader, but I don't usually have too much to say.

Just wanted to say "hello", and thanks for all of the kind words about our bikes and our team.

Also, a few people have commented on our use of PF30 bottom bracket shells as standard on our Great Divide model. I don't want to open a debate on the merits of press-fit versus threaded bottom brackets here (there's no shortage of strong opinions on both sides), but we are more than happy to build a Great Divide with a BSA threaded bottom bracket on request. We're adding the threaded option back largely due to the opinion on this (and other) forums—we'd hate for people to miss out on an otherwise outstanding bike over something as small as a bottom bracket standard.

Welcome, Mike, and thanks for chiming in. Great of you guys to offer up this option rather than stake out a hard-and-fast position in the overwrought debate around BB standards. I'm working up the nerve to pitch to my wife me getting a Ti travel bike in 2015, and from what I'm seeing you've got a pretty stellar product. Good luck with everything.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Tom fKB

Don't know if it was related, but I was standing at a Stewart's on 29 out near where 30 comes south last summer about 100 miles into a warm day. I was on the CSi that day and some lady interrupted my zone out to say "Hey, that guy is saying hello". I returned to the local plane of consciousness and a young fellow points at the CSi and says "That's a really good bike", hopped in a car and drove off. It struck me as odd that someone would hone in on the bike like that in a spot where you generally don't get respect without a big internal combustion engine.

It's later than you think.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:50 PM
Veni.Vidi.Bici.

No22

Had the pleasure of meeting Mike and his Wife at the Ride for Heart.

Great great person to deal with, extremely friendly and knowledgeable.

We shared some conversation for a KM or two and parted ways.. His pricing was ridiculously low when he was trying to break into the market here.

Wish I had the funds for it.

But I would back that purchase 100%
Old 08-06-2014, 05:03 PM

William - builder's spotlight (cough, cough).
Old 08-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS View Post
William - builder's spotlight (cough, cough).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roger-that.jpg (15.5 KB, 533 views)
Old 08-06-2014, 05:44 PM
Made in Belgium

Quote:
... but we are more than happy to build a Great Divide with a BSA threaded bottom bracket on request.
For real?

Damn.

I have to revise my priorities now!

I forgot to say that I got in touch several times with Bryce - the other half of No. 22 - and he has been very nice to chat with. Fast replies. He knows bikes. He is cool.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:35 PM

Where, exactly, in Johnstown?

My Dad grew up in Johnstown and I used to ride with the crew out of the local shop the (The Bike Works). I'm not surprised at all that a "local" might yell out praise for a Serotta. There were a good number of them in that area when I was there (late 80s, early 90s) with the factory only 30 miles or so away.

I'm curious of the specific location. From the picture on their website, it looks like a place where my Grandma used to work way back when...

So many great options...but the proximity to "home" makes me interested
Old 08-06-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:

We're adding the threaded option back largely due to the opinion on this (and other) forums—we'd hate for people to miss out on an otherwise outstanding bike over something as small as a bottom bracket standard.

Awesome that the option is available. It's not a small thing for people who have had to replace BB30/PF30 bearings every 2000 miles or have to deal with their bike creaking every time they exhale.

Other than that, best of luck on your venture. The bikes look dope.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcollard View Post
For real?

Damn.

I have to revise my priorities now!

I forgot to say that I got in touch several times with Bryce - the other half of No. 22 - and he has been very nice to chat with. Fast replies. He knows bikes. He is cool.
Yep , food for thought. Frame set with Enve fork, Chris King headset and Thomson seat post clamp $2899.00
Old 08-06-2014, 08:40 PM
Mr Dobalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
Awesome that the option is available. It's not a small thing for people who have had to replace BB30/PF30 bearings every 2000 miles or have to deal with their bike creaking every time they exhale.

Other than that, best of luck on your venture. The bikes look dope.
Not defending the standard, but I've got 4k on my ck pf30 bb and have had no idea it's even there.

I've heard similar stories about the praxis ones.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:58 PM

Minor thread drift...

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerescuefin View Post
Not defending the standard, but I've got 4k on my ck pf30 bb and have had no idea it's even there.

I've had 3 BB30/PF30 bikes. One creaked, one needed a new DS bearing after 1500 miles, the other was fine cept it would hardly free spin one revolution. That said, it's almost worth putting up w/ those issues to run Hollowgrams.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerescuefin View Post

For me it's about running my favorite Sugino cranks.