Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2014, 10:12 PM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Mike View Post
Hi all,

Mike from No. 22 Bicycles here. Came across this thread this morning—I'm a frequent Paceline reader, but I don't usually have too much to say.

Just wanted to say "hello", and thanks for all of the kind words about our bikes and our team.

Also, a few people have commented on our use of PF30 bottom bracket shells as standard on our Great Divide model. I don't want to open a debate on the merits of press-fit versus threaded bottom brackets here (there's no shortage of strong opinions on both sides), but we are more than happy to build a Great Divide with a BSA threaded bottom bracket on request. We're adding the threaded option back largely due to the opinion on this (and other) forums—we'd hate for people to miss out on an otherwise outstanding bike over something as small as a bottom bracket standard.

Thanks again for the positive response, and for the constructive feedback.
sweet Pacenti wheelset on the web-model bike, but then list Reynolds wheels in the spec sheet. Just wondering if that's switchable too?
Joe
Old 08-07-2014, 12:00 AM

Northmeadow/mike, how did custom cost? This is very tempting..

Would like more info on process...William, eta on guest builder series? 😀
Old 08-07-2014, 06:37 AM

Here's a few pics..

They are on West Montgomery St., just west of Meadow St.
Thanks again Mike and Scott and company.

Last edited by Northmeadow; 08-08-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerescuefin View Post
Not defending the standard, but I've got 4k on my ck pf30 bb and have had no idea it's even there.

I've heard similar stories about the praxis ones.
Hear to say that the Praxis has been amazing for me. It also helped with an alloy frame that had the BB slightly out of tolerance, so a BB30 bearing wouldn't stay seated. But I was able to mount up the Praxis and haven't had a single issue.

Also, super-massive rad points for the Bob Dobalina signature. Now that'll be stuck in my head all day...
Old 08-07-2014, 08:16 AM

Thanks again for the feedback and questions, all. I'll do my best to keep an eye on this thread, but please feel free to email me at mike@22bicycles with any more specific questions. Also happy to do a Builder Spotlight rather than highjack earlfoss' original thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephr View Post
sweet Pacenti wheelset on the web-model bike, but then list Reynolds wheels in the spec sheet. Just wondering if that's switchable too?
Joe
Thanks—the Pacenti wheelset is something that we've been building in-house since 2013. Earlier this year we were fairly tied up with setting up our new Johnstown facility, and we decided to switch to the Reynolds wheels in order to free up more time to set up and build frames. We're through that transition now, though, so we're switching back to the Pacenti SL23 wheels as our more permanent solution. We should have wheels ready to ship with full builds by early September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcollard View Post
I forgot to say that I got in touch several times with Bryce - the other half of No. 22 - and he has been very nice to chat with. Fast replies. He knows bikes. He is cool.
Don't tell Bryce—it'll go straight to his head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTCaraco View Post
I'm curious of the specific location. From the picture on their website, it looks like a place where my Grandma used to work way back when...

So many great options...but the proximity to "home" makes me interested
Northmeadow was kind enough to answer this one, but just to confirm we're in a unit in the old mill building at 309 W. Montgomery. It's a beautiful spot with great access to riding at our doorstep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColnagoFan View Post
Hear to say that the Praxis has been amazing for me. It also helped with an alloy frame that had the BB slightly out of tolerance, so a BB30 bearing wouldn't stay seated. But I was able to mount up the Praxis and haven't had a single issue.
I really don't want to set off the powderkeg of threaded vs. press fit bottom brackets, but I will say that we use Praxis and Chris King PF30 bottom brackets almost exclusively now, and we have been very happy with both. That said, if you prefer a threaded BB for any reason, that's no problem.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Mike View Post
Northmeadow was kind enough to answer this one, but just to confirm we're in a unit in the old mill building at 309 W. Montgomery. It's a beautiful spot with great access to riding at our doorstep.
0.4 miles from where Grandma lived...different building than where she worked, but definitely a neighborhood that I'm familiar with.
I'll have to stop in some time when I'm in the general area visiting my folks...
Old 05-04-2016, 07:25 PM

Has anybody seen any ride reviews on these bikes? They look nice, and I like the graphics
Old 05-04-2016, 07:39 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmill View Post
Has anybody seen any ride reviews on these bikes? They look nice, and I like the graphics
i have several friends who own multiple 22's with nothing but great things to say about em. if i was in the market i would seriously consider hitting them up, their reactor frame looks amazing.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:09 PM

Been to the shop and talked with Scott. The bikes all look top level and reviews are favorable. I have been thinking about getting myself a drifter some time this summer.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
The bikes look good and I hope they do well but the name of the company is a poor choice. It's too close to Twenty 2 Cycles of Colorado and might confuse some potential customers.
http://twenty2cycles.com/
I was reading this thread thinking "NY? I thought they were in Colorado".
Old 05-04-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColnagoFan View Post
The Campy cups kept "pulling out" on me on a Ti frame. Installed Parlee cups and haven't had any issues since (this was before Praxis came out with their Campy adaptors)
Old 05-04-2016, 11:49 PM

Spoke with these guys at NAHBS. Really passionate and helpful. The new "Drifter" bike is incredible. I was on the fence between these guys and another builder some time ago, and it came down to steel vs Ti for me and I wanted steel. If I were to go Ti at some point, I would probably go with them--the thoughtfulness and quality, especially at their pricepoint is great.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:15 AM

I skimmed through the beginning of this thread with the complaints regarding use of PF30, thinking: "well there's great adaptors from praxis and wheels mfg that eliminate creaking, and besides I'm sure they'll just T47 thread it if you really want..." before realizing the thread started in 2014

and yeah, looks like T47 is their standard BB now.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:29 AM

If I ever sell my Pronto, a No.22 would be next up on my list, if only to maintain lineage and have another bike from Scott Hock

Buddy of mine has a reactor and is a pretty big fan.

Happy, I haven't looked into it, but why exactly would you be in for a geared little wing? Just curious Wonder if No.22 will ever be able to duplicate that legend rear end (that I know you love).

Oh, and Cyclesport in Park Ridge, NJ, is a No.22 retailer, from the best of my knowledge.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Been to the shop and talked with Scott. The bikes all look top level and reviews are favorable. I have been thinking about getting myself a drifter some time this summer.
Keep us posted on this one. I'm interested in the Drifter as well, and would like to hear your impressions if do go ahead with it.